Malthouse's rules analysis

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
Just read Mick Malthouses comments on the facts and fiction of football. He is pretty well on the mark except for his take on the rules not needing changes.
What Mick seems to forget is, that its not the excitement of close games that fans don't like, we love it, its the way the excitement is created sometimes by unbelievable umpiring and misreading , of very difficult to read, rules!

So grey, that it can lose a game!

Mick knows what he's talking about, he's been there , but his comments on it being normal , for a club at the bottom to be flogged by a top or higher up the ladder club.

Well you cannot make that comment when 4 to 6 clubs are not up to scratch and get belted on enough occasions to worry the fans of those clubs. Even the Sun shining newbie?

Even when they have a good start then run out of puff or nous to hold on, make crook decisions on field , pass badly and lately this year especially, hand balling to a team mate in a much worse situation.

If people can't see that football smarts is missing from some teams well who is recruiting footballers, only the smart recruiters.

Then you have an overload problem Mick and its about talent dilution!

Even with your allowance of a few defensive packs in our game well maybe we can put up with that , but not every second of a game, defensive fanaticism!

In the spectator sphere on a few occasions maybe, but like some games in the past few years, it looks shocking

Since the game has been complained about the last 2 to 3 months , I have noticed (any one else noticed)
THAT SOME GAMES HAVE BEEN OPENING UP A BIT MORE, WHERE AS OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS WE'VE HAD THE LOCK DOWN MAKE THE GAME LOOK LIKE RUGBY???

I think Gerard Healy brought it to the public's' notice, and out into the open.
And said what NO ONE else had, anfd put it into the public arena.

That the game looks terrible , sometimes , more than not. So somethings changed , but the rules as I watched yesterday,
and on so many occasions, have to be seriously looked at , our game is simple, Mick has been a coach he has a win at all costs bias, with money and the marketing being more important than anything , a coach only sets one thing in motion WIN WIN WIN .

That is not how we keep our traditional best game on earth, here with us still!

I'm not stupid neither are any of you folk out there that know what real good footy looks like, I've been whinging about this look for years.

Take a risk and attack, and have your defenders on the boil all the time, but , take the risk and attack!

Simple answer anyway, too many teams, and a terribly compromised AFL. We have to live with that mistake by the AFL, so lets start by fixing the rule call, and not a guessing game, not just by umpires but by the poor bleeding spectators!

But mainly, every week we see games turned around on umpiring decisions, we see differentumpires call different things for the same "infringement" .

We see umpires pick no free out of an incident then seconds later pay a free for the same thing to someone else!(Saints v Ess, Friday)

Mick the excitement is fine mate, but not at the expense of meritorious football playing, BY PLAYERS!

But by umpires "grey ruled" out of any sense of fairness. It has become almost an impossible set up to get it 99% correct.

OUR GAME IS SIMPLE!

The rules should be able to be judged at nearly close to that.

Perfection is an impossibility , but these days we have just mind boggling things happen ,and everyone knows it from every club, its not the umpires Mick????

It's the impossible over adjudication of a simple game.

That is all.

One thing too, about the AFLW competition you wrote on that too, your correct!

Their season needs to be longer and the National AFLW needs to remain at about 10 clubs at the most, or it'll be diluted .

And it'll fall over, if the AFL wants this to succeed it has to get this right , so people will go to games and PAY TO GET IN!!!!

If that doesn't happen and we have women's national teams up round 18 clubs , I can tell you, it won't work.

Dilution will annihilate the game.

So AFLW .......go for broke Girls and don't have less games have more , but also don't dilute it either! The state womens leagues can have as many teams as is needed or wanted, they will be the nest for the 8 TO 10 AFLW clubs.

Be told for once AFL!!!!

That's funny, because I also just read Mick Malthouse comments on the facts and fiction of football. He is pretty well on the mark except for his take on the rules not needing changes.
What Mick seems to forget is, that its not the excitement of close games that fans don't like, we love it, its the way the excitement is created sometimes by unbelievable umpiring and misreading , of very difficult to read, rules!

Mick knows what he's talking about, he's been there , but his comments on it being normal , for a club at the bottom to be flogged by a top or higher up the ladder club.

Well you cannot make that comment when 4 to 6 clubs are not up to scratch and get belted on enough occasions to worry the fans of those clubs. Even the Sun shining newbie?

Even when they have a good start then run out of puff or nous to hold on, make crook decisions on field , pass badly and lately this year especially, hand balling to a team mate in a much worse situation.

If people can't see that football smarts is missing from some teams well who is recruiting footballers, only the smart recruiters.

Even with your allowance of a few defensive packs in our game well maybe we can put up with that , but not every second of a game, defensive fanaticism!

In the spectator sphere on a few occasions maybe, but like some games in the past few years, it looks shocking

Since the game has been complained about the last 2 to 3 months , I have noticed (any one else noticed)
THAT SOME GAMES HAVE BEEN OPENING UP A BIT MORE, WHERE AS OVER THE LAST 6 YEARS WE'VE HAD THE LOCK DOWN MAKE THE GAME LOOK LIKE RUGBY???

That the game looks terrible , sometimes , more than not. So somethings changed , but the rules as I watched yesterday,
and on so many occasions, have to be seriously looked at , our game is simple, Mick has been a coach he has a win at all costs bias, with money and the marketing being more important than anything , a coach only sets one thing in motion WIN WIN WIN .

I'm not stupid neither are any of you folk out there that know what real good footy looks like, I've been whinging about this look for years.

Take a risk and attack, and have your defenders on the boil all the time, but , take the risk and attack!

Simple answer anyway, too many teams, and a terribly compromised AFL. We have to live with that mistake by the AFL, so lets start by fixing the rule call, and not a guessing game, not just by umpires but by the poor bleeding spectators!

But mainly, every week we see games turned around on umpiring decisions, we see differentumpires call different things for the same "infringement" .

We see umpires pick no free out of an incident then seconds later pay a free for the same thing to someone else!(Saints v Ess, Friday)

Mick the excitement is fine mate, but not at the expense of meritorious football playing, BY PLAYERS!

But by umpires "grey ruled" out of any sense of fairness. It has become almost an impossible set up to get it 99% correct.

OUR GAME IS SIMPLE!

Perfection is an impossibility , but these days we have just mind boggling things happen ,and everyone knows it from every club, its not the umpires Mick????

That is all.

Their season needs to be longer and the National AFLW needs to remain at about 10 clubs at the most, or it'll be diluted .

And it'll fall over, if the AFL wants this to succeed it has to get this right , so people will go to games and PAY TO GET IN!!!!

If that doesn't happen and we have women's national teams up round 18 clubs , I can tell you, it won't work.

So AFLW .......go for broke Girls and don't have less games have more , but also don't dilute it either! The state womens leagues can have as many teams as is needed or wanted, they will be the nest for the 8 TO 10 AFLW clubs.

Be told for once AFL!!!!

Just read Mick Malthouses comments on the facts and fiction of football. He is pretty well on the mark except for his take on the rules not needing changes.

OUR GAME IS SIMPLE!

That is all.

Be told for once AFL!!!!
Mmmm
On the mens game, I really dont feel our talent is that diluted. The drafts were compromised for several years, but that's history now.
It probably has forced clubs to focus on their list management/recruiting strategy, but I'm not convinced that's a bad idea.
Recruiting mature age players from the WAFL fir example like Tim Kelly, Liam Ryan and Zac Langdon has given talented players an opportunity that wouldn't necessarily be there without more spots on AFL lists.
People go on about 9ur draft concessions, but Adam Kennedy was passed in his draft year. Without us he probably blnever gets a chance, and he clearly deserved one in hindsight.

:think: Totally in agreement about the AFLW. To hurt us traditional clubs by diluting the talent while continuing to offer a season of a couple of months is simply maladministration.

diluted talent only makes the stars shine even more and historically we had 30-40 great football teams with a smaller population.

The issue is the speed of the game and pressure. It in itself isn't a major issue but we allow sragging rather than paying holding the man. Get that interpretation right and enforce and existing rules of the game and suddenly problem solved.

diluted talent only makes the stars shine even more and historically we had 30-40 great football teams with a smaller population.

The issue is the speed of the game and pressure. It in itself isn't a major issue but we allow sragging rather than paying holding the man. Get that interpretation right and enforce and existing rules of the game and suddenly problem solved.

Yes I see the point of actually interpreting correctly and paying the right frees.
The pace of the game now is also something that may need looking at, because the game is so fast players injure themselves on the chase, without contact, Sydney's hero I call him, Alex Johnson has hurt his other knee trying to chase down a Demon today. So he will sit in that horrible place again wondering, 47 games in 8 years since he was picked up in 2010.
You have to have speed, but some humans bodies react in different ways when they have speed bursts, perhaps the cutting of interchange will slow things down and gather more football minds recruited onto the playing field? Not just rocket ships?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back