Markfs Media Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

finally the media has got another team whose supporters respond to bullshit stories...

11-Burning-Question-Tigers-AFL.jpg

It's over a week old but I just stumbled on this.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...e/news-story/e6f77594aca73ed013e7d8c54367eebc

It's interesting that Robinson starts acting like a reporter when the guy who he is reporting on, is doing the heavy lifting. David Cloke continues to have an interesting impact on Collingwood. I remember when he first came from the Tigers to play with the Pies. It wasn't a happy time for Pies supporters although he did ok. If I remember correctly, the club cut him at the end of the 1989 season, but maybe he wanted to go back to Richmond. At any rate, we made the right decision to move him on. Thank god we did that.

Since then, his kids have done ok at times then at other times......well...

I liked Jason's attitude but I could never understand why his father didn't teach him to kick. Cameron came and went....enough said. Travis has done some good things but he has carried with him a level of immaturity and super sensitivity... why didn't his brothers beat that crap out of him? It seems to go against all the usual brotherly thing.....maybe his parents hovered over him too much, protecting him...

And now David still goes to Pie games evidently.... this is rather surprising. It's a free world, of course, but hasn't someone told him that we would understand if he moved on..... please

In the end, I'm sort of ambivalent with the cloke klan's contribution over the years.... there's one part of me that is pretty unenthused about it, although I do recognise that Trav had a significant role in the premiership. Outside of that, we've had several years fixated on his performance, when in retrospect, we could have cast him adrift post premiership and got someone with a little more .....self confidence? maturity? leadership? I dunno but it would have been nice to swap him for Josh Kennedy a few years back who I watched last night and who is just concerned about the team.

And David is continuing to talk about how the coach didn't put things in place to make Trav a better player..... to highlight his strengths.... I can see that that might be a concern for a father but it doesn't worry me too much....especially now.... I sort of moved on. I hope David can do the same. The Bulldogs might be able to organise some decent seats at Etihad for the family...

It's good friday.... what can i say? I told myself that i'm going out into the garden and i'm making a public commitment to actually do something constructive before the game on tv..... but i was having brekky and hitting a few links and came upon this old story.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...f7cdc9a22f107d5b0c48933f27333?from=public_rss

The two biggest stuff-ups by barrett and hutchinson....

i must admit that the following line got me, "The former newspaper journalists turned TV personalities" Thats what i call accurate reporting.

The basis of the story rests on the two big mistakes by the two personalities. They admitted their errors and their parts in making the errors. I am not ignoring that the boys took it on the chin like two responsible citizens.

However, I am just suggesting that the article indicates a little wee bit of their mindset.

Barrett put out a story that Hawthorn was going to use Brisbane as a template to rebuild in 2003. It was a mistake. Why was it his biggest blooper? Well he nearly got sacked...... that was it. That was the key most important thing that came out of the escapade. Damo nearly got sacked. No one got hurt. No one had their reputation damaged forever. Damo nearly got sacked. Important stuffup indeed.

I just wonder if there isnt someone out there who was personally affected by a Damo story who might suggest that this story wasnt his biggest stuffup.

Lets have a look at Hutchy. Hutchy incorrectly reported that Kozi had done something illegal. Hutchy was wrong. Hutchy now says

“It was a bad mistake, it could have ended my journalism career ... and I’m very thankful to the Koschitzke family to this day,”

Do you get my point? Maybe it was a bad mistake because it could have destroyed an innocent young man's reputation.....but no, the key issue is that it could have ended Hutchy's career......read the story and try to find the bit where Hutchy rang up the Kozis and begged for forgiveness. It's not there, although I'm sure that Hutchy crawled up their backsides and rocked in the foetal position to get their forgiveness....... to save his job...

I rest my case.....

i was just looking at the footy feed on the news.com.au site. I saw the following.........

Former AFL great Liam Pickering said: “That’s dumb. Really dumb”.

Did the guy writing this knew he was lying when he wrote that? or was he paid to write it or did he just stumble into referring to a bloke who was just a solid player as a "great" because all ex-players who are playing a role in the AFL, must be a great. I'm not sure. I wouldnt put it past Pickering to have news.com.feed writers on the take. Slip them a few bucks on the side to encourage them to refer to him in positive terms. Good for business eh....

Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that Pickering is actually commenting on the demons-dockers game. He made the comment about brad hill....

so i checked who is brad hill's manager. it is stride sports management under Glen Archer...... a Liam Pickering competitor....so it's perfectly reasonable that brad hill was dumb...really dumb...

Anyone watching foxtel's coverage of the sydney "derby" should be half asleep by now. Foxtneeel keeps giving Sydney games to Paul Roos and the fact that sydney hasnt won a game this year, has made the telecast more like a funeral than a footy game.

I remember a few years ago, people used to complain about eddie doing the collingwood games..... too much enthusiasm for the pies too little for the opposition, they would say. Paul Roos sounds like he needs a huge dose of anti-depressants. His fellow commentators seem to pick up on his depression every week. I suppose sydney fans might like the telecast but the GWS fans - if there are any - must be sick of it.

i turned over to the Freo game.....and basil....omg...why is life so cruel

The Herald Sun is in the process of discussing who should be added to the legends in the Hall of Fame. Like a lot of discussions like this, people will have different opinions and there's no one real answer.

However, the list of the candidates had me scratching my head...but first you have to look at who is already in to see who should go in.

Darrel Baldock
Ron Barassi
Kevin Bartlett
Haydn Bunton Sr
Barry Cable
Roy Cazaly
John Coleman
Gordon Coventry
Jack Dyer
Graham "Polly" Farmer
Royce Hart
Peter Hudson
Bill Hutchison
Alex Jesaulenko
Tony Lockett
Leigh Matthews
James "Jock" McHale
Kevin Murray
John Nicholls
Bob Pratt
Dick Reynolds
Barrie Robran
Bob Skilton
Norm Smith
Ian Stewart
Ted Whitten

You have to wonder about the plethora of richmond and carlton players. Royce Hart was a great CHF and central to the richmond gameplan of the 60s/70s but he hasn't turned out to be a legend. The same is true for Ian Stewart who was an umpire favourite at the time but his legendary status has never really got a toe-hold. On the other hand, Jack Dyer is a legend.

Essendon has certainly pushed John Coleman's barrow for decades.... his greatness rests so much on a very short career. I've never agreed with it. However, I will admit that he has gathered legend status over the years. I'll also give them Dick Reynolds. You can't say that about Bill Hutchinson. Bill who??? Why is he in? Evidently he was judged the 4th best ever player at essendon....yup...so he must be a legend out at tullamarine...

Most of the rest I cant disagree with.

Robbo has put forward a few names. Maybe some are his drinking buddies. Once again, you have to question why stephen silvani and greg williams would be part of the discussion. SOS got away with blue murder manhandling tony lockett in the 90s. It was close to highway robbery or more accurately, sexual assault. Williams getting into the legends would mean that Sam mitchell is a certainty. Once again, Williams is probably a legend down at princess park but nowhere else. Robbo even added Jason Dunstall to the discussion ....at which stage I start to look at the names on the list above and shake my head.

Evidently, Louie will never make it. Anyone alive in melbourne in the 60s, 70s and 80s can only scratch their heads... I know his media career isnt considered but he was more than that. The only solace that I can take is that Robbo will never get in....but never say never...

i'm watching the coll v ess vfl game which sparked me writing this...

The Herald Sun is in the process of discussing who should be added to the legends in the Hall of Fame. Like a lot of discussions like this, people will have different opinions and there's no one real answer.

However, the list of the candidates had me scratching my head...but first you have to look at who is already in to see who should go in.

Darrel Baldock (Gun player but Daics and JG have him covered easily)
Ron Barassi (Has the premierships but was just a good tough player in his day)

Haydn Bunton Sr (Mum described him as a "pretty player")
Barry Cable (Great player but we only saw his last 100 games)
Roy Cazaly
John Coleman
(Gun, bit like JG...what could he have been?)
Gordon Coventry
Jack Dyer (LEGEND)
Graham "Polly" Farmer
(First of the Mobile Ruckmen)
Royce Hart (Was the cream in Tommy Hafey's brutal Tiger teams)
Peter Hudson (FREAK, I rank him with JG as the best Tasmanian I've seen)

Alex Jesaulenko (Peter McKenna kicked more goals, Jezza took one hanger!)
Tony Lockett (Plugger deserves to be there)
Leigh Matthews (Simply the best, best warrior, best leader, best hitman, best coach)
James "Jock" McHale (His record stands the test of time)
Kevin Murray (300+games in an era when 50 games was a milestone....never gave up...ever)
John Nicholls
(Overrated thug, Tuddy always had his measure)
Bob Pratt (Must have been a GUN)
Dick Reynolds
(Like Bunton, a slick player)
Barrie Robran (Saw him tear Vics apart in State Games)
Bob Skilton (GUN, second to Matthews)
Norm Smith (Better than Barassi)

Ted Whitten (Legend)

Where are Bob and Louie?

Where's Ablett (snr)? Brereton?

first two questions of today's media conference with buckley....

"at lou's funeral do you take a moment to reflect on your own situation?" Puzzled look from buckley "how so?"

and then the waver in the reporter's voice as he piddled in his pants and tried to explain himself.....i wonder if he worked all night to get the connection between lou's funeral and buckley coaching situation.

second question.

"what did you learn from losing in the carlton match?"....buckley replies "well we've played GWS since"...

Are these media people practising for careers in comedy?

the last question ...lol.... "you looked like a guy who had a lot on his mind" in a photo on social media. It seems that it was a photo of buckley coming out of the church from lou's funeral. I remember that i wasnt whistling after i left the funeral that i last attended......strike 2 with trying to tie something totally unrelated to buckley's current problems with the team...

first two questions of today's media conference with buckley....

"at lou's funeral do you take a moment to reflect on your own situation?" Puzzled look from buckley "how so?"

and then the waver in the reporter's voice as he piddled in his pants and tried to explain himself.....i wonder if he worked all night to get the connection between lou's funeral and buckley coaching situation.

second question.

"what did you learn from losing in the carlton match?"....buckley replies "well we've played GWS since"...

Are these media people practising for careers in comedy?

the last question ...lol.... "you looked like a guy who had a lot on his mind" in a photo on social media. It seems that it was a photo of buckley coming out of the church from lou's funeral. I remember that i wasnt whistling after i left the funeral that i last attended......strike 2 with trying to tie something totally unrelated to buckley's current problems with the team...

Media gotta lift.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched the game last night and Travis Cloke's situation consistently came to mind.

The first time was late in the second quarter and I was wondering if he had been put on the bench permanently. Maybe he had. Not only didn't I see him get any possessions, I didn't see him in the tv frame..... not even in passing.

In his previous life, this fact would have been discussed endlessly by the experts in Lingy and Wayne.... but we didn't get a peep out of them.

In fact, I think the first peep came from Bruce who said something in the second half about cloke having a stinker...

It was Bruce who nailed it when he said Cloke was a major factor in losing the game with his brain fade at the start of the last quarter. I didn't hear nothing much from the experts. Maybe they said more after the game. I turned it off early in the last few minutes.

It surprises me that Cloke is now flying under the radar after the media's attitude to him last year. I know a lot of steam has been taken out of it because he didn't cost the Dogs much and he's been paid a worker's wage but I find the way he played last night to an extremely interesting talking point and, at least by the telecast last night, the experts have seemed to move on.

I just watched the bevo news conference and the cloke incident was referred to at the start ....and bevo indicated his displeasure and said he wasn't going to hang players out to dry.....and that was it..

no questions about cloke's form....would he be in the side next week?...is he providing what he was recruited for? ...is it loss of form or has the game past him by? what about his contribution in the ruck?..

nuttin...nada... I expect that it's not a conscious decision to go easy on cloke. I also think the journos feel a lot better with going hard at buckley with the view of trying to get him to crack and they cant do that with bevo or don't want to ...

the media have always been like a pack of dogs...they seek out the weak and vulnerable....and last year that was cloke and buckley. They don't sniff any blood at the moment..

i'll be interested to see what happens to cloke at the selection table and how the media reacts to it if he gets a visit to the suburbs or country victoria

we all know that tony jones is paid by channel 9 but he's got a good point here

Channel Nine presenter rips Channel Seven

Channel Nine presenter Tony Jones has ripped Channel Seven for its coverage of Collingwood’s win over Hawthorn on Saturday night.

The veteran journalist unloaded over the rival network’s fascination with keeping its cameras on the famous leader of the Pies’ cheer squad, Joffa Corfe, for much of the game.

“Channel Seven, can you do me a favour with your coverage? To the producers and directors, I’ve had a gutful,” Jones said on the Sunday Footy Show.

“I can get copping Bucks (coach Nathan Buckley), I can get copping Eddie (president Eddie McGuire). How many shots of Joffa do we need through a telecast, alright? It’s not all about Joffa.

“Show me the six-year-old who wants some respect in the playground. Show me an 86-year-old who wants a little bit of respect going into bingo on Monday.

“There is more to the Collingwood Football Club than the cheerleader.

“I know Joffa’s probably a lovely bloke who does terrific stuff for the community but enough is enough. I don’t need to see Joffa every five minutes in a telecast.

“So Channel Seven, let’s make a deal — game over with Joffa.”

On a further note about the broadcast last night, dont ask channel 7 afl commentators to do your lip reading or mind reading jobs.....

last night they were absolutely woeful in trying to interpret what peter mckenna was saying to an opposing fan in the stands. Peter was pointing to his brain, as if he was saying you have lost your mind or something similar, but the seven team had an impression that he was talking about the pies comeback.....

and then there was treloar's impression of mitchell.... obviously making fun of the hawthorn players running style or something similar....the 7 commentators were obviously looking at another game at the time..

basil brush makes me yearn for bruce to do more games. i know bruce is suffering from cancer and i wish him well but please come back. We have been left with a moron...

Basil is a perth boy. He played for west perth and he is supposedly a star in perth society. He is seen in all the right places and is photographed all the time for the sunday social pages, which is a tribute to him as he is a very unattractive man. But it's not his distorted features that I have a problem with, it's his total inability to say anything meaningful.

I'm finishing with this thread. As i said in the director's thread, some might say good riddance and the overwhelming majority couldn't give a crap...but I've said so many times, i post on BF for my own enjoyment.

i wrote my wider thoughts about the media early but recent posts have become just a knee-jerking rant .... i need to learn to control myself....as shannon jmac noll would say, i gotta lift...

I think ive got one last thread in me as there's a ground hog day feel about the forum at the moment. Hopefully bucks will get the sack soon and we can start work on the new coach...

we all know that tony jones is paid by channel 9 but he's got a good point here

Channel Nine presenter rips Channel Seven

Channel Nine presenter Tony Jones has ripped Channel Seven for its coverage of Collingwood’s win over Hawthorn on Saturday night.

The veteran journalist unloaded over the rival network’s fascination with keeping its cameras on the famous leader of the Pies’ cheer squad, Joffa Corfe, for much of the game.

“Channel Seven, can you do me a favour with your coverage? To the producers and directors, I’ve had a gutful,” Jones said on the Sunday Footy Show.

“I can get copping Bucks (coach Nathan Buckley), I can get copping Eddie (president Eddie McGuire). How many shots of Joffa do we need through a telecast, alright? It’s not all about Joffa.

“Show me the six-year-old who wants some respect in the playground. Show me an 86-year-old who wants a little bit of respect going into bingo on Monday.

“There is more to the Collingwood Football Club than the cheerleader.

“I know Joffa’s probably a lovely bloke who does terrific stuff for the community but enough is enough. I don’t need to see Joffa every five minutes in a telecast.

“So Channel Seven, let’s make a deal — game over with Joffa.”

On a further note about the broadcast last night, dont ask channel 7 afl commentators to do your lip reading or mind reading jobs.....

last night they were absolutely woeful in trying to interpret what peter mckenna was saying to an opposing fan in the stands. Peter was pointing to his brain, as if he was saying you have lost your mind or something similar, but the seven team had an impression that he was talking about the pies comeback.....

and then there was treloar's impression of mitchell.... obviously making fun of the hawthorn players running style or something similar....the 7 commentators were obviously looking at another game at the time..

basil brush makes me yearn for bruce to do more games. i know bruce is suffering from cancer and i wish him well but please come back. We have been left with a moron...

Basil is a perth boy. He played for west perth and he is supposedly a star in perth society. He is seen in all the right places and is photographed all the time for the sunday social pages, which is a tribute to him as he is a very unattractive man. But it's not his distorted features that I have a problem with, it's his total inability to say anything meaningful.
Basil is painful. In the first half he was positively salivating at the prospect of Buckley's sacking. This combined with his borderline obsession with counting T Mitchell's meaningless possessions made the game the most inane commentary I can remember. How I pine for a sensible TV commentator who lets the pictures speak for themselves and provides embellishment when required. Just makes me think how good Doug Heywood was " Kink missed what he should have taken......Daicos....he's a genius. That was brilliant." Simple, smart, sparing the hype and just calling what he saw without trying to project his personality over teh game itself.

I'm finishing with this thread., post: 50422534, member: 72155"]I'm finishing with this thread. As i said in the director's thread, some might say good riddance and the overwhelming majority couldn't give a crap...but I've said so many times, i post on BF for my own enjoyment.

i wrote my wider thoughts about the media early but recent posts have become just a knee-jerking rant .... i need to learn to control myself....as shannon jmac noll would say, i gotta lift...

I think ive got one last thread in me as there's a ground hog day feel about the forum at the moment. Hopefully bucks will get the sack soon and we can start work on the new coach...
I urge you to reconsider...makes great reading

I urge you to reconsider...makes great reading

thanks for your support but i'm just not motivated with this one anymore. Its run its course. i'm thinking of starting a last general one about the club. There are things about club culture and long term issues that I want to say things about. I just don't see it expressed on this site, although the other magpie site appears to have a few people who want to look at things from a broader perspective. Having said that, I still get motivated from a few things in the media but those are few and far between now.

Basil is painful. In the first half he was positively salivating at the prospect of Buckley's sacking. This combined with his borderline obsession with counting T Mitchell's meaningless possessions made the game the most inane commentary I can remember. How I pine for a sensible TV commentator who lets the pictures speak for themselves and provides embellishment when required. Just makes me think how good Doug Heywood was " Kink missed what he should have taken......Daicos....he's a genius. That was brilliant." Simple, smart, sparing the hype and just calling what he saw without trying to project his personality over teh game itself.

well you caught it in a nutshell... basil reminds me of a snake oil salesman. He takes whatever is the popular position. He has this veneer and I suspect that there's not much depth there. I mentioned bruce because I must admit that we had bruce overload for a number of years and his gushing was sickening at times... but he knows his sport and he has this obvious obsession with it. I don't feel anything of that with basil. He's like a Hollywood reporter trying to get the story that's going to make him famous. As I said, he's always in the perth social pages in the newspaper....a man about town. I must admit that I do have some admiration that he can pull a media career off because he is a very very very unattractive man... I wont say ugly because that would be unkind.... maybe a face only a mother would love... maybe the north end of a south bound camel...

in some ways he is inspirational to all the unattractive people out there who have an obsession with fame. Of course i'm one of those...

It's a hard ask. Find someone with a smooth voice for commentating but also ensure they're eye-candy for the quarter breaks and pre/post-match bullshit. Don't hate Basil for his paper-thin veneer. Hate the networks for not trying to broaden their scope in recruiting a better class of commentator.

Markfs it'll be a shame if this thread goes dry. Perhaps we can ask a few ghost writers in to help with the burden? Either way this thread has been appreciated a lot.

It's a hard ask. Find someone with a smooth voice for commentating but also ensure they're eye-candy for the quarter breaks and pre/post-match bullshit. Don't hate Basil for his paper-thin veneer. Hate the networks for not trying to broaden their scope in recruiting a better class of commentator.

Markfs it'll be a shame if this thread goes dry. Perhaps we can ask a few ghost writers in to help with the burden? Either way this thread has been appreciated a lot.

well thanks for the appreciation. I could get one of my many split personalities in as part-time contributors but they're unreliable.

i'm not sure if basil meets the criteria of a better class but he is younger and i do admit that he brings a younger generational attitude to the call. He has that hipster "i'm here while it's cool" type of attitude. I think if they offered him the Idol gig, he would snap it up..

Life can be funny sometimes. You're say you're bored with something and then there is another day.

I saw an article on the collingwood site where an american journalist has written a book which puts "the machine" in the best 10 teams in history. The article started gushing, roping in michael roberts to tell us just how much americans know about team sports....

I went looking for the guy who wrote this crap and his name is sam walker and he is an EX sports journalist who now writes for the wall street journal. Already I'm getting a smug look on my face. Another piece of fluff from the pies media department.

But as i read more, i realised that the magpie media people totally missed the point of the book and i will print a few things here because I think sam might be onto something.

Here is a couple of snippets from his twitter account. Not all of it is quotes from the book and not all of it is pure genius...but it gets you thinking.

1. DAdQjLLWsAEM9Lt.jpg

2. DAWwtCPXsAAxiKb.jpg

3. DAL7RyYUIAAW-yb.jpg

DAbzKa7XoAQyJTp.jpg:large

once again, I have to make a final comment in this thread. Actually its more related to adam treloar than the media.

I have wondered for some time why Collingwood was constantly sticking treloar in front of the media. The reason that I say that is because he had a dose of immaturity and enthusiasm which was likeable but it used to make me feel embarrassed for him sometimes.

and it wasn't as if he was being used sparingly. He seemed to dominate any segment that the Collingwood people put together.

I had a feeling that the club was trying to fast-pace him into being an enthusiastic level-headed young man and after looking at his most recent interview about the win over Hawthorn, I must say that i'm happy with the result. There's an early interview of him talking about sharing a house with GWS's Kelly. They haven't completely knocked his boyish enthusiasm out of him but he is saying all the right things and presenting himself as someone who can be involved in leadership in the future.

so its ticks to the media dept and personal development people at the club. GWS didn't really do much to improve his communication skills over a number of years with them. In contrast, the Pies have done a pretty good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back