Markfs Media Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

it's probably part of his contract tbh

That might be the case. But he might have been given a payment for media work but it didnt mean that they would put his head in front of the camera at every available opportunity.

Whether the media work was part of an overall plan to make a man of him, or whether they had no plan at all, it does appear that he has grown up a bit...

let me give you an example and i know its a long bow...but i used to work around university kids and you could always pick the ones that had worked in a responsible job because their communication skills were more developed. They could engage in discussions better. They had more confidence to put their point of view. It wasnt that kids straight from school were zombies, it was that most of the time, there was a noticeable difference.....but not always..

i'm a great believer in doing some research about a person before you put any weight on what they say. It's kind of like the equivalent to listening to a friend's advice. If you know that they are a dickhead, then a shrug of the shoulders or a short smile is all that is required and the advice can be constrained to the annals of history.

The same is true for people in the media. If you see Mark Robinson having a dig at a Collingwood player for coming out about his depression, one immediately thinks of Robinson's longterm ongoing battle with the amber fluid and other brain-destroying alcoholic potions, to understand that Mark is not the person to be casting the first stone. In fact, it would be great to see Mark express his ongoing battles to the world at large. We're here to help you Mark when you find the strength...

A different example of what i'm talking about is demonstrated in Ronny Lerner's article about Buckley
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...o-extra-pressure-for-him-20170601-gwi6bu.html

Lerner, as we all remember, is the person responsible for that well-known phrase "slow lerner"....

He does the usual thing of re-hashing all the same stuff that we've read before, probably 50 times or more times. The pressure on buckley, the admission by buckley about this being his last year if he fails ..yada yada/

Then he inserts his own handiwork. His first original thought and it reads...

"After a very poor start to the year, Collingwood could find themselves outside the top eight at the end of the round because of percentage alone if they beat the Dockers in what would be a stunning turnaround in fortune."

But hang on, we did win and we're one game out of the top eight. The five teams above us either didn't play or lost. There was no possible way that a team with 5 wins could be out of the top eight on percentage alone.

So I suppose that we can conclude that Ronny Lerner will always be a slow lerner and not worth the time that I've spent reading his article and the time spent talking about it.

But its one of life's little journeys to be filed away. Some people have the runs on the board when it comes to football analysis and they're worth the time of day. Others can be given a nod of the head and a feint smile as you might give to your granny who is suffering from dementia but who still loves to tell you that Mick Malthouse should still be the coach of Collingwood.

I dont know if I've posted about this before on this thread but I feel a strong need to do it now.

I watched quite a few games over the weekend. They were worth it - except for our efforts. Anyway, I've been thinking about how media people question the players during and after games ...

And what they do is to basically ask a question by answering it...and then getting a response from the player or coach..

They might say "How do you think Sydney improved during that quarter. The contest ball numbers are up and it seems that your midfield is linking up better than the opposition"..... The response is "Yes, we concentrated on contested ball" etc etc etc...

I was pondering why media people use this approach....

1. The media people want to show the world just how much they know about football. Mr. Murdoch might notice this and give them better jobs on footy panels.

2. Players and coaches rarely say anything more interesting than a grunt and it's up to the interviewer to inform the viewer about what is happening.

3. Interviewer is trying to get a gig at a club as a highly paid adviser. Thank Dermie and GWS.

4. Interviewer has been told to fill 2 minutes and thinks that the most interesting thing to the viewer would be him talking

In other news Tony Jones thinks that Serena would beat Krygios ... evidently chompers is under a lot of pressure at the moment. We need to make allowances for his behaviour..

I dont know if I've posted about this before on this thread but I feel a strong need to do it now.

I watched quite a few games over the weekend. They were worth it - except for our efforts. Anyway, I've been thinking about how media people question the players during and after games ...

And what they do is to basically ask a question by answering it...and then getting a response from the player or coach..

They might say "How do you think Sydney improved during that quarter. The contest ball numbers are up and it seems that your midfield is linking up better than the opposition"..... The response is "Yes, we concentrated on contested ball" etc etc etc...

I was pondering why media people use this approach....

1. The media people want to show the world just how much they know about football. Mr. Murdoch might notice this and give them better jobs on footy panels.

2. Players and coaches rarely say anything more interesting than a grunt and it's up to the interviewer to inform the viewer about what is happening.

3. Interviewer is trying to get a gig at a club as a highly paid adviser. Thank Dermie and GWS.

4. Interviewer has been told to fill 2 minutes and thinks that the most interesting thing to the viewer would be him talking

These interviews during games, or more precisely at the end of quarters, are relatively new, and I'm surprised the clubs agree to them. I'm not referring to the interviews with the victors at the end of the game, often the player who was BOG.

Is this another 'innovation' we have copied from other sports? I wouldn't know, as the only sport I follow is footy, and more specifically Collingwood playing footy.

Anyway, AFL HQ must have ordained that the coach or an assistant (or sometimes a senior player) should talk to Richo or whoever, who approaches them clutching the mike, while the interviewee appears desperate to get away. Sometimes they even break into a run mid-interview, such is their haste to put an end to it.

But on your issue of the interviewer saying too much, and answering their own questions, I have always assumed its because of the interviewee's reluctance to speak. If its a player, he's exhausted; if its a coach of the side who is behind, he is in a foul mood; and if its a coach of the side who is in front, he is still at pains to point out what they 'need to improve' in order to win. Its all very predictable.

I'm still waiting for the day when someone refuses to speak. Or has that already happened?

Last edited:
But on your issue of the interviewer saying too much, and answering their own questions, I have always assumed its because of the interviewee's reluctance to speak. If its a player, he's exhausted; if its a coach of the side who is behind, he is in a fowl mood; and if its a coach of the side who is in front, he is still at pains to point out what they 'need to improve' in order to win. Its all very predictable.

I'm still waiting for the day when someone refuses to speak. Or has that already happened?
I'm waiting for the day that a coach goes full Barassi at the interviewer. I'd pay to watch that.

These interviews during games, or more precisely at the end of quarters, are relatively new, and I'm surprised the clubs agree to them. I'm not referring to the interviews with the victors at the end of the game, often the player who was BOG.

Is this another 'innovation' we have copied from other sports? I wouldn't know, as the only sport I follow is footy, and more specifically Collingwood playing footy.

Anyway, AFL HQ must have ordained that the coach or an assistant (or sometimes a senior player) should talk to Richo or whoever, who approaches them clutching the mike, while the interviewee appears desperate to get away. Sometimes they even break into a run mid-interview, such is their haste to put an end to it.

But on your issue of the interviewer saying too much, and answering their own questions, I have always assumed its because of the interviewee's reluctance to speak. If its a player, he's exhausted; if its a coach of the side who is behind, he is in a fowl mood; and if its a coach of the side who is in front, he is still at pains to point out what they 'need to improve' in order to win. Its all very predictable.

Or to modify what countrypie said, I wonder what Malthouse would have said during a game.

It's in the contract to speak to channel 7 so they speak.... and say very little.

The onfield examples are the worst and probably understandable for all the reasons that you gave. The players don't or cant say much. However, the line of questioning that I was referring to is happening on radio a lot. It happens a lot in situations where there is an inexperienced interviewer.....recent ex players or community radio.

I think that there is also an element that society now - and millennials whatever - hate silence. They hate awkwardness in a conversation...so a question followed by a grunt is socially unacceptable so they have to smooth the waters by giving the answer ....so the player or coach can just basically say the same thing.

Howeverrrrrrrr.... I find it alllll tooo annoying.....mucho verbos and nada being said.... nada...

for god's sake, I work in a workplace where there are hundreds of meeting with billions of words with nothing getting done. Cant I watch a sporting experience where someone actually says something. I think that's why Buckley is so good on the tv. He can actually analysis what is happening. He's actually incisive. There are so many media people who just say the bleeding obvious.... the bleeding obvious... e.g. 20 down on contested possessions ....media question "do you have to improve your contested ball?"... I mean trained monkeys could do a better job... my apologies to the monkeys for comparing them to these media people...

well that's enough from me for the moment.

I just did a bit of reading of "I'm doing some part-time salary top-up gigs for Collingwood media" Glenn McFarlane's series of articles about one-game wonders at the Pies.

I'm must be from another era, but then again, I suppose it's better that the Pies fans remembers a player at all, as opposed to forgetting him entirely. What I'm talking about is the idea of calling a series of players one game wonders. You're own player, mind you. I mean, that was something we used to yell at the opposition supporters about their players...."Only one game, turkey, he wont be back!"

Now we're paying a guy to line up a list of players who he is calling one game wonders. And I have to acknowledge that, even my old mate, Ian McMullin who has been masquerading as a Collingwood board member for the last 20 years, played more than one good game.

Some of the blokes are probably dead-set one game wonders. I remember Ian McOrist as a kid. His tiny underdeveloped body scooting down the half forward flank and kicking one of his six goals at the very start of his very brief VFL career. And then there's Andrew Tranquilli who almost single-handedly nailed the Coasters team which comprised of 10 robots and the rest battery-fed drug-enhanced superhumans. It was stuff of legends...

But Jack Anthony a one hit? Geez... He might have had an overinflated ego but he played a few more good game than just one....after all he kicked 50 goals in a season.

And yes, we all remember Mark McGough's most famous game, but one game wonder? The guy was captain of East Freo and quite successful over here for a number of years. Yeh he was slow but one game wonder?..

The whole thing just reeks of a lack of respect. There are some conversations that you can have between Pie fans in pubs about certain players but I would never broadcast them to the great unwashed who barrack for other teams.

It makes me wonder why he even thought of doing this series. It was probably the only way he could find a reason to write about Ian McMullin. Maybe someone in the media department was looking for a payrise or maybe Glenn wants the board to continue with the pocket money next year....I dunno... to me it just doesn't seem right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-...his-2008-punch-could-have-killed-brent-staker

Damien Barrett ...that old weasel... sniffing around for stories to prop up that tired old bag of bones that calls itself the Footy Show..... or maybe that's sam newman...whatever..

I looked up Wiki and there's a few more where that one came from Damo!

3 Controversies
What a gutless piece of crap Hall is. He regrets it? Well not half as much as having to see him on TV on the brief occasions that I watch it. Worse still, it seems that he has got himself some form of media strategy and he has re-engineered himself into a cuddly bald cretin. Well la-de-da....

I can hope that Bazza has one last king hit punch in him and he directs it at Damo...

fair dinkum.... I saw this waster Sam McClure working his mouth at half time on the Friday night footy show and I had to write something...

look at this link
http://radiotoday.com.au/sen-s-sam-mcclure-on-radio-scoops-and-sport/

A friggin whole article about this ...well he's a muppet. His mouth reminds me of one of the muppets, flapping around all of the place.

Nathan Buckley was asked about the media on the time he was on footy classified. He said that what he didn't like was when the media people became the story. Exactly Nathan, exactly! He was talking about the bald drunk but the reference equally applies to McClure.

I don't know who he slept with to get his job but he needs to remember that the footy is the star of the game, not his moon face...

ok I feel better. Well maybe not, now i'm watching Gil's brother do his thing with the kid at half time....ok channel seven, it was fun once or twice but the story has got real old.... real old.

well thank you for digging up some of my old material. I'm not sure why but maybe you'll point out the obvious....

just a note on the content. i got advised some time back that bigfooty had been hacked and someone had my password and they advised me to change it. I didnt of course because i thought the hackers might be able to add to my posts. The other note is some of the old posts were made when i was at my old job and i had way too much spare time on my hands. I glanced at the more recent posts and they have had too much thought go into them.

I just had an epiphany about why this old grave was dug up.... I think that I might have been shown my former self constructed cage and invited to re-enter.... to protect the masses..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back