Eureka Stadium (Mars Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

And I also think to myself, we have this nice boutique 36,000 seat stadium on the outskirts of western Melbourne, the heartland of the bulldogs, and yet the government spends money upgrading another stadium to AFL quality?
Yes but how many stadia are needed in Melbourne, versus helping bring the quality of regional centre ovals up to a level where some games can go further out? Or should Optus Oval, Princess Park, Moorabbin, etc also get brought up to AFL standard for each club?

Yes but how many stadia are needed in Melbourne, versus helping bring the quality of regional centre ovals up to a level where some games can go further out? Or should Optus Oval, Princess Park, Moorabbin, etc also get brought up to AFL standard for each club?
Geelong is not Melbourne. Western Bulldogs have support in Geelong. Just saying that after the government spends a lot of money on a stadium to go and build another in a similar scenario is not sensible.

Yeah exactly. The only way Eureka Stadium would ever gain enough funding to eventually get up to KP standard, would be if the Bulldogs decided to permanently move to Ballarat. Long term that could be a possibility. They would earn more from gate revenue etc. than they could in Melbourne (like Geelong do), but it would be a long way off. Western Melbourne, and Ballarat itself, would have to get a lot bigger to support the Bulldogs permanently moving.

They've renamed themselves in a bid to remove themselves from being associated with just Footsgray for a potential move in the future to somewhere. They've left that door open anyway. It makes sense, Melbourne proper is over saturated with AFL teams, and in a national comp, the lesser Melbourne teams with fewer supporters will always be at a disadvantage. So you never know.

Yeah exactly. The only way Eureka Stadium would ever gain enough funding to eventually get up to KP standard, would be if the Bulldogs decided to permanently move to Ballarat. Long term that could be a possibility. They would earn more from gate revenue etc. than they could in Melbourne (like Geelong do), but it would be a long way off. Western Melbourne, and Ballarat itself, would have to get a lot bigger to support the Bulldogs permanently moving.

They've renamed themselves in a bid to remove themselves from being associated with just Footsgray for a potential move in the future to somewhere. They've left that door open anyway. It makes sense, Melbourne proper is over saturated with AFL teams, and in a national comp, the lesser Melbourne teams with fewer supporters will always be at a disadvantage. So you never know.
Ballarat needs to be a bit closer to Melbourne to wait for the inevitable sprawl to make it essentially a suburb of Melbourne (ala Frankston or Werribee, or Sunbury in the north). In some ways it'd be great if it were Bacchus Marsh with the bigger population because in 20 years the Bulldogs could play half their home games in what's basically distant western Melbourne.

I feel long term they're aiming at 9 games in Melbourne and 2 in Ballarat year on year. Would eliminate the need to sell games interstate, as well as perhaps being enough of a commitment to 'colonise', if you will, the Western District of Victoria over time.

North Ballarat City v Melton yesterday morning as Melton took to the ground to get a feel for the conditions. A sunny Ballarat June day. The ground is now a little under two weeks from completion of the first stage. Works remaining include:
  • Finishing the coaches and media boxes
  • Final installation of seats around the media boxes
  • Asphalting works beneath and around the stands
  • Re-installation of fencing behind the goals
  • Signage
  • Removal of temporary fences around construction zones and relocation across the southern boundary of the oval
  • Relocation of construction materials and portable site offices
  • Repair of pathways damaged during construction works
  • Repair of spectator mounds damaged during construction works
  • Landscaping works along White Avenue and Creswick Road entrance.

19113573_1058793667585574_3777735539083312542_n.jpg
Looked and sounded like it was a great game as well. I was next door umpiring over at the Northern Oval number 2 which is just outside the carpark.
It's going to look awesome.

Northen Oval 2 is looking pretty good too these days. The NBCFNC have long term plans to build a dedicated pavilion and community centre to the eastern side of the oval as well as two additional netball courts. Although that plan may have gone by the wayside now that their former freehold land is all now owned by the council.
Trust me it's needed. The umpire's rooms we used were too small. So it would be great to see an upgrade soon.

Eureka Stadium now officially 'Mars Stadium':

Local Ballarat global confectionery giant 'Mars' has been announced as the new naming rights sponsor of Eureka Stadium in Ballarat. The newly-renovated venue, which will host its first AFL game in round 22, is now officially known as 'Mars Stadium'.

es1_zpszqzx1ycp.png

r0_0_4435_2952_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Mars Australia's Damian Ross, Western Region MP Jaala Pulford, Ballarat mayor Samantha McIntosh and Western Bulldogs chief Gary Kent celebrate.

Ballarat mayor Samantha McIntosh said it was wonderful to welcome Mars on board, less than 50 days out from the first AFL game for premiership points in town on August 19.

“It’s incredibly fitting for Mars to be involved in this significant project for our city,” Cr McIntosh said. “Ballarat has been home to Mars for almost 40 years and they are one of our city’s biggest employers.”

Mars Stadium adds to the company’s sporting complex portfolio in Ballarat, with the company also naming rights sponsor for nearby basketball stadium Mars Minerdome and Mars Cycling Australia Road National Championships.

“Mars is work, rest and play. It’s about participating and an active lifestyle,” Mr Ross said. “It’s not only good for football, it’s good for a whole other events.”
Love your work Roogal. Keep it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering there was previously a lot of carparking around the ground which is now gone what are they going to use for the games expecting bigger crowds?

Extra buses will connect with the train station for AFL games.
There is also lots of available parking within 1km of the ground that is not used.
As a local, it's a non-issue.

Extra buses will connect with the train station for AFL games.
There is also lots of available parking within 1km of the ground that is not used.
As a local, it's a non-issue.

How many extra trains are V/Line putting on? I dont think they have a heap spare to put on extra services like metro do. If thats the case a lot of people will have to drive and based on experieces of attending games at casey fields with less than 5k crowds its an absolute nightmare.

How many extra trains are V/Line putting on? I dont think they have a heap spare to put on extra services like metro do. If thats the case a lot of people will have to drive and based on experieces of attending games at casey fields with less than 5k crowds its an absolute nightmare.
V/Line have plenty of extra capacity on weekends, going on the train today you could see at least four trains stationed at Bacchus Marsh alone ready for the morning peak hour tomorrow. In any case V/Line would operate similarly to how they treat games in Geelong, maybe chuck on an extra two services each way.

Only two and a half extra trains. That's not heaps but doggies are also providing buses from Western Oval too. The issue will be there once the later stages are completed. For this stage it should be fine.

Casey parking .... ankle deep mud, yeah it's pretty bad down there. Almost lost a shoe one year.

Who gets the money for selling their name to Mars?

Sorry I don't know anything about Eureka stadium - Was Eureka a sponsor name or was it (as I have assumed) a nod to Ballarat's history ?

Who gets the money for selling their name to Mars?

Sorry I don't know anything about Eureka stadium - Was Eureka a sponsor name or was it (as I have assumed) a nod to Ballarat's history ?

Eureka was a nod to Ballarat's history.

I'd say the Ballarat council gets the money from the Mars sponsorship

Remove this Banner Ad

Back