Preview Marsh game 2 - Port v Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Once again i fear we are a key defender short.

Really depends. Last match we had Gardner on the bench and not many would've expected him to actually play. This time we could have either Young or Gardner play the full match as a key defender for all we know. I doubt it as that would be a lot of defenders rotating through the bench but it's possible.

Watching Trengove on the weekend I was astounded at how long it took him to get boot to ball as he invariably wheeled around onto his right with all the speed of a sleepy Koala. I suspect that he just doesn't fit into Beveridges plan of attacking from anywhere in the defencive half.

Ive never understood how most here had Weightman as a walk up start since his drafting. He may have a little more zip than others, however its not like we lack for solid small/medium forwards at the moment and nothing I saw over the weekend indicates he is ahead of the likes of Riley West, let alone an established best 22 player like McLean as next in line for one of those slots. He can learn his trade at Footscray for a little while. It'll do him no harm.
I think expectations for 1st rounders have soared through the roof after the early success of Richards, Naughton and Smith in the last few years. In reality, many 1st round picks don't even play in their first year, let alone debut Round 1. Hopefully this helps temper expectations - I've seen nothing of Weightman since I'm not Victorian and the club is apparently incapable of posting genuine preseason content, so I have relied on what I read in the media and on here. Needless to say, it's disappointing seeing that Weightman clearly isn't ready for debut, but at the same time I completely understand that. With the rise of Dale, introduction of Bruce and return of Wallis, we're not exactly desperate for instant impact up forward like we have been in 2017-2019

Bailey Williams is certainly being backed by the club. No excuses for him, this is his opportunity.
If he doesn't make it, at least we can't say he wasn't given ample opportunity. Many players wouldn't be given as many chances as Bailey has had - he's shown huge potential in glimpses; this season is the time for him to start stringing together some consistent performances

The puzzling ones for me are Trengove, Gowers and Weightman. Trengove and Gowers must be entirely out of favour and not even close to selection. Odd that Gardner is getting games, but Trengove isn't..

Weightman I'm guessing has just been a little overhyped this preseason by the media, because the way they have been talking, it seemed he'd at least get a run in the preseason comp. Can't be anywhere near debuting if he's not in the frame for these preseason games

not much to go on I know , but to my eye looked a fair way off it in the scratch match.

LeYoung is on the extended bench too. Can’t physically match Dixon, but he needs to keep learning fast how to overcome things like that

Watching Trengove on the weekend I was astounded at how long it took him to get boot to ball as he invariably wheeled around onto his right with all the speed of a sleepy Koala. I suspect that he just doesn't fit into Beveridges plan of attacking from anywhere in the defencive half.

Ive never understood how most here had Weightman as a walk up start since his drafting. He may have a little more zip than others, however its not like we lack for solid small/medium forwards at the moment and nothing I saw over the weekend indicates he is ahead of the likes of Riley West, let alone an established best 22 player like McLean as next in line for one of those slots. He can learn his trade at Footscray for a little while. It'll do him no harm.

I could never reason why we got Trengove and said so at time. Why would get him and pay him more than Roughy. It was like for like we eventually lost Roughy and he has proven to be a much better player anyway. I guess with list decisions you get some right and some wrong but this one always seemed odd to me.

I could never reason why we got Trengove and said so at time. Why would get him and pay him more than Roughy. It was like for like we eventually lost Roughy and he has proven to be a much better player anyway. I guess with list decisions you get some right and some wrong but this one always seemed odd to me.
I’m pretty surprised Sweet appears to have overtaken him in the ruck pecking order.

I’m pretty surprised Sweet appears to have overtaken him in the ruck pecking order.
I was too, but when you think about it Sweet was picked purely as a developing ruck and as potential backup for English. So you'd hope by now that Sweet was on the upward trend and should be just about ready to overtake Trengove. If not, his career is going nowhere.

In other words, it's reassuring that Power (or Austin) has probably got it right with the selection of Sweet.

Looking forward to Josh Bruce cutting loose and maybe a bit of big Tim English resting forward to stretch
their short defence. Wonder if the shops in Whyalla are stocked with 3-ply sheets of gold.

I think expectations for 1st rounders have soared through the roof after the early success of Richards, Naughton and Smith in the last few years. In reality, many 1st round picks don't even play in their first year, let alone debut Round 1. Hopefully this helps temper expectations - I've seen nothing of Weightman since I'm not Victorian and the club is apparently incapable of posting genuine preseason content, so I have relied on what I read in the media and on here. Needless to say, it's disappointing seeing that Weightman clearly isn't ready for debut, but at the same time I completely understand that. With the rise of Dale, introduction of Bruce and return of Wallis, we're not exactly desperate for instant impact up forward like we have been in 2017-2019
That's always been the case. They, particularly Bevo, won't give much away preseason, even to the supporters. Trouble is, info can't be confined to just our fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really depends. Last match we had Gardner on the bench and not many would've expected him to actually play. This time we could have either Young or Gardner play the full match as a key defender for all we know. I doubt it as that would be a lot of defenders rotating through the bench but it's possible.
Yeah i forgot about gardner. I am in the minority but i feel he may work out for us when given a chance in the backline.

We also have lachie young who can play tall.

I think when we say key defender we think of the big michael hurley types rather than the athletic types that we have

If he doesn't make it, at least we can't say he wasn't given ample opportunity. Many players wouldn't be given as many chances as Bailey has had - he's shown huge potential in glimpses; this season is the time for him to start stringing together some consistent performances
Bailey Williams reminds me a lot of Koby Stevens. Tries to do too much at times but looks so so close to breaking out as a player.

Yeah i forgot about gardner. I am in the minority but i feel he may work out for us when given a chance in the backline.

We also have lachie young who can play tall.

I think when we say key defender we think of the big michael hurley types rather than the athletic types that we have
Michael Hurley is the same size as Bontempelli. He's no gorilla.

Richards would be the only one from that group ready to go. Naughts probably close but they will play it conservative with him and if that there is any doubt be another week or two away

Michael Hurley is the same size as Bontempelli. He's no gorilla.
Michael Hurley: 193 cm, 91 kg.
Marcus Bontempelli: 193 cm, 96 kg.

Weights and measures from the poor mans prospectus and may not reflect reality.

Gorillas are 100 kg +, no Gorillas present in this zoo.

The Whyalla clock is ticking, could be an interesting hit out this one.

Excuse my interrupting

Join the club.

Interested in Jordan Sweet and how he's been going with you guys. He did some pre-season training with us 2(?)yrs ago and I thought we would have

rookied him. Fair lump of a lad hope he does alright with you guys. Jakko was a club favourite with us for a long time and many of us are pretty dirty on

how Hinkley treated him in his last yr with us.

Anyway all the best for the year. Btw a good doco on Footscray on telly last week :D

Excuse my interrupting

Join the club.

Interested in Jordan Sweet and how he's been going with you guys. He did some pre-season training with us 2(?)yrs ago and I thought we would have

rookied him. Fair lump of a lad hope he does alright with you guys. Jakko was a club favourite with us for a long time and many of us are pretty dirty on

how Hinkley treated him in his last yr with us.

Anyway all the best for the year. Btw a good doco on Footscray on telly last week :D

Sweet played against Norf & held his own against Goldstein, but he’s in the VFL this week so likely to be just a backup for English

Remove this Banner Ad

Back