Bomberboyokay

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
West Ham, New York Giants
Can someone explain why the AFL has bought this hole of a stadium and yet we still get ripped off?

19.50 today for two drinks and a ******* hot chips for ****s sake.

The food as a whole is rubbish.

Phone reception at the ground is a joke. Their wifi is problematic (at least for me).

They didn’t even have Carlton Draught on tap the other week. They were pouring cans into cups. What sort of BS is that?

About time the AFL put some money and effort into this **** ground and made food prices more in line with the MCGs.

It ******* sucks.
Are you a MCC/AFL member?

grimface_87

Premiership Player
May 27, 2008
Melbourne territory
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I bring in something almost always.

I also like to have hot chips when I’m at the footy and am questioning why prices are so different from the MCG. The AFL got the MCG to change and they don’t own the MCG. They own Marvel yet their food is much more pricier and is probably worse than the MCG’s.
Most likely they have an existing contract with the catering company and the prices are set even though they now own the venue

HAPPY BUDDHA

PREMIERS ‘92 ‘94 ‘06 ‘18 & more to come.
Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Newcastle
Can someone explain why the AFL has bought this hole of a stadium and yet we still get ripped off?

19.50 today for two drinks and a ******* hot chips for fu**s sake.

Phone reception at the ground is a joke. Their wifi is problematic (at least for me).

They didn’t even have Carlton Draught on tap the other week. They were pouring cans into cups. What sort of BS is that?

About time the AFL put some money and effort into this s**t ground and made food prices more in line with the MCGs.

It ******* sucks.
Fully shit from what you’re explaining in the OP. Been back since?

This was the fish burger offered up at Optus stadium for $12.50

28FA6483-4B9F-4936-BC81-6290BE899A18.jpeg

2 fish fingers, some butched lettuce and a squirt of mayo. $12.50.

Thanks for coming!!

Pakenhamsaint

Hall of Famer
Jan 5, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melb. Stars

19.50 today for two drinks and a ******* hot chips for fu**s sake.

About time the AFL put some money and effort into this s**t ground and made food prices more in line with the MCGs.

It ******* sucks.
The G is more expensive. A pint of beer is 10.80 at the G. 10 bucks at Marvel.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
The status of DS is being upgraded. A new AFL General Manager position, & new Business Unit, is being created (who will be responsible for DS development)- & this person will become part of the AFL Executive. This creation implies the AFL is expecting greatly increased revenues from DS.

If Tas. becomes the 19th team c. 2025, there will be 11 extra H & A games pa- & probably many more Thur. night games at DS, which will probably supplant Fri. night as the main AFL match marquee night. DS weekend day games will probably be greatly reduced, allowing the Tas. 19th team to have those weekend daytime slots for its home games.

See current Thread on the proposed Tasmanian 19th team, & implications for the fixture/more Thur. night games- in the Footy Industry Forum.

Last edited:

Underarm

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
If the Thursday night matches aren't blockbusters the crowds are going to be really poor. Thursday night at Docklands would be the worst timeslot by far.

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
When thursday night's become a regular 22 game fixture, they'll be played at docklands over the MCG to minimise empty seats. Be interesting to see if crowds go if Collingwood v Geelong is at the dome on a thursday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teen Wolf

Club Legend
Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rancho Carne Toros
Wait, why would a 19th team mean a large increase in Thursday night matches anywhere? There would still only be a maximum of 9 matches per round, the AFL would just schedule a 24th Round to get in the extra games as they did in 2011 and the early-90s when there was an odd-number of teams.

And regardless of timeslots, I'm pretty sure a Tasmanian team would be bad for Docklands. It would dilute the number of games between two Melbourne clubs there.

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Wait, why would a 19th team mean a large increase in Thursday night matches anywhere?
If a team has a Bye, then it's easier to play them on the Thursday night without running into 4/5 day breaks.

They wont schedule that match up.
will be lots of nm, st, wb home games v non vic sides
On a thursday night? No chance...docklands tenants fight it out for the coveted Sunday 4.40 slot, or that's what the AFL would like them to do.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Wait, why would a 19th team mean a large increase in Thursday night matches anywhere?
And regardless of timeslots, I'm pretty sure a Tasmanian team would be bad for Docklands. It would dilute the number of games between two Melbourne clubs there.
See my posts # 1126 & 1187 to fully answer your comments, in the BF Link below- New Tasmanian team

The Tas. team is very likely to play home games on the weekends, during the day. The AFL will not want concurrent AFL games, therefore many of these DS day slots will move to Thur. nights, which is very high rating prime time- & VERY valuable Rights $ for the AFL.

Tim Watson is predicting there will be many more Thur. night games post 2020, as is Ch.7 AFL reporter M. Stevens (who also says Thur. night games will become the marquee timeslot of the week, replacing Fri. night marquee)

Gary Lyon said Ch. 9 would be very interested in being the broadcaster for Thur. night games. This will encourage further competition between bidders in the next Rights deal, which will make the AFL salivate.

Last edited:

JohnZ

Premiership Player
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary Lyon said Ch. 9 would be very interested in being the broadcaster for Thur. night games
I do believe that if the AFL wants to maximise it's broadcast $$$ it's going to need to start packaging timeslots instead of selling them in one go. Ch10 can't afford to produce 4 AFL games a weekend, but it could probably afford to let Foxtel (or themselves if it would save them any money) to produce a thursday night game.

If I was the AFL, I would be using AFL media to produce all games. Control the commentary, the graphics, the analysis. Sell timeslots to interested parties and control the streaming rights (Netflix? Youtube?). The bold make money.

Top Bottom