Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
FACT - Newstead pay thier players (which would be well below most clubs as they don't believe in overpaying players) on time, and on a weekly basis

FACT - Newstead played very poorly against Harcourt, and being that they are not a bad side you can't afford to do so.

What happened to Talbot on the weekend, are they in a bit of trouble with a tough last couple of games?? Maldon too seem to have done their dash after loosing and being 2 games outside the 5 would be no chance for finals after bursting out of the blocks early in the season...

Very interesting to see the fight for third spot really hot up, and it probably won't be decided untill the final round of the season - Brook can't loose to any of Maldon, Rovers or Avoca to have any chance and Newstead have to beat Royal Park, Talbot and the in-form Dunolly to keep it...

Big last three rounds!!!!!!

Talbot are very disappointed with the weekends results and it makes it very very tough for us to play finals now, it was definately a game we expected to win. We were missing a couple of key players, didnt play great and we let rovers run and carry the football too often.We were sloppy with the ball in hands and too often let Hedger drop back in the hole and kicked it to him.

I know this next part i write is going to seem like an excuse but i would have to say the standard of umpiring was appauling at times and Gus who did the goals for Rovers needs to have a talking too, the game was in the balance with 3 points in it and Rovers clearly kicked a behind , too which Gus signalled a goal and gave them breathing space, he did not even make an effort to move from the centre of the goals , he clearly just stood there and moved his head slightly...this also occured in the first quarter when the ball missed the goals by two feet and was awarded a goal.. the umpires did not over rule on both occassions.

As for the field umpiring, they can complain as much as they want about us and our supports but when they say you went the knuckle after the game and there was not one fight or indiscretion all game it is clearly a biased view of the occassion. Umpires in our league get too emotional involved in the game and need to be able to take a step back and not see it is a personal attack. PLayers get frustrated when umpires over umpire the game, why can they just not let us play footy.

The umpires in question said before the game, feel free to ask a question as to why the free kick was paid, but when you did (without swearing by the way) , bang a 50!!.......People can say if ur first to the footy ofcourse you will get the free kicks, which is true, but this was just so much more than that, Rovers more than doubled our free kicks which is always going to help in a game of football, if the umpires had legitimate excuses or reasoning for the free kicks fine, but they cannot be aloud to just spin off rubbish and be pleased with the result they have caused.

Something that i have noticed over the years is that some umpires seem to hold a vendetta against a club, and it would appear that these two have a strong grudge against our football club. In recent weeks or over the last few years we have experienced several new umpires from the Ballarat league and i can say that we have never had any issues with these umpires or new incoming umpires from another league, it makes a man wonder...We have new players to the club this year, who simply say " what did you do to these blokes previously to piss them off, this is ridiculous"....enough said.

The sooner the umpires are held accountable for their actions the better i say. It says alot about there credibility when they wont even come into the clubrooms after the game including Gus.

I know ppl will disagree with this comment and i expect a bit of backlash, but enough is enough...This post is in no way having a crack at the Rovers Football Netball club, just the men that officated the game.

Sherman I have to agree with you regarding the goal umpires, some of them are terrible, barely moving from the centre of the goal line let alone getting under the goal post to see whether the ball goes through the goals, over the post or through for a point. As for the central umpires, there are good and bad. At our game on the weekend one of the umpires was so friendly with our opposition that I was beginning to wonder if he was trying to influence the result, or just sucking up to the players. The card system also frustrates me.....umpires panic whenever their is a minor scuffle, so much so that they clearly do not understand the game and/or the concept of team and defending your mates. Cards should be issued for fights, not a little bit of push and shove. Have you got the leaking sewerage fixed at your ground yet? Was a disgrace when we played there!

Sherman I have to agree with you regarding the goal umpires, some of them are terrible, barely moving from the centre of the goal line let alone getting under the goal post to see whether the ball goes through the goals, over the post or through for a point. As for the central umpires, there are good and bad. At our game on the weekend one of the umpires was so friendly with our opposition that I was beginning to wonder if he was trying to influence the result, or just sucking up to the players. The card system also frustrates me.....umpires panic whenever their is a minor scuffle, so much so that they clearly do not understand the game and/or the concept of team and defending your mates. Cards should be issued for fights, not a little bit of push and shove. Have you got the leaking sewerage fixed at your ground yet? Was a disgrace when we played there!

Yes the sewerage has been fixed it was only an issue on that day, not much you can really do when the sewerage pipe busts though, the club did get sludgebusters out there as soon as we could and fix the issue up.

The disgrace would have been u blokes forfeiting due to it in all honesty, the fact we had to change benches was a little extreme just so you guys wouldnt forfeit. I understand the smell wasnt plesent originally but it cleared off pretty quick and you couldnt smell it out there playing footy.

As for the goals umpires yes some are worse than overs but in regards to the central umpires my opinion is the same, there are some great umpires we have had and then some shockers that just seem to base a club on prior experiences and umpire them accordingly rather than there performance on the actual day.

Any umpire that goes into the game with a pre-conceived ideal is letting his emotions get in the way and his judgement clouded. This particular umpire mentioned to us before the game ive had you before this year and it was pretty bad basically ...How would the umpires like it if we said, you though we were bad, you were terrible and are most weeks!

The umpire has to judge a team on there performance in that game, he should not be judging a team on previous performances, if umpires were judged on previous performances most would be dropped and we would only have a handful of decent perfomers...

I know we need umpires and its not an easy job but blowing a whistle to prove a point to a player and show him you have the power does not make you a more rounded person in life.

Yes the sewerage has been fixed it was only an issue on that day, not much you can really do when the sewerage pipe busts though, the club did get sludgebusters out there as soon as we could and fix the issue up.

The disgrace would have been u blokes forfeiting due to it in all honesty, the fact we had to change benches was a little extreme just so you guys wouldnt forfeit. I understand the smell wasnt plesent originally but it cleared off pretty quick and you couldnt smell it out there playing footy.

As for the goals umpires yes some are worse than overs but in regards to the central umpires my opinion is the same, there are some great umpires we have had and then some shockers that just seem to base a club on prior experiences and umpire them accordingly rather than there performance on the actual day.

Any umpire that goes into the game with a pre-conceived ideal is letting his emotions get in the way and his judgement clouded. This particular umpire mentioned to us before the game ive had you before this year and it was pretty bad basically ...How would the umpires like it if we said, you though we were bad, you were terrible and are most weeks!

The umpire has to judge a team on there performance in that game, he should not be judging a team on previous performances, if umpires were judged on previous performances most would be dropped and we would only have a handful of decent perfomers...

I know we need umpires and its not an easy job but blowing a whistle to prove a point to a player and show him you have the power does not make you a more rounded person in life.
Ithink u have some valid points their Sherman but until there are sufficient numbers in the umpire ranks in country footy and better control in allocation of umpire ( ie hubs controlling umpire bodies) we need to ensure we all work together to improve situation. I think every club would have umpires that they believe are biased against them and it has been a constant problem for years. I would hope that the umpires are big enough to be able to discuss some of these criticisms and work through them.
Goal umpiring will always be a problem were club volunteers are used and we have to rely on honesty.

Ithink u have some valid points their Sherman but until there are sufficient numbers in the umpire ranks in country footy and better control in allocation of umpire ( ie hubs controlling umpire bodies) we need to ensure we all work together to improve situation. I think every club would have umpires that they believe are biased against them and it has been a constant problem for years. I would hope that the umpires are big enough to be able to discuss some of these criticisms and work through them.
Goal umpiring will always be a problem were club volunteers are used and we have to rely on honesty.

Agreed, sufficient numbers would make it alot easier as competition for spots would surely improve the standard of the umpires, but at the moment certain individuals are taking the liberty of ruining a good game of football just because they can and have no one to answer too.

There is no doubt some umpires need to hear some home truths, but whether they take it on board or not is another thing,we have all seen how certain umpires lack the ability to handle criticism and questioning at some time.

Hopefully the new umpires coach can restore a level of professionalism into these blokes.

Agreed, sufficient numbers would make it alot easier as competition for spots would surely improve the standard of the umpires, but at the moment certain individuals are taking the liberty of ruining a good game of football just because they can and have no one to answer too.

There is no doubt some umpires need to hear some home truths, but whether they take it on board or not is another thing,we have all seen how certain umpires lack the ability to handle criticism and questioning at some time.

Hopefully the new umpires coach can restore a level of professionalism into these blokes.

I wonder how many umpires have played a bit of senior football before taking up umpiring? More retired players need to umpire....but why would you? I know I wouldn't.

I wonder how many umpires have played a bit of senior football before taking up umpiring? More retired players need to umpire....but why would you? I know I wouldn't.

Thats a fair question, im not sure how many umpires in this league have played footy before. I do agree though that the best umpires are the ones who have played footy and experienced it from a players perspective.

As players we dont go out there to upset an umpire, we go out there to play football and be the better team on the day, if umpires just stuck to umpiring it would be a win win for everyone.

I can't believe my eyes Talbot complaining about a goal umpire cheating. For years Mr R G stuck it to opposition clubs and rumour has it that he was once heard to say that he was worth several goals to Talbot. No matter what you say as long as clubs supply the goal umpires there will always be cause for scepticism

I can't believe my eyes Talbot complaining about a goal umpire cheating. For years Mr R G stuck it to opposition clubs and rumour has it that he was once heard to say that he was worth several goals to Talbot. No matter what you say as long as clubs supply the goal umpires there will always be cause for scepticism

Haha so true that

How much do field umpires get paid???

Well having not been around in Reiny's goal umpiring days i cannot comment on this, but yes i realise the goal umpiring scenario is one that will always provide issues, however it is not my main point, dodgy goals you can put up with every now and then but not 4 quarters of bad umpiring.

Well having not been around in Reiny's goal umpiring days i cannot comment on this, but yes i realise the goal umpiring scenario is one that will always provide issues, however it is not my main point, dodgy goals you can put up with every now and then but not 4 quarters of bad umpiring.

Agree. A whistle shouldn't be used to attempt to prove your manhood.
Tips for this weekend?

trentham are a young and improving side if u look at the seniors list they are playin young local kids and are rebuilding they will be playin finals in the next couple years

Trentham will never play finals unless they learn to keep there youth, Last year they had players like tom walker, rory healy and harley forgo who were all massive players in there under 17s team and were regularly getting in the best in the seniors. Now how could trentham let these types of players go onto other clubs?? Healy kicked 50 goals and was in the top 10 in the league b and f, Walker kicked 50 goals and Forgo polled well in the b and f and finished just below healy. For trentham to have any success they MUST keep these players at the club!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trentham will never play finals unless they learn to keep there youth, Last year they had players like tom walker, rory healy and harley forgo who were all massive players in there under 17s team and were regularly getting in the best in the seniors. Now how could trentham let these types of players go onto other clubs?? Healy kicked 50 goals and was in the top 10 in the league b and f, Walker kicked 50 goals and Forgo polled well in the b and f and finished just below healy. For trentham to have any success they MUST keep these players at the club!!
Why would young kids stay there and be abused by the Coach/Assist Coach at the huddles. The 3/4 time address last week in the seniors was both disgusting and embarrassing to the club and as a parent i know that i certainly wouldnt have my kids playing there.

Why would young kids stay there and be abused by the Coach/Assist Coach at the huddles. The 3/4 time address last week in the seniors was both disgusting and embarrassing to the club and as a parent i know that i certainly wouldnt have my kids playing there.
Totally agree, but it is not just the young kids who get disheartened at abuse and tirades more senior players are liable to take offence at constant criticism too. It doesn't just happen at Trentham there are coaches all over the place that think the only way to get a message across is by yelling
It is degrading to the players and to the club as these outbursts are clearly heard by spectators who must wonder about the clubs standards.
On a positive Harley Forgo has not left the club and was in the best players last week. Also there are several up and coming youngsters that will stand by the club and take them into the future

Totally agree, but it is not just the young kids who get disheartened at abuse and tirades more senior players are liable to take offence at constant criticism too. It doesn't just happen at Trentham there are coaches all over the place that think the only way to get a message across is by yelling
It is degrading to the players and to the club as these outbursts are clearly heard by spectators who must wonder about the clubs standards.
On a positive Harley Forgo has not left the club and was in the best players last week. Also there are several up and coming youngsters that will stand by the club and take them into the future

The thing with the Trentham Footy Club, is the coaching staff and all others involved, can see potential in the side and are expecting to match it week in week out with the stronger clubs in the leaugue. Obviously from a team that hasnt won a game this year, they may be expecting too much on the young side, but they definately have shown some fight and have shown glimpses of really good, hard free flowing footy.
The boys can only learn from this and improve. I've been told theres a great feeling down there and socially, the club is the best its been in 10 years.
It must have been disapointing for the team to lose the young players they did. But they definately gained some young talent. For starters there captain, Jacob Pearce, is a first year player with the club and was given the role of senior captain. As a bloke thats just turned 20 he has got a bright future ahead of him. A few other blokes to mention are Jamie Cutler, Travis Myles (Son of Whale), Paul Smith, Brian Cole and of course Harley Forgo. If they keep these young blokes here the side will definately be on the rise in years to come. Good luck boys!!

Agree. A whistle shouldn't be used to attempt to prove your manhood.
Tips for this weekend?

Rovers Vs Dunolly
Dunolly even with a few senior injuries to karpany (hamstring), joe thompson (hamstring), daniel mcnamee (eye) who prob wont play, rovers with a full list could prob push them but dunolly by 60 points.

Maldon Vs Carisbrook
Game of the round for sure. must win game for both clubs.
went out and watched maldon play dunolly and i dont think maldon have a full team to match a true final team. Brook by 24 points.

also talking younger kids who are some of the standout juniors playing seniors this year, who came up from under 17's?

Rovers Vs Dunolly
Dunolly even with a few senior injuries to karpany (hamstring), joe thompson (hamstring), daniel mcnamee (eye) who prob wont play, rovers with a full list could prob push them but dunolly by 60 points.

Maldon Vs Carisbrook
went out and watched maldon play dunolly and i dont think maldon have a full team to match a true final team. Brook by 24 points.

also talking younger kids who are some of the standout juniors playing seniors this year, who came up from under 17's?

Matthew Culvenor has been a standout for Newstead in both Under 17's and Seniors this season... He adds an extra dynamic to the side not only with his goals, but also breaking the lines with his pace... should be very important on Princess Park in a few weeks!!!

Maldon v Carisbrook is a massive match in the context of the finals... Maldon if they are not out of contention now, will definately be if they can't win this one - On the other hand, if Brook loose this one they would find it pretty tough to knock Newstead out of third place...

Look forward to hearing from "Norm" on the radio for the result from this one about 6pm Saturday night

Matthew Culvenor has been a standout for Newstead in both Under 17's and Seniors this season... He adds an extra dynamic to the side not only with his goals, but also breaking the lines with his pace... should be very important on Princess Park in a few weeks!!!

Maldon v Carisbrook is a massive match in the context of the finals... Maldon if they are not out of contention now, will definately be if they can't win this one - On the other hand, if Brook loose this one they would find it pretty tough to knock Newstead out of third place...

Look forward to hearing from "Norm" on the radio for the result from this one about 6pm Saturday night

I had a look at who has been in the best from the under 17's last year playing senior footy. These have all in been in the best several times but also they have played consistanly well near every game.
Newstead: Matt Culvenor, Tom Reece
Maldon: Hayden Kelly, Vaughan Williams
Rovers: Jayden Hooper, Brady Neill
Talbot:?
Trentham:?
Bushy: Andrew Peck,
Creek:?
Harcourt:?
Dunolly: Kyle Lierich, Liam Mottram.
Avoca: Nathan Coghlan, Mitch Etherton
Carisbrook: Jackson Bowen,

I had a look at who has been in the best from the under 17's last year playing senior footy. These have all in been in the best several times but also they have played consistanly well near every game.
Newstead: Matt Culvenor, Tom Reece
Maldon: Hayden Kelly, Vaughan Williams
Rovers: Jayden Hooper, Brady Neill
Talbot:?
Trentham:?
Bushy: Andrew Peck,
Creek:?
Harcourt:?
Dunolly: Kyle Lierich, Liam Mottram.
Avoca: Nathan Coghlan, Mitch Etherton
Carisbrook: Jackson Bowen,

Trentham: Harley Forgo, Luke Whitehouse, Travis Myles, Jamie Cutler, Rhys Hourigan

Rovers Vs Dunolly

Maldon Vs Carisbrook

To kick 4 goals and get in the best isn't a bad effort for a bloke who "apparently" wasn't going to play

Should be a great match next weekend between Avoca and Dunolly
What will be the key match up????

trenthams a great club to be around and alot of riendly ppl and it must be hard for the coaches comin in from very succesful clubs and they have alot of fight from a yound club they'll fight and i bet if u ask there oppenents it wasnt an easy win even kno wt the scoreboard says and jacob pierce is a great young player and good leader with support from the vice captains and they do have some great youngster its just a matter of makin them stick around

Isnt Trenthams Senior coach a school teacher? Surely he would know how to speak to kids, and you cant blame him for losing the plot as the word competitive hasnt being accustomed to trenthams play this season, i think you would struggle to find any coach who would get better results out of the players this season.
In saying that they need to get all grades of both football and netball playing, cut back on player payents as there would only be 5 worth paying on the field this season, Pearce, Dalgliesh, Wright, Engeneller And Anderson.
They need to look at a quality playing coach for next season to lure recruits perhaps a damien slater former colbo champ living in gisborne should have everything thrown at him by the club to try get him to coach in 2010

To kick 4 goals and get in the best isn't a bad effort for a bloke who "apparently" wasn't going to play

Should be a great match next weekend between Avoca and Dunolly
What will be the key match up????

Look, someone will have to stop Liam Mottram. Has been on a rampage lately. He's bloody quick. Lakey would have to take him, personally.

On a serious note, the Pilgram V Ronke battle will be an interesting view point.

The game will be won or lost on defensive re-bounds. Both midfield and forward line are evenly matched.

Dunolly by 6points

Personally i think Liam Mottram is very overrated. Coming from a soccer background he tends to play his footy in a very soft manner. This is just my opinion having seen him play 2 or 3 times this year. I think he leaves a lot to be desired and needs to work on his tackling and hardness desperately so it doesnt let him or the team down come finals time.

Status
Not open for further replies.