Maryborough Castlemaine District FL (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heap of praise for the umpiring efforts of Mick Brown and Tim Roth from the R.D.F.L out at the Trenm/ Rovers match on the weekend. Very rare to hear both supporters and players rave about what a top job they done for the day. Cheers to the R.D.F.L umpires assoc for sending out 2 of their best .

Great to hear. Any chance of sending them further up the road to the Bendigo League? Never before have their stocks been so bereft of talent.

Great to hear. Any chance of sending them further up the road to the Bendigo League? Never before have their stocks been so bereft of talent.

Not sure what the go is there. i think they have an agreement with the Ballarat league to send a couple a week over there,may have the same deal with mcdfl when they're short of umps

Couple of interesting results on the weekend - Was it arctic like conditions out at Trentham or did the Saints just have a ripping day and take the Rovers boys to task? Also Harcourt again have taken some points off a top 3 contender, and just have a knack of doing so - There will be 5 sides pretty glad that they will miss the finals as on their day they are a tough side to beat.

That top 5 still not settled and we may have to wait untill the final round for the sides to find their place but its going to be a great lead in to and then finals series.

Who are everyones favourites for the following:

Top 5 (in order) -
Premiers -
Runners Up -
League B&F -

Its going to be interesting!

Mine are,

Top 5 - Maldon, Avoca, Newstead, Brook, Rovers
Premiers - Newstead
Runners UP - Maldon
League B&F - Harris (Rovers) or Peake (Creek)

Happy to hear other opinions as it might liven this site up a bit!

Who are everyones favourites for the following:

Top 5 (in order) - Maldon, Avoca, Newstead, Rovers, Brook
Premiers - Newstead Runners Up - Rovers
League B&F - Harris (Rovers) Peake

Creek could still sneak into the 5 if they can roll Brook in the 2nd last game.

Top 5 (in order) - Maldon, Newstead, Avoca, Carisbrook, Rovers (Creek just missing out)
Premiers - Maldon
Runners Up - Newstead
League B&F - Peake

The VCFL puts $500,000 into umpire development each, they then tell us that umpire numbers and the standard of umpiring is the best its been.

Maybe they should get out of their Melbourne offices and see first hand the decline in umpiring standard Victorian wide.

You are spot on Banforlife. They wouldn't have a clue. The money is pumped into umpiring - as it probably has to be - and much of it goes to people who are taking it up for the wrong reasons. If they're umpiring because of the money, as many are, then we don't want them. But the VCFL wouldn't know about that, and wouldn't care.

An article in the Bendigo Advertiser a few weeks ago boasted about how healthy the stocks were in the local umpiring fraternity, quoting the spokesperson as saying the numbers are so much better than they've ever been. I go to games and although there are some decent umpires around, there are too many kids out in the middle doing seniors who need more development, and mostly little boys running the boundary who can't do the job properly. On top of that there are incompetent adults who will never be any good and would be moved on if things were as healthy as they claim to be.

wot's creek's run home johnny :confused:

haven't they got any chance of making the mcdfl top 5

4th 46pts 142% Newstead - Harcourt, Trentham, Royal Park

5th 46pts 136% Rovers - Bye, Talbot, Dunolly

6th 44pts 94% Creek - Dunolly, Carisbrook, Bye

I think Rovers are the most comfortable here out of these 3, but they have been slightly inconsistant against the lower sides. You'd think Newstead would beat all 3 sides, but Harcourt have been proving hard to beat in the last half of the year. As for Creek, they really have to beat Carisbrook to be any chance. I give Newstead 12pts, Rovers 12pts and Creek 8pts from the last 3 games to keep the ladder the same. Unless Newstead lose to Harcourt and Creek beat Carisbrook, I can't see any changes happening

and gonna be a good run to finals for the 4 teams going for 4th and 5th in the reserves too with those teams all playing each other in the last round. Good luck to Bushy, Newstead, Harcourt and Trentham

I think Rovers are the most comfortable here out of these 3, but they have been slightly inconsistant against the lower sides. You'd think Newstead would beat all 3 sides, but Harcourt have been proving hard to beat in the last half of the year. As for Creek, they really have to beat Carisbrook to be any chance. I give Newstead 12pts, Rovers 12pts and Creek 8pts from the last 3 games to keep the ladder the same. Unless Newstead lose to Harcourt and Creek beat Carisbrook, I can't see any changes happening

I'd be including Carisbrook in that equation Johnny, not a chance to miss out really but are no certainties to finish top 3...

3rd 50pts 145% - Bye, Creek, Maldon

Loose either of those last 2 and Newstead and Rovers win their last 3 and they can slip to 5th!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DISTRICT FOOTBALL LEAGUE

RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > SENIORS

Round 17 – 7/08/2010
Newstead 17.18 (120) d Harcourt 16.5 (101)
Avoca 24.15 (159) d Trentham 8.10 (58)
Maldon 20.14 (134) d Talbot 6.3 (39)
C/ Creek 18.18 (126) d Dunolly 11.9 (75)

RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > RESERVES

Newstead 8.6 (54) d Harcourt 7.8 (50)
Avoca 17.19 (121) d Trentham 3.4 (22)
Maldon 20.16 (136) d Talbot 0.1 (1)
C/ Creek 20.10 (130) d Dunolly 10.3 (63)

RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > U/17

Trentham 8.10 (58) d Avoca 6.5 (41)
Newstead 15.12 (102) d Harcourt 1.2 (8)

"Last chance saloon" time for Campbells Creek this weekend against Brook;

Any Creekers out there think that they can continue on their recent run of good form and knock the Redbacks off this weekend?

Maybe "maineman" can shed some light on the inside mail down there?

I can't comment on the run to the finals but I do know that the Newstead boys had better bring their masks and flippers to Trentham on Saturday. It has been many years since I have seen the Trentham ground so wet and muddy. For most of this week the ground has been under water and after tonights training it will be a real slop heap.
Lets hope that Saturday is not too cold otherwise we might need the electric blankets on the bench just too keep players warm while on the interchange. At least it will be warm in the clubrooms where all the old timers will be keeping the fire company

"Last chance saloon" time for Campbells Creek this weekend against Brook;

Any Creekers out there think that they can continue on their recent run of good form and knock the Redbacks off this weekend?

Maybe "maineman" can shed some light on the inside mail down there?

Creek to beat Brook and make finals after Maldon beat brook in last game

Ladder at end of season
Maldon
Avoca
Newstead
Rovers
Creek

Finals predictions
Avoca Vs Newstead Newstead
Rovers Vs Creek Rovers

Week 2
Maldon Vs Newstead Maldon
Rovers Vs Avoca Rovers

Prelim
Newstead Vs Rovers Newstead

G/Final
Maldon Vs Newstead close one just Newstead

You are spot on Banforlife. They wouldn't have a clue. The money is pumped into umpiring - as it probably has to be - and much of it goes to people who are taking it up for the wrong reasons. If they're umpiring because of the money, as many are, then we don't want them. But the VCFL wouldn't know about that, and wouldn't care.

An article in the Bendigo Advertiser a few weeks ago boasted about how healthy the stocks were in the local umpiring fraternity, quoting the spokesperson as saying the numbers are so much better than they've ever been. I go to games and although there are some decent umpires around, there are too many kids out in the middle doing seniors who need more development, and mostly little boys running the boundary who can't do the job properly. On top of that there are incompetent adults who will never be any good and would be moved on if things were as healthy as they claim to be.

So you will be umpiring next year will you Ben? or are you just going to sit on the sidelines and take pot shots at the guys who are doing it now.

The kids umpiring are the only reason that games can be played.

Maybe if more guys helped out when they retired intead of bagging the umps we would have more of them and the standard would improve.
Most umps love the game and the amount of abuse they get from "experts" over the fence is why we cant get guys to do it.
Funny that most players and spectators seem to know more than the ump during the game but havent put their hand up to umpire.

I understand your sentiments havashot, but if every dig at the umpires is going to be met with the tired old line of "well why don't you do it?", then all that does is avoid the issue we have.

Yes, we need more ex-players to take up umpiring, but why don't they? Perhaps the umpiring fraternity is a little bit resistant to those who have played all their lives coming in and pretending they know a bit about the game?

I am saying there are quite obviously people who are umpiring because it provides them with a source of income they may not get elsewhere, which is the wrong reason. Not all of them do it because they love the game, despite what you would like to think.

Along the same lines, if copping a bit of flack from the sidelines is enough to put someone off umpiring, then they are not serious about making a contribution to the game.

The VCFL don't really do much except pump dollars into promotion. Each organisation is still left to work it out for themselves, and go about it they way they always have. It's the emphasis on fitness, technique and formality that puts most people off. And when it comes down to it, those who love the game don't care about those things - they would rather just have someone with a feel for the game who knows what's going on.

MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DISTRICT FOOTBALL LEAGUE
RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > SENIORS
Round 18 – 14/08/2010
Carisbrook 13.6 (84) d C/ Creek 3.7 (25)
Maldon 20.13 (133) d Dunolly 7.3 (45)
Newstead 7.4 (46) d Trentham 5.10 (40)
Avoca 16.14 (110) d Royal Park 2.1 (13)
M/ Rovers 12.12 (84) d Talbot 3.4 (22)

RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > RESERVES
Carisbrook 14.11 (95) d C/ Creek 1.4 (10)
Maldon 24.17 (161) d Dunolly 1.1 (7)
Trentham 7.4 (46) d Newstead 5.12 (42)
Royal Park 8.3 (51) d Avoca 6.5 (41)
Talbot 11.11 (77) d M/ Rovers 2.4 (16)

RESULTS FOR MARYBOROUGH CASTLEMAINE DFL > U/17
M/ Rovers 18.12 (120) d Talbot 3.5 (23)
Newstead 7.7 (49) d Trentham 6.6 (42)
C/ Creek 4.15 (39) d Carisbrook 3.4 (22)

Massive result for the bushy 2's with yesterdays reserves win securing them a finals spot. Finally there may just be a little light at the end of that tunnel

Huge finish to the season coming up this weekend with the top 5 not to be decided (position wise) untill the end of round -

Maldon - win and finish top, loose and can slip to second
Avoca - Can finish top if Maldon loose
Carisbrook - Beat Maldon and have guaranteed double chance, loose and could still stay third on percentage, but loose big and either of Newstead or Rovers win big could finish as low as 5th
Rovers - Can finish either 3rd, 4th, or fifth depending on other results
Newstead - Same as Rovers, so would need a 15 plus goal win to have any chance of getting third spot on percentage

Going to be a very open race to the flag, with any of these teams capable!

On another note, the conditions at Trentham were almost as disgracefull as the umpiring on the weekend! Very ordinary display from the boys in Orange!

Massive result for the bushy 2's with yesterdays reserves win securing them a finals spot. Finally there may just be a little light at the end of that tunnel
All good for your 2's to make up the numbers in the finals but from an outside perspective , it seems you have senior blokes running round in the ressies. With respect , why recruit big Trevor Ronki and let him play reserves when the ones could do with their best side available each week? Seems a bit odd to an outside observer. Would it not be better for the club to see the seniors moving up the ladder rather than the reserves? Anyway , it's your club , I guess youse can do what you like , just thought I'd throw the question out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.