News Matt Clarke heads West. Replaced by Chris Toce

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps y could argue that as we had needs mid season that he binned in favour of smokies which remain to be seen still
Msd you have the luxury of seeing most post ND.Even years down the track ala Pickett.
Next best in the ND is still reliant on Toce's judgement.

Toce is an out of shape saints reject

This is like when the best option was the reserves coach of Collingwood ( who finished last that year ) was our best option to be the senior coach of Richmond , the late Spud Frawley

Hopefully they pick someone else.
I don't disagree with you often Blaisee but on this occasion I have to.

His record when stacked up against Clarkes is significantly better.

Wanganeen-Milera, Phillipou, Owens, Windhager (both academy but got through) and Wilson at 18 this year. All those 5 players are more talented than any young mid we have on our list apart from McAuliffe who is yet to debut so hard to judge.

come in peace. ✌️

Massive Richmond supporter presence in my family. So have keen interest in how you go (even if those flags caused pain and suffering for me)

Toce did well with us. But you need to overlay that with the fact the bar was very very low. (Blew a #1 & #3 pick prior to him).

For all the credit he gets. He really only has 1 pick that he can hang his hat on. Wanganeen-Milera. Which looks inspired.

Owens and Windhager were always coming if they made it past 20. That wasn’t a choice and also that’s more development not drafting.

Phillipou was pick 10 and the top 10 were a clear cut above the rest. Toce did however have an interest in trading up for Tsatas.

Wilson slid & Collard could be seen as a slight reach in the most recent draft. Shoenmaker was all SOS

Caminiti was also a SOS pick.

The rest: Hotton Keeler Heath Hastie Van Es McLennan Garcia (may debut this week) haven’t played an AFL game

+ Allison, Who looks like one waiting to be delisted and been nowhere near it

Prior to being our national recruiting manager. He was our SA scout and we took Wilkie and Sharman - apply as much or as little credit to this as you deem fit.

He was also replaced with Dalrymple - a clear upgrade.
Suggest head back to your shitty board and dribble over all the kids he's picked that between SOS and Lyon with want out within 2 years.

To suggest Dalrymple is an upgrade is a joke also. The only thing you are upgrading there is the size of the ego. In a room with Lyon and SOS that should end well.............not.

Wanganeen-Milera, Phillipou, Owens, Windhager (both academy but got through) and Wilson at 18 this year. All those 5 players are more talented than any young mid we have on our list apart from McAuliffe who is yet to debut so hard to judge.
yes they are more tallented but where are the saints making their picks compaired to us?

now he is on board I will fall in line to support of course

Hope and pray I am wrong

Its crazy to think WC looked at his track record and went yep this is the guy to lead us out of the mire. He's a greg miller clone always trying to find the next Carey instead of just drafting obviously talented kids with little risk.
WC probably looked at all the WA players on our list, and thought this is the guy to get them to come home.

Baker, Broad, Miller, Shai ....

Hardly a fair fight, pick positions are a way apart and I dont think you can include academy kids, thats an unfair leg up we have never had.

Great for stability to be able to appoint an experienced recruiter so soon that has had experience at all levels of recruiting across the three football states. Blair Hartley's team is critical to putting together the right list for the current rules and new game style.

Thought two years ago we had set ourselves up well to bring in a long list of free agents ... Taranto, Himmelberg, then McCluggage but you need to be able to sell hope of a premiership ... so interested to see how Toce helps us pivot to our current reality

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great for stability to be able to appoint an experienced recruiter so soon that has had experience at all levels of recruiting across the three football states. Blair Hartley's team is critical to putting together the right list for the current rules and new game style.

Thought two years ago we had set ourselves up well to bring in a long list of free agents ... Taranto, Himmelberg, then McCluggage but you need to be able to sell hope of a premiership ... so interested to see how Toce helps us pivot to our current reality
We have a very good draft hand so his ability will be crucial to our short to med term prospects

Hardly a fair fight, pick positions are a way apart and I dont think you can include academy kids, thats an unfair leg up we have never had.

I agree with the Academy kids argument, however, Clarke has had plenty of early picks he has butchered. RCD, Dow, CCJ and Higgins were all his early picks. Given his likely involvement in the Taranto and Hopper trade fiasco, Brown over Van Rooyen, a love for soft flankers like Banks and giving away the Max Holmes pick I've seen enough to know he ain't the person to oversee our rebuild.

Clarke campaigned for the AFL to give us our current academy zone off the back of Simpkin and Ratugolea. What a short sighted decision that was. Nothing but donuts since.

People judging this already is laughable, just because he was at a smaller unsucessful club like St Kilda, we won't know if this has been a good decision until at least 3-4 years down the track we are going to be down the bottom getting early picks for a least the next couple of years.

So time will tell.

People judging this already is laughable, just because he was at a smaller unsucessful club like St Kilda, we won't know if this has been a good decision until at least 3-4 years down the track we are going to be down the bottom getting early picks for a least the next couple of years.

So time will tell.
What we do know is Clarke didn’t cover himself in glory recent times so we can be comfortable that a fresh set of eyes is a good thing , he does have credentials you know

Will be coming in hot, with one of our biggest draft haul of picks in ages. Bloody hope he can work sonme magic with them all
we will still make the finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back