News Matt Clarke heads West. Replaced by Chris Toce

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed, great news. Drafts very modern styled footballers. Fast, quick, good skills.

Happy with this , Clarkey was stuck in this vortex where he felt compelled to pic the kid that the rest of the football world shunned , coz he thought he knew better , it was quickly catching up with him and I’m thankful that with a fistful of currency we can give a new bloke a go

It’s not like he’s the only one who selects the players
Just means he is the one guiding the ship and making the final calls

Overall his philosophy when at St Kilda looks positive

Same with Mathew Clarke leaving, how much would Mathew take with him the RFC team already knows from previous interactions?

Solid appointment I think

Ross Lyon has his ways, so getting rejected there is not the worst, the Saints replacement over Toce based on the readings is highly credentialed but Lyon still has not won a premiership as coach yet.

I do not think getting Toce will hurt us and hopefully improves us. Sounds like our team has been long enough in the game to know what will work and what will not apart from a few tweaks

Toce has done well at St Kilda from a limited sample size.

The real test will be whether he can find diamonds in the rough late in the draft. That's where the recruiters earn their money imo. So far he's got Caminiti, Keeler, Garcia and Shoenmaker all looking promising from late picks, but it's too early to make a call on any of them.

Toce record is aided by getting Owen’s and Windhager as part of their academy. Milera was a good pick, but Wilson and Phillipou were no brainer sliders. The profile of player he drafts does suit how we want to play though, aerobic athletes, quick, ball use and competitive
I'm happy with no brainer sliders. Better than reaching for Conca, Ellis, Lennnon, CCJ, Dow etc where we "knew better" than everyone else.
These days clubs should not F**k up 1st rounders with the amount of information, research and $$ spent in recruitment.
Yet we have.
Just give me the next best player who is available and I'd be happy with Wilson or Phillipou.
And the academy picks were in the 30's & 40's from memory so no one else bid on them. They were a bonus

Same with Mathew Clarke leaving, how much would Mathew take with him the RFC team already knows from previous interactions?

Ross Lyon has his ways, so getting rejected there is not the worst, the Saints replacement over Toce based on the readings is highly credentialed but Lyon still has not won a premiership as coach yet.

I do not think getting Toce will hurt us and hopefully improves us. Sounds like our team has been long enough in the game to know what will work and what will not apart from a few tweaks
Good coz what he takes with him will send wc into a spiralling pit of guano

Good coz what he takes with him will send wc into a spiralling pit of guano
Its crazy to think WC looked at his track record and went yep this is the guy to lead us out of the mire. He's a greg miller clone always trying to find the next Carey instead of just drafting obviously talented kids with little risk.

Agree
He’s not going to come in day one and just throw away any long term plans

It will be similar to Yze a matter of having look and assessing what he likes and what he doesn’t and making small shifts
With the club entering a different phase it’s probably a good thing we have a fresh set of eyes overseeing how we do our recruitment but we also have the benefit of the team remaining the same so we don’t lose any of the ip either

Confirmed, great news. Drafts very modern styled footballers. Fast, quick, good skills.

one of the worst appointments ive ever seen

gifted a spot because st 26 wooden spoonda has won 2 games

come in peace. ✌️

Massive Richmond supporter presence in my family. So have keen interest in how you go (even if those flags caused pain and suffering for me)

Toce did well with us. But you need to overlay that with the fact the bar was very very low. (Blew a #1 & #3 pick prior to him).

For all the credit he gets. He really only has 1 pick that he can hang his hat on. Wanganeen-Milera. Which looks inspired.

Owens and Windhager were always coming if they made it past 20. That wasn’t a choice and also that’s more development not drafting.

Phillipou was pick 10 and the top 10 were a clear cut above the rest. Toce did however have an interest in trading up for Tsatas.

Wilson slid & Collard could be seen as a slight reach in the most recent draft. Shoenmaker was all SOS

Caminiti was also a SOS pick.

The rest: Hotton Keeler Heath Hastie Van Es McLennan Garcia (may debut this week) haven’t played an AFL game

+ Allison, Who looks like one waiting to be delisted and been nowhere near it

Prior to being our national recruiting manager. He was our SA scout and we took Wilkie and Sharman - apply as much or as little credit to this as you deem fit.

He was also replaced with Dalrymple - a clear upgrade.

Its crazy to think WC looked at his track record and went yep this is the guy to lead us out of the mire. He's a greg miller clone always trying to find the next Carey instead of just drafting obviously talented kids with little risk.
Devils advocate here.Swans looked at Toce but went with the Giants guy.
Now Sydney rep as being the best in this field then one could say we missed out on the best available and got 2nds at best.

come in peace. ✌️

Massive Richmond supporter presence in my family. So have keen interest in how you go (even if those flags caused pain and suffering for me)

Toce did well with us. But you need to overlay that with the fact the bar was very very low. (Blew a #1 & #3 pick prior to him).

For all the credit he gets. He really only has 1 pick that he can hang his hat on. Wanganeen-Milera. Which looks inspired.

Owens and Windhager were always coming if they made it past 20. That wasn’t a choice and also that’s more development not drafting.

Phillipou was pick 10 and the top 10 were a clear cut above the rest. Toce did however have an interest in trading up for Tsatas.

Wilson slid & Collard could be seen as a slight reach in the most recent draft. Shoenmaker was all SOS

Caminiti was also a SOS pick.

The rest: Hotton Keeler Heath Hastie Van Es McLennan Garcia (may debut this week) haven’t played an AFL game

+ Allison, Who looks like one waiting to be delisted and been nowhere near it

Prior to being our national recruiting manager. He was our SA scout and we took Wilkie and Sharman - apply as much or as little credit to this as you deem fit.

He was also replaced with Dalrymple - a clear upgrade.
Thanks for the insight.
Hopefully we haven't landed the next DoDo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now Sydney rep as being the best in this field then one could say we missed out on the best available and got 2nds at best.
sydney have a cheat academy thats why he went there, easy job

Toce doesn't need to be genius. Just needs to pick the obvious players at the pick. Our picks are going to be very early over the next few years. Hell, we're in a fight for #1 this year. So much so that the player we should be selecting should be obvious to not only Toce but the whole footy world.

Clarke refused to pick the next highest rated kids at our picks. I remember watching drafts over the years and thinking "I can't believe this kid is available at our pick" many times and then he picks a no name player on no ones radar. He thought he knew better than everyone else. Then the kids picked directly after turn out much better as predicted.

Clarke's post draft interview every year was something along the lines of "he wasn't high on a lot of peoples radar but we've been watching him closely and rate him highly". Rinse, repeat.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight.
Hopefully we haven't landed the next DoDo.
A lot of saints fans were upset he was let go. I can’t comment on comparison to Clarke for you.

But he does tend to pick best available.

Now, whether you agree with his draft ratings - that’s different story.

He got canned in the media for overlooking local boy Sinn for NWM. He is definitely having the last laugh now

He ll be working with Hartley so won’t have wannabes in his ear hole that have never built a premiership dynasty , barely got their LEGO license , big difference

sydney have a cheat academy thats why he went there, easy job
How hard is it at the plastics.
Multi 1st rounders each year cause vic clubs desperate bring home homesick kids.

A lot of saints fans were upset he was let go. I can’t comment on comparison to Clarke for you.

But he does tend to pick best available.

Now, whether you agree with his draft ratings - that’s different story.

He got canned in the media for overlooking local boy Sinn for NWM. He is definitely having the last laugh now
Clarke went best available.
Melts will continue.

How hard is it at the plastics.
Multi 1st rounders each year cause vic clubs desperate bring home homesick kids.
Exactly like someone who worked at bhp claiming on resume they reported record profits during their tenure
I works for a northern club with academy and access to top 10 rated prospects for garbage pics in return , hey I’m a recruiting genius

He ll be working with Hartley so won’t have wannabes in his ear hole that have never built a premiership dynasty , barely got their LEGO license , big difference
Bit of a difference between a list manager and a recruiter who's primary job is annalising young talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back