Traded Matthew Leuenberger (2006-2015)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview vs Gold Coast Suns

How big is the loss of Leuenberger? In the round 21 match last year, the big ruckman was a whisker behind Black in the battle for best on ground. Ben Hudson is a workhorse and Billy Longer a great raw talent, but neither can match Leuenberger's work around the ground.

leuenberger127.jpg

Video: Brett Burton

What will Leuenberger's rehab involve?

Well, it's non weight bearing for a start. So it's really just about rest and recovery for probably the first week and then we'll be able to get him upper body conditioning mainly, because he'll be in a brace, so he doesn't put any extra pressure on that area of his injury. From there we'll start to progress him through swimming and boxing and bike and eventually get him back running again.

leuenberger128.jpg

Billy Longer

"It is a huge disappointment for him and us. He's been one of my mentors since I have been here so it is upsetting to see him go down the way he did," Longer said on Tuesday."Leuey has been an amazing teammate.
"He's helped me a lot in my growth as a footballer.
"We spend a lot of time together outside of football.
"As sad as it is for Leuey I want to make the most of this opportunity - these next few weeks I will try to get the most out of it as I can."
"Speaking to him today he said it was going to happen at some stage - it's been giving him some trouble for a while," Longer said.
"It was a case of holding your breath and waiting for it to happen - sadly it did.
"The strength and conditioning staff managed it fairly well but there are some things that are just going to happen."
"Leuey will still be there giving us pointers and helping us however he can from the sidelines," he said.

leuenberger110.jpg

Patrick Keane on Twitter

Brisbane Lion have placed Matthew Leuenberger on the long-term injury list, with no replacement upgraded yet at this stage.

Someone refresh my memory on how long that means we are ruling him out for?

Pretty sure it's 8 weeks as well. Considering the type of injury, 8 weeks isn't a far stretch, and takes us to the bye, so all things considered, probably not a bad move. You wouldn't imagine we would look at bothing in doing this unless we were going to upgrade someone though.

Seemed to be playing fine the first 2 rounds so obviously the injury was manageable. Shame he is gone for 6 weeks but now we get to see more of Longer.

Now on the LTI list, & Billy Longer is in print as saying that Bergs reckoned it was"" ïnevitable" So it obviously was NOT manageable.

Methinx,purely from my uninformed perspective, our medical/fitness staff have blown it, again. If he had preseason issues he should have been cottonwooled till 100% Not brought ion to the season with an ïnevitable" problem.

Discussion thread: Leuenberger's Achilles Injury: How does this reflect on the medical department?

Has the new CBA been published yet? From the previous CBA:

12. LONG TERM INJURY LIST
12.1 Each AFL Club may apply to the AFL General Manager – Football Operations to
transfer a Player suffering a long term injury from its Primary List to its Long Term
Injury List. A long term injury means an injury or illness suffered by a Player
which, in the opinion of the AFL Medical Officer, after consultation with the AFL
Club Medical Officer, will prevent or is likely to prevent a Player, having due
regard to his health and safety, from participating in a Match for a period of not less
than eight weeks from the date the injury or illness is diagnosed.

Video: Matt Hass

Leuey's tracking along nicely. He's out of the boot, he's started his strength work on his achilles, he's following his injury timeline perfectly and should be back in the ten weeks estimated.

7067230077_dc0fe304c7.jpg

Leuenberger to ramp up rehab
5:01 PM Tue 22 May, 2012

“Leuey’s injury is obviously very disappointing for him, however his attitude to his rehabilitation has been fantastic,” Burton said.

“We won't be taking any risks with his rehab progressions, given the severity of the injury, the position he plays and the tasks involved with that (i.e. Jumping) and the load a player of his size (204cm) puts through his Achilles."

"At this stage we won't be putting an exact return to play date as it is more of a progression-based rehabilitation than a time-based one. So for now he will be listed as 'indefinite' and when he is back running again we will have a clearer idea of when he is likely to be available to play."

7248365736_1f29ebeed5.jpg

Has anyone heard anything on Leuy's injury?

Original recovery time was 6 - 8 weeks, which would indicate that he would play in the reserves next week. However, Grim's article notes 10 weeks as the estimated time frame for recovery.

Looking forward to the big man's return as he really adds another dynamic to our midfield that no one else on the list can provide

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leuenberger still listed as indefinite.

I think it's getting more and more likely we won't see him again this season.
We've had players go from "indefinite" one week to available the next. I don't put too much stock in the list.

We've had players go from "indefinite" one week to available the next. I don't put too much stock in the list.

In this case it probably means they don't know when he can run on it again, let alone train freely. If it takes him a month of training to be able to play again, then a week or two through the reserves, that takes us just about to August, even if that starts tomorrow. Unless we have some freak turnaround in form it wouldn't be worth bringing him back for four or five games at the end of the season.

I did see 1 week and was surprised at that. How is he going at training? Round 14 against Melbourne at home would be fantastic, I thought he was more likely to be so late in the season they might just not risk it and get him ready for next year, 8-9 games with Leuy back and firing, yes please.

Wouldn't put too much stock in the Herald Sun article given injury lists from teams only come out on Wednesdays from memory. Would be good to see him back soon but I'm happy to wait a extra few weeks to make sure he's right.

Brett Burton - Recovery Report
3 Jul 2012

Leuey's going really well. We were out on the bike with him this morning, so he's been able to do some good conditioning. His running progressions are going along really well.

We expect him to be able to join in with the main group warm-up tomorrow for our main session, which will be really good.

So he's tracking along really well for around 18 or 19.

Matthew Leuenberger Sets New Target for Comeback
July 05, 2012 12:00AM
Greg Davis

Leuenberger was put on the club's long-term injury list with the estimate for his time on the sidelines marked as "indefinite" and growing fears he might not play again in 2012.

But the WA product has started running and been placed on a modified training program with the goal of being fully fit by Round 20.

He completed a majority of yesterday's training session at the Gabba after doing a full skills session on Monday.

"I pulled up really well and I felt good running so that's a good sign," Leuenberger said.
"I'd like to think towards the end of the month from now I'd be right to play footy but I can't afford to have any setbacks. I've been lucky that I haven't had any at this stage.

"My memory of playing in recent times has been more that of losing. We haven't won too many so it's been great that the boys have won three of their last four ... it is something I'd love to be a part of," he said.
There's a few mixed reports at present. Burton says Rd 18 or 19, while Leuey says he could play by the end of this month, but that he expects to be fully fit by Rd 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back