Matthew Wade - how long?

Remove this Banner Ad

not a popular opinion but who is a great batsmen out of all the international wicketkeeprs. qdk of course, maybe sarfaraz. bairstow struggled at first. buttler has struggled. saha from india, bj watling not the greatest as well. maybe our expectations are too high after gilchrist. i would persist with wade, then select whiteman over nevill. i remember watching this innings thinking gee whiz he is dangerous and i still have hope for him.

not a popular opinion but who is a great batsmen out of all the international wicketkeeprs. qdk of course, maybe sarfaraz. bairstow struggled at first. buttler has struggled. saha from india, bj watling not the greatest as well. maybe our expectations are too high after gilchrist. i would persist with wade, then select whiteman over nevill. i remember watching this innings thinking gee whiz he is dangerous and i still have hope for him.
The main query isn't his batting though, it's his keeping. I think most people would acknowledge he can bat, though his form hasn't been the best.

Whatever happened to Sam Whiteman being in the conversation as next test keeper?
A fine future prospect but right now you'd need rocks in your head to want him in the Test team, he is averaging around 25 in the Shield which makes Wade and Nevill look like Gilchrist and Boucher by comparison.

Whatever happened to Sam Whiteman being in the conversation as next test keeper?

He is from WA so probably severely overrated, may end up playing test cricket for a minnow somewhere like the last overrated keeper from WA!

Although if he ever did get a test it might be time to drop the Australian name and just call themselves a World XI! :D

A fine future prospect but right now you'd need rocks in your head to want him in the Test team, he is averaging around 25 in the Shield which makes Wade and Nevill look like Gilchrist and Boucher by comparison.

Yes, never pick a wicketkeeper on their ability to keep wicket.

"Right now", as in this season, Wade is averaging 20 in FC cricket. Nevill 37. Whiteman, as you say, 25.
Hartley, 51.

The worst keeper (by far the most important consideration) has the worst average, and the best keeper has the best average. From what I've seen I think Whiteman is probably better suited to keeping in Indian conditions than Hartley so i would probably pick him.

But, how Hartley isn't even in the conversation when he is the best all-round gloveman (admittedly of a poor set of choices) is amazing. Age doesn't matter for Test selection, form and ability in the primary skill do. Sure, he will probably drop away some time very soon, so what. Tests are about the now, each Test is the most important match. Its not like building to a WC in the short forms, or a premiership window in footy.

Age doesn't matter for Test selection, form and ability in the primary skill do.
Of course age matters, the selectors have said so on numerous occasions. What you're saying is that you wish it didn't matter.

As for why he isn't in the conversation, there is not a ton of point handing a veteran player a debut when Wade and Nevill are Test-experienced and the selectors consider their glovework adequate. Hartley may be averaging more presently but you won't find many people arguing he is actually a better batsman.

Of course age matters, the selectors have said so on numerous occasions. What you're saying is that you wish it didn't matter.

As for why he isn't in the conversation, there is not a ton of point handing a veteran player a debut when Wade and Nevill are Test-experienced and the selectors consider their glovework adequate. Hartley may be averaging more presently but you won't find many people arguing he is actually a better batsman.
Well, yes, what I mean is IMO age shouldn't matter. Also, IMO, batting is very much secondary to keeping, and only should come into play the keeping abilities are similar. Neither Hartley or Whiteman are keeping gods but they are so many levels ahead of Wade its hardly even a valid comparison. Our stocks in that department are probably at an all time low, and I remember WB Phillips and Greg Dyer.

Wade is the better batsman when all are in form, but that not is not the case now - nor is there any sign it will be before the India tour. Its clear that the selectors have decided to go with the worst keeping option available, because he is potentially the best batsman even though on exposed recent form he is the worst.

We've got 3 options for keeper.

1. Stick with Wade. Can't keep for s**t and not in great form with the bat
2. Pick A young wicketkeeper on potential
3. Pick Chris Hartley as a stop gap for a year or 2. Probably the best pure keeper we've got at the moment but only solid with the bat. Values his wicket.

I'm not putting Peter Handscomb down as an option. He's shown too much with the bat to ask him to keep now. Risk too much IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wade has failed in all facets except for the "bants". Personally think we shouldn't carry him to India but I can also see them not wanting to upset the team dynamic after the positive run.

Nevill, Whiteman or Hartley for me. Don't mind the Hartley stop gap idea until a youngster develops. Wade's keeping could cost us big in India.

Wade has failed in all facets except for the "bants". Personally think we shouldn't carry him to India but I can also see them not wanting to upset the team dynamic after the positive run.

Nevill, Whiteman or Hartley for me. Don't mind the Hartley stop gap idea until a youngster develops. Wade's keeping could cost us big in India.
Wade needs to be in India so young Harper can get some more shield games under his belt, short term pain for long term gain

Wade needs to be in India so young Harper can get some more shield games under his belt, short term pain for long term gain
That, sir, is utter tripe and you know it. If Harper has that potential the Vic selectors should just not pick Wade to keep. Of course, its difficult with the captain - but on current form he could get dropped from the Vic Shield side entirely without it being any loss. He's not making runs, and is a s**t keeper. Giving up the gloves might help him focus on the one thing he can do when in form, which is bat.

It has to be Whiteman or Hartley for India for me, I can see the cases made for both players. Obviously as the best of a bad lot, since we have no keeper-batsmen good enough for tests right now.

Nevill and Wade have far too many deficiencies, as proven at test level to be selected. Nevill is a far better keeper but s**t against the spinners. Wade really has no upside in batting or keeping right now.

AS was said in the Guardian today - if all we need from our 5th bowler (Cartwright) is to bowl 4 overs out of 110 in the first innings (he didn't even bowl in the second innings) at less than 130/kms - why not just pick a true No 6 batsman, and give the gloves to Handscombe for a brief spell or 2 and let Wade bowl?

He's faster than Cartwright - he actually looked more dangerous in his one test over. There's your 5th bowler.

I dont want Handscombe to keep for the same reason i dont want smith to bowl.

Probably changed now but i think about a year ago Handscombe averaged mid 30s when he kept and low 50s when he just batted.

Smith since he shed his awful legspinnich has become a premier batsman.

With Warner, Smith, handscombe batting at orvabove 50 and renshaw and usman above 45 we have a top 5 for the rest of the decade and a bit into the next.

Our bowling looks settled subject to a quality spinner.

Cummins and or pattinson will push the incumbents

S

Remove this Banner Ad

Back