Multiplat Max Payne 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Very good post, well-said. "Somewhat underwhelmed yet somewhat happy" is a good way to put it.

It does succeed as "a shooter with multiplayer" -- they could've called it anything, could've used any 'dark' character from the annals of video games, or made up a totally new franchise/character, and it wouldn't have mattered.

A lot of the appeal of various games tho is giving the fans of a game what they want/expect from it, keeping the IP true to form. MP3 wasn't a total breaking away, it's faithful to many extents, but just that abandonment of the nightmare-psychadelia to me was where it failed as a game. THAT was specifically how they could've made MP3 stand in its own rights. I'm really disappointed because I was hoping MP3 would raise the bar in a 'next-gen' way that nightmarish-psychadelia specifically. Seeing them come up with more nightmares and hellscapes, and playing thru all that in a more graphically cinematic way, a more living-breathing environment as we see in games now like Uncharted/Last of Us.

It's kind of a malaise if it's okay "just as long as developers successfully make a "good shooter with multiplayer."

MP1 and 2 I've STILL kept the game tho I don't own a PS2. As you've read, many people played thru it and now are going to trade it in. That's what happens when you make 'just another shooter with mulitplayer.' A game like Last of Us, on the other hand, is looming as a game that one keeps for a long time.

As you've read, many people played thru it and now are going to trade it in. That's what happens when you make 'just another shooter with mulitplayer.' A game like Last of Us, on the other hand, is looming as a game that one keeps for a long time.

Well, it must be said the review I wrote was a day after it came out so I had not explored the replayability.
Shooters are typically the "trade in" after they've been played through types of games.
I'm not regularly a shooter player (usually RPG) but I got this game because of my enjoyment of the past two games (way back when on PC).
Having said that I just bought GoW3 and Cysis 2 because they were selling for a song.
So I am not totally a RPG fan-boy.

The insufficiencies in the lore were made up for me by the superior storyline.
And while the psychedelic levels were missing the gameplay mixed more combat requirements (for instance, requiring to use a rifle with sniper sight to cover someone).
While these are pretty typical in games now it wasn't overdone and rather enjoyable to attack a weird situation with bullet time (like the boat off the ramp).

Regarding Last of Us it is easy to speculate that such a game will be a long-time game when it has not been released yet.
Obviously you want more bang for your buck. If you are in to RPGs then, of course, something like Skyrim provides that.
For instance, I've played that game with two characters for a cumulative of over 200 hrs. Regardless what you think of the game that is good playability.
Shooters, you are unlikely to play through more than once (at an average of 12-15 hrs). Of course the multiplayer increases the relevance of the game, somewhat.
I can see reasonable future playability for Max Payne 3. Working your way up to New York Minute (or whatever is the equivalent in this game) seems like a challenging task and the multiplayer offers different challenges than the standard shooter. Though pales into comparison against games like Battlefield 3 and GoW3.
The bullet time (though I underused it) is sufficiently different from other games mechanics that it enables this shooter to stand strong.
If I was to compare games from two different genres. The most recent Batman game - Arkham City was extremely good but I finished it in shorter time than my playthrough of Max Payne 3 (not excluding some of the side quests of Batman). And I believe it has more replayability than Batman. Obviously different game types but in terms of the fact that I paid $79 from JB Hi Fi for both, my money was better spent on MP3.

Finally got around to playing this. MP1 is still my favourite game of all time. So high expectations great game with a enjoyed but didnt love. Because it was missing the second most important character NYC. I started on hard with free aim but due to time restrictions and me sucking had to finish it with soft lock. Missing the nightmare sequences badly.

I am hoping for a part 4 and a return to NYC, because as far as I can see Max still has unfinished business with that Mafia Boss, well actually might be the other way round.

Also, it was mentioned that you can buy MP1 from the PSN Store, so that will work on a non backward compatible PS3? Dumb question but I just want to make sure. Cheers.

Also, it was mentioned that you can buy MP1 from the PSN Store, so that will work on a non backward compatible PS3? Dumb question but I just want to make sure. Cheers.
Yeah you can and it will work fine.

Although beware...game hasn't aged well. I started it last month and really, really struggled with the old jank.

Finished it a few days ago...was pretty good. Shooting guys in the head while in slo-mo is awesome.
Second play through is annoying me. Spawning at checkpoints is a guessing game if your trying to get to a certain part of the level. Makes trying to get all the collectables/achievements a pain

Just picked it up, about to start chapter 2 and really enjoying it so far, looks promising.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Might get this next. Worth grabbing?

Anyone want to provide some cliffs on the pros/cons on the gameplay etc...?
it's a shoot em up, but bloody awesome. Set in Sao Paulo, which is a brilliant location. There's none of the "nightmare" stuff from Max, but he is still the same jaded old prick and he's bloody good to listen to, there's always a drink in one hand, a gun in the other, and a dame with a bullet hole in her head on the floor.

The mechanics are probably the best I've ever played in an FPS. The physics of the game engine are unbelievable - the bodies will ragdoll according to where you shoot them. The game-play is varied (there's sniper action as well), the story is great, and Max is a legend.

I don't have anything bad to say about this game at all frankly

Gameplay wise you're not going to get much better than Max Payne 3. It feels and plays fantastically (although it's a TPS, just so as not to get confused with Uppercut saying FPS).

The shoot dodge is extremely addicting and as Uppercut said, the physics and ragdoll on the bodies are awesome to watch as each enemy reacts and dies differently depending on how and how much you shot them.

However, the game isn't really a Max Payne game, as I have said a few times in this thread. It's just a story with Max Payne in it. Not to say it's a bad story, but it's relatively rote and cliche. However the injection of Max Payne and listening to him the whole game never gets old.

Worth picking up for sure.

One of my favorite games of the year. I've beaten it six times and on every difficulty.

Max is intoxicating. I love his demeanor. He is intense and made me want to continue playing. I wish there was open world to the game so we could see him interact with more people. I love his protective streak and how he is so dedicated to the people who pay him. He is just a great character and the gameplay is absolutely phenomenal. It was a rewarding game.

Borrowed it off a mate to have a look-see before I'd consider buying it. I've never played ANY of the previous Max Payne games nor seen the film, so story-wise I'm at a bit of a loss. Ah well.

Looks-wise it's BRILLIANT. Screen-blurring could be toned down a bit, don't mind the random words on the screen though. Dialogue is good. Gameplay... It's not a s**t game but it's dead boring. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. It might be echoing the character (dosen't have to think, dosen't WANT to think) but there's absolutely ZERO intuition needed for this game. You can only go forward. There's no exploration of the otherwise-fantastic settings you find yourself in. The game feels empty despite the hordes of bad guys.

This is just my opinion, mind. I ditched it still at the soccer stadium.

Borrowed it off a mate to have a look-see before I'd consider buying it. I've never played ANY of the previous Max Payne games nor seen the film, so story-wise I'm at a bit of a loss. Ah well.

Looks-wise it's BRILLIANT. Screen-blurring could be toned down a bit, don't mind the random words on the screen though. Dialogue is good. Gameplay... It's not a s**t game but it's dead boring. Shoot. Shoot. Shoot. It might be echoing the character (dosen't have to think, dosen't WANT to think) but there's absolutely ZERO intuition needed for this game. You can only go forward. There's no exploration of the otherwise-fantastic settings you find yourself in. The game feels empty despite the hordes of bad guys.

This is just my opinion, mind. I ditched it still at the soccer stadium.

Thats a fair assessment, I didnt mind part 3 because it was kinda what I expected after seeing the trailers etc. But its got nothing on the first 2, part 1 is still my favourite game of all time. Its not to dissimiliar in gameplay but the the atmosphere and noir style is captured perfectly. Its a shame you never played it back then I dont know how well its aged for someone who hasnt played it before and having played 3 first might affect your perception.

Yeah, i've ditched this game at the soccer stadium as well Geelong_Sicko

I think HBK619 might be touching on something with his previous post about it just being a game with Max Payne in it, without being a Max Payne game. I played parts of the 1st one and watched my brother play it as well and it was a really enjoyable experience. MP3 kind of feels like getting back with an ex, doesn't seem as good as the first time you remember it in a way.

I think its fantastic, and the flashbacks to the New York Max felt as if it paid homage to the original game. The bar shootout level is my favourite one climaxing with flying off the water tank. I havn't played online yet, whats it like for australians?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back