Multiplat Max Payne 3

Remove this Banner Ad

The way i got thru it was flukey tho...
i tried so many different tactics, some of them got me far, but most of them i got overrun and/or killed by the grenade launcher as the dude keeps firing them at you when you're too busy trying to deal with everyone to your left and right.

Anyway, after re-starting it like 50 times, one time I got shot to the point of death, fell back and got caught between four bits of cover. I shot the shooter to stay alive, but was trapped on the ground, kinda unable or unwilling to get up, i was getting overrun, guys were just running in. But due to the way i was lying on the ground on my back, with cover to my left/right, cover behind, and cover in front, to shoot me they had to run up close and i just lay there picking them off in mayhem, using every bit of bullettime i could muster, using it straight away. It just kept working until EVENTUALLY i noticed there were no more guys, just the boss with the rocket launcher left.

I think the best actual tactic is after shooting the first grenade in the air, to bolt to your left, so that big hangar stair thing kinda impedes the boss, and to try to get your back to the wall, with bits of boxes etc around you, establishing some kind of '300' narrowing in front.

The way i got thru it was flukey tho, i tried so many different tactics, some of them got me far, but most of them i got overrun and/or killed by the grenade launcher as the dude keeps firing them at you when you're too busy trying to deal with everyone to your left and right.

Anyway, after re-starting it like 50 times, one time I got shot to the point of death, fell back and got caught between four bits of cover. I shot the shooter to stay alive, but was trapped on the ground, kinda unable or unwilling to get up, i was getting overrun, guys were just running in. But due to the way i was lying on the ground on my back, with cover to my left/right, cover behind, and cover in front, to shoot me they had to run up close and i just lay there picking them off in mayhem, using every bit of bullettime i could muster, using it straight away. It just kept working until EVENTUALLY i noticed there were no more guys, just the boss with the rocket launcher left.

I think the best actual tactic is after shooting the first grenade in the air, to bolt to your left, so that big hangar stair thing kinda impedes the boss, and to try to get your back to the wall, with bits of boxes etc around you, establishing some kind of '300' narrowing in front.
seriously, do you not believe in spoiler codes?

I'm not quite finished, and I like to read this thread, but I'd like to work it out for myself first, and if I'm stuck come back and read your wisdom. You know, exactly what spoiler tags were invented for???

Just began Disc 2 - having a great time so far!

Playing on easy but still getting carved up on a regular basis - my own fault to a large extent so no problems with this, plus restarting after a death is real quick and minimally frustrating

Like it how Max holds his guns, probably been talked about before. None of that magically sticking weapons to your back bullshit, hope it sets a new standard.

Like guessing what bit of scenery max will jump off/slide down at the end of the level to shoot 8 baddies in the face

only thing giving me the willies is in the cutscenes how some words will be emphasised with text for no apparent reason. keep waiting for them to pop up and its destracting.

gee it's pretty violent isn't it? is this the standard for current gun games? those melee attacks where you disarm a bloke then shoot him in the eye had me saying holy s**t out loud for the first time since that execution in Manhunt where you sneak up behind a bloke with your baseball bat, choke him out then clock him one, while bits of his skull go flying.

hoping to finish the game over the weekend, might get into the old shooting games a bit more often after this.
Jake do you like the Alice games?

G'day Matt

I didn't mind Madness Returns, thought it dragged on a bit but not too bad. Only played about 5 minutes of American McGee's Alice. you a fan?

PS are you going to check out Lollipop Chainsaw (new game from the blokes who did Shadows of the Damned) - you can upskirt your cheerleader avatar while she chops off zombies heads to that Hey Mickey You're So Fine You're So Fine You Blow My Mind Hey Mickey song.

The way i got thru it was flukey tho...
i tried so many different tactics, some of them got me far, but most of them i got overrun and/or killed by the grenade launcher as the dude keeps firing them at you when you're too busy trying to deal with everyone to your left and right.

Finished it just now.

I did it by running left to the crate where the painkiller on the ground was near the ammo crate. Took cover there until I could wipe out everyone. Only took me four tries this time. End was a bit underwhelming but good game overall.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you gonna trade it in for?
I'm looking at Last of Us, Madden 13, and Watch Dogs, but I'm not sure what games are available right now worth getting. Recommendations?
Yeah, half advice, you still did it like a trooper, not some jaded hack like me :(
Don't expect the bolded for a LONG while.

Have you played the Batman games? What's your usual fair?

Usual fair...

Games like Uncharted, old Max Paynes, Last of Us....third-person thinking shooter/action type games.
Or straight out FPSer with a great story, like Battlefield 3...but i already have it.
Sports games...gridiron, hockey, etc.
Have enjoyed the odd platform game like a sly raccoon or jak and dexter type stuff.

But forget sports, looking for some recent release i may have completely overlooked, or maybe completely different to what I normally play.

See, my ps3 was out of action for about 6 months so been away a while, haven't kept abreast of that whole gaming world.

Some games I've seen at the rentals but havent tried...
LA Noire, Mafia III, Saints Row III, Homefront, or games like Alan Wake etc. Recommend the hottest titles from the last 6-8 months of releases.

Much appreciative.

Usual fair...

Games like Uncharted, old Max Paynes, Last of Us....third-person thinking shooter/action type games.
Or straight out FPSer with a great story, like Battlefield 3...but i already have it.
Sports games...gridiron, hockey, etc.
Have enjoyed the odd platform game like a sly raccoon or jak and dexter type stuff.

But forget sports, looking for some recent release i may have completely overlooked, or maybe completely different to what I normally play.

See, my ps3 was out of action for about 6 months so been away a while, haven't kept abreast of that whole gaming world.

Some games I've seen at the rentals but havent tried...
LA Noire, Mafia III, Saints Row III, Homefront, or something like Alan Wake etc type games.
Maybe have a go of inFAMOUS 2, if you haven't played it already. Came out this time last year. 3rd person shooter with the twist of the shooting being electrical powers.

Very superhero type story, really good character focus, very well done story altogether with some deep moments. Has comic book type cutscenes from time to time as well.

Also has a moral choice system.

Takes a little while to really get into it and get going, but I couldn't stop playing after I did.

Saints Row 3 is good fun for sure, very funny and some great crazy action.

I'm iffy on Mafia 2 and LA Noire, even though I do like the look of them. Mafia 2's very linear nature to the open world put me off it a bit, even though I was a HUGE fan of the original game.

Homefront doesn't look very good at all.

Thanks, I'll go with checking out infamous2, saints row 3.
So, LA Noire, you played and didnt like? Or just havent been tempted to get into?
Also, what about Hitman series? Is there a latest new release? Or how old is the last release?
Also, what about Duke Nukem latest game? I usually hate all that monsters/aliens type stuff, prefer something realistic and gritty, but heard nukem was well-made and story engaging?
And what's the batman arkham(?) game got going for it?

Thanks, I'll go with checking out infamous2, saints row 3.
So, LA Noire, you played and didnt like? Or just havent been tempted to get into?
Also, what about Hitman series? Is there a latest new release? Or how old is the last release?
Also, what about Duke Nukem latest game? I usually hate all that monsters/aliens type stuff, prefer something realistic and gritty, but heard nukem was well-made and story engaging?
And what's the batman arkham(?) game got going for it?
Haven't been tempted into LA Noire. I just get the feeling it'd get old quick. I love the look of the face capture stuff, but don't think there'd be enough variety in how the missions play out (as you solve everything eventually, just doesn't seem right if you're incompetent as *).

Hitman has the newest title coming out later this year, Absolution (November). Looking good. The last Hitman title was Blood Money, out on PS2/360/PC. I loved Blood Money. Both Blood Money and Contracts were phenomenally well made games. I'd dare say they still hold up today because of how it wasn't necessarily relying on cutting edge tech, just giving you open situations to attack how you want. Would be worth grabbing Blood Money. Maybe wait for the Steam sales as they usually have the Hitman games on sale. But Contracts and Blood Money are well worth your time. Personally I don't really rate Hitman 1 and 2 all that much as I don't feel they had the art nailed, but with Contracts and Blood Money you could literally spend about 10 hours on each level playing them over and over again. I know I did.

I bought Duke Nukem Forever but haven't yet opened it up. There's a lot wrong with it from what I have read. Long load times, relatively crap humour and the story isn't anything but cliche.

The Batman games, both Arkham Asylum and City (City being the latest Batman title) has an open world-ish type setting with really, really solid combat mechanics. The combat basically plays out in a rhythm game type of format where you don't just button mash the buttons, but you time them as the enemies attack you. The combat system basically works how Assassin's Creed's system should work, instead they seem to think that people can't handle more than 2 enemies coming at you at once.

May just be worth getting City, but both games are very well made, tell incredible stories that stick true to the comics and have some really great cameo's throughout.

Haven't been tempted into LA Noire. I just get the feeling it'd get old quick. I love the look of the face capture stuff, but don't think there'd be enough variety in how the missions play out (as you solve everything eventually, just doesn't seem right if you're incompetent as ****).

I bought Duke Nukem Forever but haven't yet opened it up. There's a lot wrong with it from what I have read. Long load times, relatively crap humour and the story isn't anything but cliche.

The Batman games, both Arkham Asylum and City (City being the latest Batman title) has an open world-ish type setting with really, really solid combat mechanics. The combat basically plays out in a rhythm game type of format where you don't just button mash the buttons, but you time them as the enemies attack you. The combat system basically works how Assassin's Creed's system should work, instead they seem to think that people can't handle more than 2 enemies coming at you at once.

May just be worth getting City, but both games are very well made, tell incredible stories that stick true to the comics and have some really great cameo's throughout.
Thought LA Noire was a good game in short bursts (a couple of hours at a time) i didn't like the whole open world idea so i just stayed with the story missions. I think it had enough variety in it for a purchase, and from memory EB have it for about $25 atm, it's worth a purchase at that.

Only played the demo of Duke and that was enough, maybe a little more than enough actually.

I enjoyed Asylum more than City, i think the open world took something away from the atmosphere of the game for some reason. But bothare very worthy purchases imo.

Thanks again for your detailed replies.

so...
infamous2
saints row 3
hitman - blood money and contracts (these are pc not ps3? or ps2 downloadable from psn store?)
batman - arkham asylum / city
Yeah, Blood Money and Contracts are PC, none on PS3.

Oh also I forgot. There was a listing a week or so ago for a Hitman Collection, so maybe wait on that coming out, I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to bring out a remastered set of the Hitman games on PS3/360 and PC.

Thanks again for your detailed replies.

so...
infamous2
saints row 3
hitman - blood money and contracts (these are pc not ps3? or ps2 downloadable from psn store?)
batman - arkham asylum / city
If you ae going to play infamous 2 then you have to play 1 first, it was goty for me, and 09 had some goood games (AC2, Batman AA, Uncharted 2, MW2, KZ2 and borderlands) how much did i like it? well i have only ever played through a handfull games more than once, and infamous 1 and 2 are two of those handfull of games.

Just finished on hard with no aim lock. Feel like I really achieved something, the bit near the end with hundreds of dudes is crazy.

Loved the bit near the end where s**t is getting real and the beats kicked in. Probably has more impact as the game isn't music heavy.

And I got to enjoy those beats kicking in many times as I died repeatedly in that bit lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back