**MB Thread** Bombers, Dees, Tiges, North – views from the outside

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Bombers, Dees, Tiges, North – views from the outside

at the start of the year he seemed a bit tentative but by years end he was alot better. not sure if you can pluck 1 instance as the be all and end all of it. also you guys didnt boo him as your too busy booing stanton:D:D!

Round 14, end of third quarter, goal square. Had plenty of time but was indecisive, sold himself out and coughed it up in hilarious fashion to Jack Watts who then goaled on the siren. Perfect example of him cracking under pressure.

Round 14, end of third quarter, goal square. Had plenty of time but was indecisive, sold himself out and coughed it up in hilarious fashion to Jack Watts who then goaled on the siren. Perfect example of him cracking under pressure.

Would've easily finished top 10 in the efc b&f had he wanted to stay, but he didn't. Instead he's now playing at a club where the coaching staff have backed him 100%, his teammates have the ultimate respect for his character, love his deadly left foot and us Tiges supporters know exactly what he's capable of.

Unfortuantely for efc fans, they just can't seem to get over the fact that one player slipped through the cracks......get over it and enjoy the video esepcially the 2min 21sec mark.

Houli will only get better and tougher in 2012

[YOUTUBE]xodsPPbN4Xg[/YOUTUBE]

Houli had a very good year imo, citing a few things that happened because he was put under pressure by teammates or there was just nobody to kick to is poor. Houli has a great kick that should be a weapon on the tigers HB line.

Would've easily finished top 10 in the efc b&f had he wanted to stay, but he didn't. Instead he's now playing at a club where the coaching staff have backed him 100%, his teammates have the ultimate respect for his character, love his deadly left foot and us Tiges supporters know exactly what he's capable of.

Unfortuantely for efc fans, they just can't seem to get over the fact that one player slipped through the cracks......get over it and enjoy the video esepcially the 2min 21sec mark.

Houli will only get better and tougher in 2012

[YOUTUBE]xodsPPbN4Xg[/YOUTUBE]
He had a good year...
But we arent crying, we managed without him for basically his whole career and Hird only asked him to stay because he wanted to give everyone a chance at proving themselves

I cracked a chub, that was a great goal. Richmond were on a bit of a run before that, Melbourne kicking terribly (1.10 so far that quarter).... enter Houli and Watts.

That's all well and good but the football world has been hearing that for 30 years. In 2001 the tigers were "coming", in 2004 the five year plan was apparently in swing, in 2006 they were supposed to be on the rise again and then again in 09 and 11. Untill they actually do it people have every right to point to culture.

Sigh....

I admitted that Richmond have clearly had issues in the past maximising our potential. The point I was making is that examining "culture" might be useful when forming an explanation after the fact, and could be useful to improve future operations, but assuming the future will mimic the past because of some unknowable, unchangeable "culture" value is not an intelligent way of predicting future performance. Our coaches, players, and facilities in 2011 are vastly different to those from 2009, which are vastly different to those from 2006, and from 2001, and from 1995 etc. Why do you think the "culture" from those periods will have any effect our performance next year?

The idea you are expressing is not meaningful, accurate, or interesting. If we managed to trade in Judd, Ablett, and Pendlebury and you could still say "Nah, they'll still fail because of culture - the last 30 years are proof". We apparently can't start winning until we get a better culture, and we get a better culture by winning, right? Why bother discussing us at all, we're apparently caught in a loop of failure? Can't you can see why Richmond and Melbourne fans might find this supercilious line of thinking insulting?

That's all well and good but the football world has been hearing that for 30 years. In 2001 the tigers were "coming", in 2004 the five year plan was apparently in swing, in 2006 they were supposed to be on the rise again and then again in 09 and 11. Untill they actually do it people have every right to point to culture.
What's your excuse for Melbourne who made the finals 6 times between 1998 and 2006 (with predominantly the same team), before beginning our rebuild at the end of 07 (when the majority of that team retired)?

lol @ Richmond suportes getting excited over Bachar Hoiuli

Pretty mnuch in line woth them being pumped abiout having an weak list and crap coach.

Tigers are going nowhere, fast.

Hardly a great example, Newman really sold Houli into trouble with a slow hand-pass.

What's your excuse for Melbourne who made the finals 6 times between 1998 and 2006 (with predominantly the same team), before beginning our rebuild at the end of 07 (when the majority of that team retired)?

Culture.
:D

Richmond, Melbourne, and Carlton continue to cop it because the high draft picks on our lists keep our bad years fresh in peoples minds. They'll mumble something about "legacies of failure" and "negative cultures" whilst keeping their fingers crossed and hoping that we don't push them out of the 8.

North Melbourne- Have some quality senior players ala Essendon. Swallow is a top line midfielder, Goldstein is a top line ruckman, Petrie is a quality forward/ruckman, Harvey still gets the job done and Wells has finally put a quality season together. North supporters will bang on about how great Ziebull will be, but I personally don't see it. Could be because i don't see every North game or could be because I am right.

So if you're wrong it's because you don't watch us, but if you're right it's just because you're right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon will be battling for a spot in the top 4. The Dees, Tiges and North will be battling to avoid a spot in the bottom 4.

Culture.
:D

Richmond, Melbourne, and Carlton continue to cop it because the high draft picks on our lists keep our bad years fresh in peoples minds. They'll mumble something about "legacies of failure" and "negative cultures" whilst keeping their fingers crossed and hoping that we don't push them out of the 8.

For what it is worth TT I agree with you. This culture thing will be a thing of the past. Players and footy departments in general are becoming more and more monocultural. Nearly every player in the AFL has been through "elite pathways" as juniors. Representing their leagues, then TAC cup and most likely their state.

Dimma has been involved at premierships at 3 clubs as well as the fact that most fitness staff and assistant coaches move around and take intellectual property with them. Eventually "best practice" will be sorted and all clubs will be doing it, or to the best of their ability with the restraint of the money they can afford to spend on the footy department.

Obviously Richmond has had a history of picking badly in the draft and then not developing them right. I get the feeling that Dimma will change all that. Of course this doesnt guarantee success, just ask Ross Lyon and Rocket Eade.

I think most Dons fans would have preferred to keep Houli - but he was unable to force his way into a weak side in 2010 for extended periods, no matter who was coach. That has to count for something.

He's an elite kick, but I think the majority of Essendon fans prefer Hibberd, who can shut down medium forwards like Stevie J, even if wouldn't want to step out of line anytime soon.

This thread is crap, it is meant to be an unbiased view but you have scared all the non-bias posters away with scawbling and peen measuring.

Title indicated view from the outside

I don't watch enough of Essendon due to a pure blind hatred of them so I won't comment on them. North I rarely watch also, no real reason, just don't tend to get excited by their games, so won't comment either.

I see a fair amount of Richmond due to family members supporting them and just a general soft spot for them. They are entering a really exciting period for their supporters, and while I don't think they will make the 8 next year, they will improve enough to have pundits dropping all their cash on them for a 2013 finals appearance. The midfield has been spoken of already, and if Maric can finally provide enough of the ball to Cotchin, Martin, Foley and co. then one missing ingredient is found. Up front, I forsee not necessarily a breakout year for Ben Griffiths, but plenty of game time and persistence from the selection committee to prepare him for a giant 2013 and providing the Tiges with true support for Riewoldt (Miller is serviceable, but not the long term answer) What I like about Dimma is what he gets out of the players who a few years back looked dead and gone. The Push-Up King is one of those players who could have easily been delisted, but he was provided a specific role of that defensive small forward, to which he was one of the most effective going around by the end of the year, nullifying opponents as well as hitting the score board.

Question marks over the defence are well documented as well. Can they hold up if Lids is pushed into the midfield? Will Houli and Grigg be as effective as he sweeping along the half back line? The model Rance has finally come on, but needs a lot more support. McGuane isn't really it, but if Kelvin Moore can get fit again, and they can pump more games into Grimey mk II then all of a sudden they start to look a bit more stable. Newman gives you what you expect. Should hold the captaincy one more year before handing over to Cotchin provided he stays injury free.

A lot of similarities between Tigs and Dees. Dees back more developed than Rich. Rich forwards arguably ahead of dees (Though remove Riewoldt and quetsion marks start emerging) Rich mids have more quality, though I believe the dees are underrated a bit.

It's all speculative at this point. Any of the four sides can finish anywhere, but that is my perspective on where the Tigers are at.

I think most Dons fans would have preferred to keep Houli - but he was unable to force his way into a weak side in 2010 for extended periods, no matter who was coach. That has to count for something.

He's an elite kick, but I think the majority of Essendon fans prefer Hibberd, who can shut down medium forwards like Stevie J, even if wouldn't want to step out of line anytime soon.

I Love Hibberd, he would slaughter Houli 1 on 1.

I'm not saying he's crap, far from it. I'm just saying that when he wins your B+F, you need to have a bit of a think about where you stand.

Off topic but I find your posting extremely bias and think you make north posters look like complete w***ers. Do us all a favor and pull your head in. You bag Zaha and Houli when if you took your blinkers off you would realize they are both easy top 10 players at North.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back