MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

The buckets of money are actually being thrown at struggling Melbourne clubs. The investment in expansion is a whole different matter.

Not true, not anymore anyway. Saints have 10mil debt, Dees have 4 but they've recording profits each year and won't be long til they're standing on their own. Dogs have eradicated theirs and North have theirs down to around 400k

I don't know what the numbers are for the expansion clubs but I'd argue it's more than the Dees and certainly more than North.

All that is besides the point anyway, I was merely pointing out this is not a bias action by HQ otherwise there'd be no expansion teams in fact there'd be no AFL.

Let us have something?
I suppose considering we only have the F1 grand prix.
One of the biggest horse races in the world.
The most prestegious surfing event in the world.
Been voted most livable city in the world a record number of times.
Have no lockouts or curfews.
Host a Grand Slam tennis tournaments.
Have amazing resturants.
One of the biggest comedy festivals in the world.
Just been voted the best live music city in the world.

I mean we are just SO lucky that you guys LET us have something.

edit. oh yeh, and the coffee
Horse racing, surfing and racing cars???

hahahahahahahaha give me a spell.

Maybe 'livable', but it's still a grey and dreary place.

The NFL says hi.

Just consider if a GF was held at the Adelaide Oval - you don't have to worry about MCC or AFL members - 50k stadium for all competing club fans. Can charge top $ like the NFL and probably still generate more cash than a GF at the G.
The NFL only hosts Superbowls at stadiums with a capacity of 70k plus. Would you care to show me your 70k seat stadium?

I don't mind it being at the MCG for now and in the short to medium term future however, it is inevitable the GF will move one day.

Signing contracts for decades instead of years is just poor business and offers zero flexibility to the AFL later when this 'national' competition demands change.

I believe the competition will reach another level of growth when the GF can move cities.

50k tickets vs 100k tickets is a silly a silly argument when 2million + are watching on tv.

Eg 100k at the ground. 2mill watching from home VS.
50k at the ground and 2.04mill watching from home.

Who really cares?

The upside of a moving GF is that it promotes growth in the code nationally.
Smaller venues can easily be be filled out with pop-up bars, temporary flat screens to sell additional tickets.

The money can roll into AFL coffers regardless of location.

Furthermore, by opening the GF to any venue in Australia they could allow cities/venues to bid on it each year (World cup/Olympics style). If victoria/mcc wins the bidding each year then so be it, but right now theyre winning a 1 horse race for decades on end. How exactly does that encourage growth in the competition?

That kind of growth = much higher prices for fans. Enjoy

You do know individuals on big footy don't have a say in how billion dollar projects are designed and funded nor could individual teams afford to cover the cost of a stadium, right? What are you even saying?

You think the biggest tenants of the grounds ie geelong, wce,freo,adelaide etc aren't consulted when the grounds are built. If they asked for specific ground dimensions they would get them. It's not rocket science but with the complaining I'm not surprised you don't understand

Not true, not anymore anyway. Saints have 10mil debt, Dees have 4 but they've recording profits each year and won't be long til they're standing on their own. Dogs have eradicated theirs and North have theirs down to around 400k

I don't know what the numbers are for the expansion clubs but I'd argue it's more than the Dees and certainly more than North.

All that is besides the point anyway, I was merely pointing out this is not a bias action by HQ otherwise there'd be no expansion teams in fact there'd be no AFL.
We won't agree about the financial help, but we actually do about your main point. The arguments not as simple as Vic's v everyone else. I don't think it's bias. I am in favour of the GF at the G. I do get the argument being put by other posters but I don' see a reasonable solution. In the circumtances extending the arrangement to get funding is a good move in my view.

Last edited:
The NFL says hi.

Just consider if a GF was held at the Adelaide Oval - you don't have to worry about MCC or AFL members - 50k stadium for all competing club fans. Can charge top $ like the NFL and probably still generate more cash than a GF at the G.
Why do you think the AFL would get rid of its cash cow (AFL members) just because the game was moved?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The NFL only hosts Superbowls at stadiums with a capacity of 70k plus. Would you care to show me your 70k seat stadium?

That's the criteria for hosting it, the AFL don't set a minimum seating capacity. I have no problem if the AFL said you can only host the GF if you meet a certain criteria but they haven't.

Both WA and SA have just built a new stadium or renovated their previous ground, perhaps if they forked out and ensured their ground held a decent crowd size they would have a leg to stand on.

Optus holds just over 60,000 which is just over half the MCG, they had every opportunity to make that ground 80-90,000 but chose not to.

Interstate fans grievance should be with their state governments, Vic shouldn't be punished because interstate clubs cheaped out on smaller grounds and cheaper LED's.
Optus is upgradable - the current contract went for another 20 years.

so the interstate club's would give up one of their home games at the SCG, AO, Perth stadium,etc to play those games at the mcg?
As if they'd do that
How do you figure that?

We play hawthorn at the g not tasmania.

Thats what we were talking about.

AFL CEO is from SA. Commission Chairman is from WA. But this is all Vic bias and not an obvious decision. :drunk:

Apparently the Northern/Members/Ponsford redevelopment holds about 55k currently so replicating that could take it to 110k, or more considering there is virtually no third level of the redevelopment (due to broadcasters, boxes, etc.), yet level 3 goes all around the GSS.
Don’t forget the northern stand is a little over half the circumference of the stadium, so chucking the exact same thing on the southern side won’t necessarily double the capacity. Though, as you say, there could be a 3rd level unlike the northern side, and massive scoreboards don’t get in the way

So i propose something along these lines:

The VFL just signed for another 20 years at the mcg.

Completely behind the scenes backdoor deal.

Not even trying to be a national comp.

Good luck playing mcg tenants at the g - unless we are a substantially better team we have no chance.

I reckon all interstate supporters have to band together and boycott watching the gf unless we are in it.

Hit them where it hurts.

#notsupportingthevfl

That's the criteria for hosting it, the AFL don't set a minimum seating capacity. I have no problem if the AFL said you can only host the GF if you meet a certain criteria but they haven't.
I’m sure if the WA/SA governments approached the AFL and asked what they would need, I’m sure the AFL would provide them with the details. Shame they just went and built little ones anyway.

Im a country member not some toorak range rover driving campaigner
:moustache: Same here old chap, look at my location. I'm a country member as well. Still think the whole thing is spiffing wot wot. As long as MY membership gives value. ;):moustache:

That’s fine but don’t get all salty about people not rating your success through unearned advantages
Who's salty skipper?

I'm 46 mate, waited years for a flag. Will never, ever forget it. Whether or not you rate it won't ruin my day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back