MCG to host GF through to 2057

Remove this Banner Ad

It could happen?

you blokes lost the plot about traveling an hour up the road for a qualifying final, imagine if you finished top and hosted West Coast in Perth in a GF

I don't have an issue with the MCG being the place for the GF, poll the players (95%+) and fans and I think (80%+)

The issue is with the lack of access and the MCC. Gil has come out and said they are working on/looking into the issue. Very political in his response.

Plan A : MCC get stripped from the GF, just pay them out, you are flush with the money. If, buts and candy nuts, just make it happen.
Plan B : Make it a 3 game series, F#$k the too taxing on players argument. Too taxing, make it less taxing.

Plan B :
  • Rosters are too small now!, many teams are 1/4 down on players already this season, we play a hard game. NFL has 11 players on the field and have rosters of 53+. We play a team game over a longer season, expand the roster.
  • The MCG becomes either the opening or the deciding 2nd/3rd game.
    • Vic team was top/higher at the regular season, game one is at the MCG, game 2 is either at the non-vic teams biggest home state stadium (Optus, AO, , SCG, Gabba) or if a Vic team at the MCG. Game 3 is back a the Vic teams biggest stadium (MCG)
    • Non-Vic team was top/higher at the regular season, game one is at their teams states biggest stadium (Optus, AO, , SCG, Gabba), game 2 at the MCG (which will be the decider, but at the same time be a neutral ground or sorts), game 3 back at the Non-Vic teams states biggest stadium (Optus, AO, , SCG, Gabba)

Narrative
  • AFL makes a f#$k load of money
  • MCG and the MCC get critical games, perhaps more than ever before.
  • MCC members could get upto 3 GF games, at least 1, often 2/3
  • Non-Vic teams get a taste of equity
  • Non-Vic teams get major events at their stadiums, growing the game

Lucky that you such a dyed in the wool AFL supporter, that you'll never tire of watching other clubs enjoy the ultimate success

If any boring interstate teams like WCE ever make it I'll just flog the ticket for $2k covering my membership for the year and a weekend away.

Eagerly awaiting 2057 and the melts from interstate supporters on BF, when MCG Grand Final gets extended until 2097.

The AFL won't be around in 2057, there won't be a person alive who even remembers the AFL in 2097

1 team per state with a proper draft and a proper fixture why would any one team dominate?

And which Victorian team would give up 100+ years of history to join a breakaway league....
A breakaway league would need 10 teams. 4 Vic, 2 WA, 2 SA, 1 qld, 1 nsw - full h/a. With expansion to 12 later (tas + 1 other). Would need to be existing teams, even if they can't use existing ip.

Many sports organise the grand final venue a week before, logistics is hard, but not impossible. They do it with MCG prelims already.

Probably never happen, but is how they should have formed the afl in the first place 30 years ago.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

A breakaway league would need 10 teams. 4 Vic, 2 WA, 2 SA, 1 qld, 1 nsw - full h/a. With expansion to 12 later (tas + 1 other). Would need to be existing teams, even if they can't use existing ip.

Many sports organise the grand final venue a week before, logistics is hard, but not impossible. They do it with MCG prelims already.

Probably never happen, but is how they should have formed the afl in the first place 30 years ago.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Name one sport that organizes a 80-100k size event a week in advance
Including entertainment and everything else

This thread is depressing. I was personally devastated by the announcement to extend the already long MCG monopoly. Not only am I almost certain to never see a Grand Final played in the city that I love, but the deal that orchestrated that was driven by Eddie Maguire and the HQ of our supposedly national league allowed it to happen.

I completely understand the history of the VFL is important to Victorian supporters, and I have no desire to see it diminished, or to devalue the proud history of our Victorian clubs. I just wish Victorian supporters could pay some respect to SA and WA supporters who also passionately love the game and their clubs and just want to see the competition played on a level footing.

Where was the WA govt when the latest agreement was being discussed?

Asleep at the wheel again.

Well it seems quite likely they had no idea it was even happening. Seeing as though the current MCG deal was in place for another 20 ******* years!

What do you mean ‘again’?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well it seems quite likely they had no idea it was even happening. Seeing as though the current MCG deal was in place for another 20 ******* years!
Yep, they obviously had no idea.
It would have taken a forward thinking group to negotiate this far in advance.
Then there is the WA govt.

You’d think when they forward plan and build a shiny new stadium there would be a plan in place to find a showpiece event for it. Perhaps the govt were just happy with the Derbys each year.

Yep, they obviously had no idea.
It would have taken a forward thinking group to negotiate this far in advance.
Then there is the WA govt.

You’d think when they forward plan and build a shiny new stadium there would be a plan in place to find a showpiece event for it. Perhaps the govt were just happy with the Derbys each year.

Seems you have some kind of issue with the WA Govt. I suppose that is your right, but inferring that they lack vision is simply ridiculous considering the amount spent in recent history on infrastructure.

I don't have an issue with the MCG being the place for the GF, poll the players (95%+) and fans and I think (80%+)

The issue is with the lack of access and the MCC. Gil has come out and said they are working on/looking into the issue. Very political in his response.

Plan A : MCC get stripped from the GF, just pay them out, you are flush with the money. If, buts and candy nuts, just make it happen.
Plan B : Make it a 3 game series, F#$k the too taxing on players argument. Too taxing, make it less taxing.

Plan B :
  • Rosters are too small now!, many teams are 1/4 down on players already this season, we play a hard game. NFL has 11 players on the field and have rosters of 53+. We play a team game over a longer season, expand the roster.
  • The MCG becomes either the opening or the deciding 2nd/3rd game.
    • Vic team was top/higher at the regular season, game one is at the MCG, game 2 is either at the non-vic teams biggest home state stadium (Optus, AO, , SCG, Gabba) or if a Vic team at the MCG. Game 3 is back a the Vic teams biggest stadium (MCG)
    • Non-Vic team was top/higher at the regular season, game one is at their teams states biggest stadium (Optus, AO, , SCG, Gabba), game 2 at the MCG (which will be the decider, but at the same time be a neutral ground or sorts), game 3 back at the Non-Vic teams states biggest stadium (Optus, AO, , SCG, Gabba)

Narrative
  • AFL makes a f#$k load of money
  • MCG and the MCC get critical games, perhaps more than ever before.
  • MCC members could get upto 3 GF games, at least 1, often 2/3
  • Non-Vic teams get a taste of equity
  • Non-Vic teams get major events at their stadiums, growing the game

MCC will never give up GF access would completely defeat the purpose of the membership.

NFL have 11 on the field at any one time but have 11 offense, 11 defense plus special teams players who are active for any one game so at least 30 players being used in any one game. They also have 46 active players on game day out if the 53 man roster. Not to mention the fact larger lists in the AFL are simply not feasible as there does not exist the quality of players to fill the current list requirements we have now without expanding

Seems you have some kind of issue with the WA Govt. I suppose that is your right, but inferring that they lack vision is simply ridiculous considering the amount spent in recent history on infrastructure.
you don't seriously think that the MCG has an issue with competition with the WAGs.. so to speak.

1 team per state with a proper draft and a proper fixture why would any one team dominate?

And which Victorian team would give up 100+ years of history to join a breakaway league....
You’d have to completely eliminate the idea of players choosing where they play, or else you’d end up with the Victorian club able to pick freely from almost half the talent pool.

I have no issue with the WA govt.
But some WA posters in this thread should probably direct some of their blame towards their state leaders who sat on their hands while the MCG locked away the grand final for another 20 years.

Instead they moan after the decision has been made.

There does appear to have been very little consultation with non Victorian football representatives in making this deal.
Screams a VFL decision rather than an AFL decision which is the problem.
ah you would like to think so but that is probably not the case... don't flap your wings in the hope that it gets you something that you don't
or can't deserve.. it is not your calling ..

I have no issue with the WA govt.
But some WA posters in this thread should probably direct some of their blame towards their state leaders who sat on their hands while the MCG locked away the grand final for another 20 years.

Instead they moan after the decision has been made.

The MCG didn't make the decision themselves, it required the AFL to agree to it without even tendering to other states to see what deal they would offer. At the very least that's a shocking lack of due diligence on the part of the AFL.

MCC will never give up GF access would completely defeat the purpose of the membership.
as there does not exist the quality of players to fill the current list requirements we have now without expanding

Don't buy that, the lower league's have tonnes of talent. Jes, I was amazed at the talent at my Sons first game of footy a couple of weeks ago. Its all relative, if VFL, WAFL, SANFL had the camera's and coverage of Friday footy, you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Realy, AO and Optus pay about the same with no GF access, but still selling out with waiting lists.

I'd love to be a Vic tax payer, paying for the 30,000 elite to get their god given (subsided) right to the GF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back