Meeting your heroes

Remove this Banner Ad

I sat next to Terry Alderman on a flight from Sydney to Melbourne when the pilots strike was on. I've met three people I'd regard as heroes of mine, AB, Govan Mbeki and Julia Gillard. None of them disappointed, they were super cool, I was totally star f***ed.

Julia Gillard? The PM who was too gutless to pass ssm?

If I saw someone hugely famous who I thought was okay or really relevant to me, like Thom Yorke down the street or something, I'd try with a 'g'day' but leave it there. If it was a Taylor Swift and it's that rare and she's that famous I'll be a kid and get a photo.

He seems like the kind of guy you would get nothing out of...

Know some people who spent 2 years in the UK and did some recording at a studio owned by Yorke, he turned up one day and they introduced themselves to him and how much they enjoyed radiohead ect, Yorke (with zero eye conduct) said 'thanks' and walked away.

Be hard to tell if he was or wasn't looking at you with that wonky eye of his.

I haven't heard of anyone that has had a pleasant experience with him, but that's what you get with creative types of people. I don't hold it against him.

He seems like the kind of guy you would get nothing out of...

Know some people who spent 2 years in the UK and did some recording at a studio owned by Yorke, he turned up one day and they introduced themselves to him and how much they enjoyed radiohead ect, Yorke (with zero eye conduct) said 'thanks' and walked away.
He owns a studio?

I don't resent him for it. I'd say g'day for myself. But the dude makes depressive music about alienation and unhappiness, what do people expect? There's a lot to be said for a life that's like a conveyor belt of platitudes and sycophancy from mostly meaningless people you'll never see again.

I haven't heard of anyone that has had a pleasant experience with him, but that's what you get with creative types of people. I don't hold it against him.

I haven't met him but I saw Radiohead live back in 1998 on their OK Computer tour and he had some friendly banter with the crowd in between songs, he didn't come across as the aloof pretentious campaigner that he gets made out to be, well not back then anyway.

I sat next to Terry Alderman on a flight from Sydney to Melbourne when the pilots strike was on. I've met three people I'd regard as heroes of mine, AB, Govan Mbeki and Julia Gillard. None of them disappointed, they were super cool, I was totally star f***ed.

Who drove the plane??

Who drove the plane??
They let foreign carriers run domestic routes, I seem to remember it might have been Yugoslav Air or something like that. My old man got a couple of flights on RAAF plans at the time which he said was good fun.

Everyone is different. I've met a heap of footy players at one point or another but in terms of "heros", only really Skilton, Goodesy & MickeyO would be in the "heros" category. All absolutely lovely. Bobby was bloody funny & it felt like he had all the time in the world for me despite probably not actually being the case. Adam was very quiet & modest whereas the few times I've met Mick he was the boisterous, loud funny bloke.

Maybe not heros but probably footy people of note (I'll exclude most of the Swans haha) would include:

The good = Lloyd, Dermie (surprising because I dislike him on the telly haha), Brayshaw.

The bad = Campbell Brown, Brownless (surprising given his demeanor on telly), McLaughlin (Hamish), Gary Lyon.

Everyone is different. I've met a heap of footy players at one point or another but in terms of "heros", only really Skilton, Goodesy & MickeyO would be in the "heros" category. All absolutely lovely. Bobby was bloody funny & it felt like he had all the time in the world for me despite probably not actually being the case. Adam was very quiet & modest whereas the few times I've met Mick he was the boisterous, loud funny bloke.

Maybe not heros but probably footy people of note (I'll exclude most of the Swans haha) would include:

The good = Lloyd, Dermie (surprising because I dislike him on the telly haha), Brayshaw.

The bad = Campbell Brown, Brownless (surprising given his demeanor on telly), McLaughlin (Hamish), Gary Lyon.

I ran into Garry Lyon in a nightclub in Perth back in the 90s after one of Melbourne's games here and he snubbed me when I tried to talk to him.

I don't think even his teammates liked him either as I was chatting to Todd Viney who was a ripping bloke and I mentioned to him that Garry Lyon had snubbed me and he said "Don't worry about him, he's a f***ing w***er".

They let foreign carriers run domestic routes, I seem to remember it might have been Yugoslav Air or something like that. My old man got a couple of flights on RAAF plans at the time which he said was good fun.
Off topic but i wish foreign airlines could fly domestic routes. Bit more competition is always good.

I once saw Gary Lyon walk out the back exit of David Jones in Melbourne and he did this look around and then quickly chucked on some big sunglasses, it was like he was Cristiano Ronaldo in the central square of Madrid or George Clooney exiting the Nespresso store. Just had this air of self-importance. Absolute flog.

The fact he’s back on tele so quickly, and the fact he rooted someone he shouldn’t have and went the whole ‘did it because I was depressed’ just shows he lacks any intelligence or self awareness. *head.

Also sat there potting Melbourne at every chance and didn’t want to get involved and actually help them out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would've preferred any of Menaglio, Fong, Duckworth, Dayman.
Menaglio was my favourite Cardie when I was a kid.

Had his pictures all over my room.

Terror Dayman. RIP

Jason Heatley doesn't like this.

Heatley is still one of my Subi WAFL heroes, was stoked when St Kilda picked him up, he was brilliant for us in 1997, a pity he couldn't go on with it.

Speaking of Subi players, Michael "Crutchy" Crutchfield was our school health/phys-ed teacher back around 1986, me and another Subi supporting mate used to hammer him with questions about Subi, he was like "I'm not here to talk about Subi boys" but I reckon he still loved the fact we even knew who he was.

Heatley is still one of my Subi WAFL heroes, was stoked when St Kilda picked him up, he was brilliant for us in 1997, a pity he couldn't go on with it.

Speaking of Subi players, Michael "Crutchy" Crutchfield was our school health/phys-ed teacher back around 1986, me and another Subi supporting mate used to hammer him with questions about Subi, he was like "I'm not here to talk about Subi boys" but I reckon he still loved the fact we even knew who he was.
Clint Roberts was my Phys-ed teacher when he was running around for Subi in the '80s

I asked him if he ever got any VFL offers and he reckons Carlton had a chat but nothing came of it.

I had four different year five teachers and one of them was ex Sturt full forward Ken Whelan who kicked a hundred goals a couple of times in the mid 70s. He hadn't played for a while but he was still a local hero, when he died recently they described him as the Modra of the 70s. He was a "cool" teacher too, smoked little cheroots, rode a motor bike and played Beatles tunes in the classroom

Clint Roberts was my Phys-ed teacher when he was running around for Subi in the '80s

I asked him if he ever got any VFL offers and he reckons Carlton had a chat but nothing came of it.

He was a solid defender from memory, not sure he was AFL quality but he wouldn't have been out of his depth. same with Crutchy who was a quality fullback.

Subi had a star studded team in 1986 when we won the flag - Laurie Keene, Dwayne Lamb, Phil Lamb, Andrew McNeish, Mark Zanotti and Karl Langdon

All got picked up by West Coast when they kicked off in 1987, which was hard as I went from loving those guys to hating them.

He was a solid defender from memory, not sure he was AFL quality but he wouldn't have been out of his depth. same with Crutchy who was a quality fullback.

Subi had a star studded team in 1986 when we won the flag - Laurie Keene, Dwayne Lamb, Phil Lamb, Andrew McNeish, Mark Zanotti and Karl Langdon

All got picked up by West Coast when they kicked off in 1987, which was hard as I went from loving those guys to hating them.
I remember going to the Subi v Hawthorn "Clash of the Premiers" game in 1986.

Good game where the Hawks only got up by a couple of points.

Zanotti gave Dipper a bath and Ian Dargie threw his weight around.

I think Stephen Sells kicked a bag.

I remember going to the Subi v Hawthorn "Clash of the Premiers" game in 1986.

Good game where the Hawks only got up by a couple of points.

Zanotti gave Dipper a bath and Ian Dargie threw his weight around.

I think Stephen Sells kicked a bag.

Sells was a brilliant goal sneak, that 1986 Subi team could've definitely mixed it in the AFL, there was talk about them being admitted ahead of West Coast.

Got to meet David Hookes during the lunch interval at a shield game when i was about 12, he was my favourite player, he took me around to each of the players and introduced me to each one and i got their autographs, then i got the opportunity to bowl to him in the nets with Peter Sleep and another play, over 30 years later, i still remember it like it happened last week

Got to meet David Hookes during the lunch interval at a shield game when i was about 12, he was my favourite player, he took me around to each of the players and introduced me to each one and i got their autographs, then i got the opportunity to bowl to him in the nets with Peter Sleep and another play, over 30 years later, i still remember it like it happened last week
I had a similar experience with Neil Craig, I was hanging round at Sturt training and I went up to him for an autograph. He ended up having a kick with me and then took me into the rooms and intoduced me to the team. Always had a soft spot for him because of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back