Melb CBD incident

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a different world now - the wait and see approach is no longer valid.

Terrorists have realized you don't need a plane or a bomb to create carnage anymore - just a car or a truck.

Now, lunatics like this piece of s**t have realized the same; school shooters might be next - why go to all of that trouble, when you can just ram your car into crowds?

There needs to be a clear and consistent message from the government to the public - any potential incident like this, they will now err on the side of protecting the public, acting immediately to prevent further loss of life.

When he was doing those burnouts and carrying on, if they knew it was him, they should've rammed or shot him then.

The death and injury toll from this is horrific - next time, it could be a terror attack, and a lot worse.

We're fortunate we're relatively shielded from it here - but you've got Monis and this *******; not strictly terrorists, but carrying out terrorist acts - both could've been taken down earlier if the will to do so was there.

Forget about talking them down and trying to find a peaceful resolution - if they're endangering the public, proactive action needs to become the norm.

It's a different world today, the touchy feely police approach is no longer fit for the task.

Reports are coming out that he'll be suspended for his unlawful actions. Also, the young guy hitting the car with a baseball bat has been charged with battery. Also reports that police pursuing had numerous chances to ram and were denied by higher ranked officers. This political correctness is doing my head in.

The guy who had a crack wth the bat should be given a medal.

Nah. There are a lot of situations where doing what that guy did isn't exactly going to be helpful.

I don't really support him being charged, but you tread a dangerous path once you okay too much citizen arrest type stuff. Because for every person who might legitimately act in good faith and help, you'll also get your more sinister vigilante types come out of the woodwork and emboldening them and their mentality is a very bad idea.

Can someone let me know what sort of qualifications the government considers when assessing an application to be a bail justice? For those unaware, it is a voluntary role.

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/utility/volunteering/bail+justice+position+description

I really wish the media would stop publishing stuff about accused offenders' background before the matter even gets to Court.

In this day and age, such stuff sticks around on the Internet indefinitely, which is completely inappropriate down the track if the matter goes to trial.

No, it was bloody reckless and useless.

I'm curious as to why he was carrying a bat in the first place.

Also, the young guy hitting the car with a baseball bat has been charged with battery.

Given that there is no such offence in Victoria, he should be fine. Maybe the "reports" should get that part right first.

Last edited:
Reports are coming out that he'll be suspended for his unlawful actions.
I wonder what was unlawful about it? He was arresting a perpetrator who was dare say resisting.

Is it any wonder that police do nothing in high pressure situations when things like the above are focused upon and get attention?

http://www.justice.vic.gov.au/utility/volunteering/bail+justice+position+description

I really wish the media would stop publishing stuff about accused offenders' background before the matter even gets to Court.

In this day and age, such stuff sticks around on the Internet indefinitely, which is completely inappropriate down the track if the matter goes to trial.

Given that there is no such offence in Victoria, he should be fine. Maybe the "reports" should get that part right first.

That's the page I read which prima facie indicates a pretty low threshold. I would be interested to know how people are tested on the 'knowledge and skills' criteria.

In WA all you'd have is a bunch of black fellas who are banged up for nicking some groceries, or unpaid fines on the chain gang though, which wouldn't be a great look.

I'll ignore your prejudice comment but work camps (humane and modern) are a much better solution than prisons.

All people need a purpose

So you prefer the current system because it's working so well? Drug ****ed nut cases getting out on bail and then killing 4 people and injuring dozens more?

Get a grip. This isn't even a yearly occurance let alone a regular problem.

I can't help but think this would not have happened if the judicial system didn't release him on bail.

Perhaps a condition of bail, medical health assessments of drugs and mental health needs greater influence.

The police seemed a little beaten when they emphasised he was well known to them, along with the mental health and drugs.

Get a grip. This isn't even a yearly occurance let alone a regular problem.

Actually it is. Maybe not the same details but the story line is all too familiar.

Wtf; how is a bail justice a real thing?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, parolees killing 5 people and injuring dozens really isn't common.

That's the detail

But domestic violence, theft, wreckless and needless violence is common. So to is the theme of mental health and drug abuse

Last edited:

The police member that rammed that car was suspended from work and charged criminally. Is it any wonder why they dont do it? Why would they want to risk their job when they obviously dont get any support from command. Im sure they would love to be able to stop these idiots if they had the choice

Wtf; how is a bail justice a real thing?!

People get arrested all over the state at all hours of the day, so bail justices need to be constantly on call.

I presume the government prefers not to pay people, particularly expensive Magistrates, to spend a lot of their time sitting around waiting for a call.

It may also be something which hasn't really caught up to modern technology, with the wide availability of video links.

People get arrested all over the state at all hours of the day, so bail justices need to be constantly on call.

I presume the government prefers not to pay people, particularly expensive Magistrates, to spend a lot of their time sitting around waiting for a call.

It may also be something which hasn't really caught up to modern technology, with the wide availability of video links.

Comes back to qualifications but at the same time Magistrates make bad decisions too.

Errr.. SWAT teams don't use baseball bats dude. Besides, SWAT is an American concept. We should be using cricket bats.

Obviously, but what else would you call a pack of clowns running around dressed in black taking the law into their own hands and putting themselves and everyone else in danger?

Sad situation all round. Seems like he became schitzophrenic from ice use. Probably has mates who could see this sort of s**t on the horizon but kept quiet.

I was in the CBD today and went to pay respects. A small crowd (there was still room to move) gathered around, camera crews too. One woman was I think either recording or facetiming, could see her talking into mic while panning around. Good to see most people however staying off their phones. In the brief period of time I saw 2 people take selfies, minority taking photos of the flowers etc.

Left phone at home, not deliberately, but felt liberate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back