Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY, Aylesbury United, St Pauli
2bIhV7.jpg
vs
VbcxHP.jpg

THE GAME: The Gabba, Sunday, July 1, 3.15pm

MEDIA

TV: 7 (live in Victoria, WA) 7mate (live in all areas of NSW, Queensland, ACT) Southern Cross (live in Tas, NT), Fox Sports 1 (live)

RADIO: SEN, ABC, NIRS, Triple M

Ladder position

Melbourne: 16th
Brisbane: 13th

THE BETTING: Melbourne $4.10 Brisbane $1.25

LAST TIME: Brisbane Lions 17.17 (119) d Melbourne 11.12 (78), round 1, 2012, at the MCG

GENERAL INFO:

A little over three months ago, it all started with the Brisbane Lions at the end of a long, hot summer. It was a time full of hope and a measure of confidence. Albeit misguided, given what we know now about the situation we faced at that stage. There was so much about the club that was new and the pre season, while not inspirational, had produced some flashes that gave rise to some inspiration. To be sure, a handful of key personnel were missing the opening game of the season, but this was Brisbane and it was our home soil.

We had our moments in the first half before capitulating in the second. To the surprise of many - but again, it shouldn't have been such a shocking discovery I think - it was the visiting Lions who dominated the midfield and ran us off our feet in the hot conditions.

That run stretched and extended itself in many directions over the ensuing two months with defeat after defeat, some of them crushings that left officials, players and supporters totally numbed and with no respite in sight.

But all the same, progress continued in all areas of the game for us.

And that progression became apparent for all to see with an extraordinary triumph on a drizzly Saturday night against Essendon, then one of the premiership favourites. It was a moment of pure pride and sweet vindication for all of us, but none more so than for Neeldy, of course. We are on the right track, and that game proved it.

This was reinforced by our competitive and creditable showing against Collingwood, and especially when we thrashed the franchise last Sunday at the MCG.

There will be no finals glory this year, obviously, but the coming ten weeks provide real opportunities for us, with a good number of winnable games to come, as we seek to build towards a stronger showing over the course of next year. This period also opens up a chance for the introduction of new faces from the ranks of those going around at Casey, and there will be farewells to old warriors.

Those with keen eyes for the game will watch closely to observe the development of Neeld's game plan and whether it's sinking in on the playing group. Others will be hoping the players stay healthy so that they can start the 2013 campaign on a good footing while others still will be keeping a watchful eye on the youngsters coming through junior ranks in the hope that their club can snaffle a future star later in the year.

It's clear that the focus will not be entirely where we all hoped it would be at this stage of the season when the Demons ran onto the field against the Brisbane Lions in March. We couldn't have known then that by the time the teams were due to meet again this Sunday in Brisbane, that the team's leading goalkicker for this season would be out of action for the year, that his counterpart from last year would not yet have played a full game or kicked even one goal and the one from the year before would also spend most of the season on the sidelines with a combination of injury and form worries.

But few of us would have expected someone like Colin Garland to be performing as he is now up in the forward line either. And Howe continues to improve in his role there too. Both have a chance to make a big statement today. So does Stefan Martin, who returns to the team after noteworthy efforts up forward for Casey in recent weeks.

GAME SPECIFICS:

Mitch Clark's injury has obviously changed our perspective on this game. That and the fact that the Lions have discovered a rich vein of form and some fans up here are even thinking about a chance of finals football. A win for the Lions would put them on six wins and level with Carlton.

Both our teams are on a strong upward curve and both have recently beaten genuine premiership contenders rather than sham ones like Carlton. Brisbane’s form against West Coast certainly shocked the football world, and their followup victory against the Western Bulldogs at Etihad showed it was no fluke either. They have few injuries and their midfield of Black, Rich, Redden and Rockliff continues to be its dominant line.

But of course, our midfield have also improved in intensity and workrate, which were virtually nonexistent after half time when the teams last met.

KEY POINTS

MELBOURNE

1. The loss of Mitch Clark obviously changes the way this game will be played. Not only was he kicking goals and taking contested marks, he was providing ruck relief. So the team structure will be different because of this, with Stef Martin coming in and presumably taking up this role.

2. Switching defenders Col Garland and Jared Rivers forward has worked so far. It's important they separate the Lions defenders so they can't zone off and add extra numbers to each marking contest. James Magner's defensive pressure is proving important at ground level and the Demons recorded 20 tackles inside 50 last week.

3. The Demons were a different unit in round one, in attitude and personnel, and the result was disappointing. Colin Sylvia was injured in round one but he showed what he is capable of last week. He adds an explosive element in midfield.

4. The Demons' backline is strong and growing stronger, but will certainly be tested today. Jonathan Brown didn't play last time, but Rockliff stood tall, and his good form has continued while Brown plays with presence. Obviously we don't have the most experience amongst our players down there, but the organisation and structure is improving all the time.

BRISBANE

1. The noticeable improvement against the Bulldogs was the Lions' disposal efficiency. Jack Redden, Pearce Hanley, Simon Black and Mitch Golby all had more than 20 possessions at better than 85 per cent efficiency. Throw in another nine players over 70 per cent and you've got a much cleaner and crisper team than the first half of 2012.

2. Slowly but surely the midfield is relying less on Brownlow medallist Black. They won without him against West Coast, and with the champion on-baller still copping the tightest of Liam Picken tags against the Bulldogs, Tom Rockliff, Redden and Dayne Zorko ran riot. Black's contribution was significant, but his midfield mates are now consistently providing a helping hand.

3. It's not a case of teaching old dogs new tricks, but more of putting them back in their original homes. Daniel Merrett and Ash McGrath came to the club as forwards but after distinguished careers in the backline, again find themselves kicking goals. Voss has persisted with Merrett at full forward and the vice-captain has responded with 20 goals this season, while McGrath joined the party against the Dogs, finishing one shy of his career-best with five goals.

4. Aside from trying to win back-to-back matches for the first time this season, a victory on Sunday could launch an exciting final nine rounds for the Lions. They follow the Demons with matches against the Sydney Swans (away), St Kilda (home) and Gold Coast (away). Repeating the performance against the Bulldogs over the coming month certainly gives the Lions hope of improving from their 13th place on the ladder.

Final teams for Round 14:

Melbourne

B: Tom McDonald, James Frawley, Jared Rivers
HB: Daniel Nicholson, Jack Watts, Jack Grimes
C: James Magner, Jordie McKenzie, Joel Macdonald
HF: Jack Trengove, James Sellar, Nathan Jones
F: Jeremy Howe, Colin Garland, Luke Tapscott
Foll: Mark Jamar, Brent Moloney, Colin Sylvia
I/C (from): Matthew Bate, Lynden Dunn, Stefan Martin, Jake Spencer, Sam Blease, Jamie Bennell, Rohan Bail

In: Stefan Martin, Jake Spencer, Jamie Bennell, Rohan Bail, Luke Tapscott
Out: Aaron Davey (hamstring), Mitchell Clark (foot)

Brisbane Lions

B: Josh Drummond, Joel Patfull, Ryan Harwood
HB: Mitchell Golby, Niall McKeever, Jed Adcock
C: Ryan Lester, Daniel Rich, Pearce Hanley
HF: Simon Black, Jonathan Brown, Dayne Zorko
F: James Polkinghorne, Daniel Merrett, Ashley McGrath
Foll: Ben Hudson, Tom Rockliff, Andrew Raines
I/C (from): Jack Redden, Jared Polec, Patrick Karnezis, Joshua Green, Rohan Bewick, Elliot Yeo, Jack Crisp

In: Jared Polec, Patrick Karnezis, Elliot Yeo, Jack Crisp
Out: Matt Maguire (elbow)

From Chief:​
Video Streams

International viewers can get live video of games from http://www.afl.livesport.tv/.

Local viewers can see games on Foxtel or via XBox or T-Box.

Please do not post in this thread asking for links to streams. Your account will be suspended for a day.

Head-to-head

Played: 20
Melbourne: 9
Brisbane Lions: 11
Drawn: 0

At this ground

Played: 12
Melbourne: 4
Brisbane Lions: 8
Drawn: 0

Recent streak

Melbourne has won four of the past six against the Lions.

Memorable match

Grand final: Melbourne 4.10 (34) d Fitzroy 3.12 (30), East Melbourne

The Demons won their first ever VFL/AFL flag against the Roys in 1900 (he says through clenched teeth ;) ). The game was played at the East Melbourne Cricket Ground (later taken over as the Jolimont Railyards), and Melbourne was victorious by just four points. Stars of the day included captain and MCC identity Dick Wardill, the ruck combination of George Moodie and Vic Cumberland, and Tasmanian star and multiple winner of ‘Champion of the Colony’ honours, Fred McGinis.

Milestones

Melbourne: Jordie McKenzie (50 AFL matches), Jack Trengove (50 AFL matches)

Coaching record

Mark Neeld: 12 matches, 2 win, 0 draws, 10 losses
Michael Voss: 80 matches, 30 wins, 1 draws, 49 losses

Injury list

Melbourne: Rohan Bail (concussion) - test, Clint Bartram (knee) - season, Mitch Clark (foot) - season, Michael Evans (back) - 2-4 weeks, Max Gawn (knee) - season, Brad Green (hip) - 2-3 week, Neville Jetta (ankle) - test, Liam Jurrah (ankle) - 2-4 weeks, Rory Taggert (back) - indefinite

Brisbane Lions: Brad Harvey (ankle) - season, Matthew Leuenberger (achilles) - indefinite, Matt Maguire (elbow) - 4 weeks, Bryce Retzlaff (knee) - season, Brent Staker (knee) - season

Players to watch

Melbourne: Jack Trengove

The co-captain plays his 50th AFL match against the Lions this round - a fine effort in just his third season. Although it has been a tough initiation for the game’s youngest ever skipper, he is continuing to build on his leadership and game, and remains one of the club’s most integral players for the long term.

Brisbane Lions: Tom Rockliff

Rockliff shone in his side’s opening round win against Melbourne at the MCG, booting three goals and collecting 23 disposals. Last round against Western Bulldogs, he notched up a career best 40 touches and booted two goals in an outstanding win for the Lions.

Match-up to watch

James Frawley v Jonathan Brown

Brown didn’t play against the Demons last time around, due to injury, but expect the superstar skipper to be picked up by 2010 All-Australian defender James Frawley. Brown has booted 19 goals this season from 10 matches. This contest should be a beauty to watch.

Most disposals

Melbourne: Nathan Jones (292)
Brisbane Lions: Tom Rockliff (326)

Most marks

Melbourne: Jeremy Howe (70)
Brisbane Lions: Jonathan Brown (80)

Most tackles

Melbourne: Jordie McKenzie (71)
Brisbane Lions: Jack Redden (75)

Most goals

Melbourne: Mitch Clark (29)
Brisbane Lions: Daniel Merrett (20)

Summary

Melbourne recorded its second win of the season last round - an emphatic 78-point win over Greater Western Sydney at the MCG. It was the continuation of a good month for the Demons, after they achieved their first win of the season against Essendon in round 10. The Dees also produced a reasonable display against competition leaders Collingwood, after a slow start.

The challenge now will be to back up against the Lions on the road. The Lions won’t be a pushover. In fact, they are in fine form on the back of a comprehensive win over the Bulldogs. They are arguably in better form than when they ran over the Demons with a stunning 10 goal to four second half in round one. It will be another challenge in Melbourne’s development and one worth watching.

Posting up the full quotes from various people around the club this week again, as well as the original preview...

Quotes from Jade Rawlings:

“Round one was tough. I’ve still got a lot of friendships up there (in Brisbane) with staff and players and I watch them every week, unless we play at the same time. I really love watching the group play and seeing how they’re progressing.

“Clearly, my vested interest and passion is with Melbourne, but I’ve got such close ties with people at Brisbane that I’ve watched them from afar and keep in contact with them.

“I love the Gabba as a venue and a twilight game at 3.15 pm is ideal with the weather in the middle of winter - it’ll be perfect. They’re playing as well as they’ve played over the last few years, so I’m genuinely looking forward to the game on Sunday.

“But we’re really going up there for business, and that’s the mindset with our group, particularly after our last trip to Sydney was poor. This is a great opportunity to travel and perform much better.

“When I left Richmond, it was different, because a lot of the personnel and staff had changed. It was a different footy club. Whereas with Brisbane, there are a couple of slight changes and it’s pretty much how I left it.

“As a player, I had 10 years at Hawthorn, so from afar, when I get the arse from footy and I’m just a spectator, I’d imagine [I’d support Hawthorn]. Most of my long-term friendships have come out of Hawthorn. I’ve got life-long friendships out of all of them - Brisbane being the most recent one, although it’s difficult to keep in touch, due to being interstate.

“All of my energy and focus is about Melbourne, because once you’re in it - people still think you might support someone else, but it’s not even a consideration. The more you go into battle with the players and your workmates and staff - the more you become attached. I have a three-year deal at Melbourne and I intend on being here beyond that, because I really want to help build what we’re starting and see the progression of what we’re all after.

“It’s hard to say if I have a genuine affinity [with one particular club] because my vested interest is here at Melbourne. Once it gets to a point where you read an article in a paper and get offended by it and it’s an attack on your footy club - that’s when [you feel you’re a part of it].”

“You give so much to the players over the summer and once you go into battle - you’re impacted by the results. To lose the way we did a few times means that you become very angry and you feel a part of it. Then, when you’re winning, it’s a bloody great release. But it happens a lot quicker than what people actually think.”

“Each club is similar and all trying to achieve the same thing. But there are subtle differences in strategy. The core of footy clubs is made up of great people, who are passionate.

“I’ve been through a fair bit of turmoil. At Richmond, we had multiple sagas and at Brisbane we had a bad patch there in 2010, and then there’s what we’ve been through in the first eight weeks at Melbourne. So it’s been interesting to see how it’s been handled each time.

“The interesting thing at Melbourne is that people say ‘you need to stick together’. And Melbourne has stuck together - it’s had good leadership from our president, board, CEO, coach and footy manager. We’d like to think as coaches we’ve supported Neeldy, and the players feed off us.

“You speak to any player or coach and there are more down times than good, but if you can work through the down, it makes the good so much better. I absolutely love it. I feel as though I’ve got the best job in the country. You get to work with this backline and the leadership group, which is another part of my role, and I get to work with other assistant coaches and the senior coach, who have become some of my closest friends.

“I love coaching the backline and that’s what I feel most passionate about. I love seeing progress and individuals develop and evolve, and I feel as though our group is starting to make some inroads.

“I couldn’t be any happier with the job that I have. I just want to get to the point where these guys run their own backline and I’m just the backseat passenger, who facilitates and steers the ship occasionally - that’s what I want to build up.

“The opportunity that I had in 2009 was so good. I really enjoyed it. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I don’t need to push myself out there or pursue it actively. I’m far more patient about it now. If it happens, I feel as though I’m in a position that I’m improving and learning from good people in a good environment, which enables me to be in a good position.

“The experience you gather over time, I find it’s invaluable. Coaching is about experiences. And if you can empathise with players, because you’ve been through something similar, then you have an awareness of what they’re going through. It’s the same as a coach. You can have some good experiences and some bad ones - but it’s all about how you come out of it on the other side.”

Quotes from Mark Neeld:

"The report that I got is that Mitch Clark is expecting a full recovery and he is right for day one of pre-season.

"We just want someone to come in and understand the role that we want them to play, so one of Martin or Cook or Frawley or Jack Watts could go down there.

“I, along with the rest of the coaching group, need to be confident that we know as much about our current playing list as we possibly can.

“A part of that may well be asking them to play in different roles. It’s not as if we’re throwing the magnets up and playing them wherever they land.

“Jared Rivers and Col Garland are a case in point. They are both very competitive players and good one-on-one and they’re competitive and competent in the air. They’ve got the capabilities to play forward, and Riv also showed on the weekend that his conversion rate is good.

“We’ve been really pleased with the manner in which those boys have grabbed their opportunity and James Sellar also went back and Jack Watts has gone back for a little while, so that enables us to do that.

“The minute that one of the boys shows that they can’t play their new role, it changes a whole heap of things. It's about people coming in and playing their role and perhaps a different role.

"Also, we feel we play better footy with two tall target forwards and we'll try to get the best mix to make sure that we play that way.

“We know that Jack (Trengove) works exceptionally hard in all parts of his game. We expect continued improvement, both on the field and continued development of his captaincy.

“Brisbane are in better form than what they were in round one. They’ve had a really good couple of weeks. They’ve beaten West Coast and they played really well against the Bulldogs on the weekend.

“There are certain elements of their game that they’ve changed and there are certain elements that they’ve improved.”

Quotes from Jordie McKenzie:

“It doesn’t seem long ago that I was playing my first game. To notch up 50 is a nice little milestone. It feels like yesterday [that I made my debut]. It’s nearly four years and it flies. It’s been a great journey so far.

“We haven’t had as much success as we’ve been striving for, but we’re all working hard and hopefully, in the next 50 games, there will be a lot more success.

“I’ve been lucky enough to run with [Chris] Judd at one stage and Ryan Griffen and Brendon Goddard … they’ve all been challenging roles and they’re different types of players in their own right too. You’ve got to adapt to their game style and try and restrict them to the best of your ability. So there are challenges each week being thrown up.

“Growing up, I was a West Coast supporter and looked up to Chris Judd, so to be able to play against him - let alone on him - you really pinch yourself.

“Unfortunately, I didn’t make much progress over the pre-season - it was fairly interrupted and I didn’t fire a shot in pre-season, which is disappointing, because I wanted to build on my fitness. But I’ve been lucky that I’ve been able to string a few games together and build on the fitness as the season has gone on. That’s been a positive.

“Getting some continuity with my training and playing has helped a few areas in my game, so I feel as though I’m improving - I’ve got a long way to go. I’m looking forward to what the future holds.

“Melbourne was good enough to give me an opportunity on the rookie list, and I didn’t think I’d done enough in junior footy to get selected. For Melbourne to give me an opportunity on the rookie list and stick by me - I was always keen to try and repay their faith, so that’s what I’m still trying to do.

“I was always keen to stay with Melbourne and hopefully I’ll stay with Melbourne for years to come. I never really spoke to Craigy or anything about that type of thing.

“I’m good mates with Grimesy and big Pencil, Jake Spencer, so I’ve been close with those guys from when I first came here. Rohan Bail got drafted in the same year and you form great relationships with these types of guys. I live with Jeremy Howe, and you find that when you get drafted in the same year, you do get on well with everyone, but then you form a special relationship with those guys. No doubt, I’m pretty close to them, and will be for a long time.

“Just looking forward, the goals are to improve a lot and have a lot more success. Over the last few years we’ve had a few good wins, but we haven’t strung consistent performances together or enough to challenge the top eight. We’ve got a long way to go as a group, but we’re working really hard and no doubt in the next period of time, we’re looking to turn it around and string consistent performances together - and we’ll see that on the scoreboard, hopefully.”

SUMMARY:

Three weeks ago this game looked like it would be all too predictable, but the tide is turning for both the Lions and us since upsetting premiership contenders West Coast and Essendon respectively in round 10. The Lions are coming off a strong win against the Western Bulldogs, while of course we thumped GW$ by 78 points. Mitch's injury sets us back somewhat, but we still definitely have a chance, and whoever wins can make it three from four and take some genuine momentum into the second half of the season.

Two particularly noteworthy elements for us recently, amongst many, have been our improved ball-use, with disposal efficiency continuing to improve from week to week, and the performances of Garland and Rivers up forward. Their finishing was much improved against the franchise as well, kicking three and four goals respectively last week, alongside Howe, who continues to provide a very strong target, although he still clearly needs to improve from set shots. Another big factor has been the massive intensity and workrate provided by Sellar in defence, and he continues on in similar fashion.

And Watts continues to be enormously influential of course, with his disposal being vital to virtually every attack we launch from the backline. His work in the contest improves with each passing week as well, and he underlined that fact with three good contested marks last Sunday. He was arguably best on ground again too, the second time I've been able to say that this month.

Jonah will be vital in midfield again, that goes without saying, and as always, there's no-one better for us either in contested ball or clearance work. He's obviously a big part of why we've improved as much as we have in both areas. And of course, Frawley down back continues to reinforce why he won All-Australian selection when he did.

Two players in particular who stepped up last week were Bate and Dunn. Bate won a lot of the ball and delivered with good quality, particularly inside 50, and Dunn showed plenty down back in that regard as well, particularly when he took on kick-in duties at times, with that torpedo standing out enormously, of course. His tackling and willingness in the contest was very much in evidence throughout, and it seems like perhaps he's found a consistent niche for himself in the team now.

And our contested marking, already close to the best in the league, continues to improve even further.

But if we're going to challenge in this match, we certainly need more from Moloney. His overall effort last time out was a fair way below par and much less than we would have expected from him against that opposition. He'll need to lift his game again substantially.

Also very significant is the fact that Stefan Martin is likely to return to fill the gap left by Mitch's injury this week. Chances are he'll go into the forward line alongside Garland and Howe, as Riv's been selected to go back into defence. Stef's been very good up forward for Casey in the last couple of weeks as well.

One way or another, we're certainly facing up against a capable opposition in form here.

I was stunned by the quality of their performance against the Bulldogs, especially away from home, although they didn't achieve many more shots on goal, which suggests that a big part of that result comes from the Dogs' obvious deficiencies up forward, as against somewhat better forward options within the Brisbane lineup.

Shutting down Brown, McGrath and Merrett will be crucial, as will the overall midfield battle, and with Simon Black plus the three Rs (Redden, Rockliff and Rich), their midfield division looks a bit more imposing than ours right now.

We can close that gap with the kind of workrate and intensity we've shown in recent weeks. We demonstrated that against Essendon. And we can obviously expect to have the advantage in the ruck, with the Russky going against Hudson, so if we can convert that edge into clearances and a high level of delivery inside 50, that will go a long way to securing us the win too.

It certainly helps, at least psychologically, that we were able to ensure such enormous supply up forward as we did against the franchise, with an amazing 74 inside-50s on the day.

We'll certainly miss Mitch up forward, but if Garland can convert the way he did last week, Stef can carry on his form with Casey and Howe can improve his finishing a bit (assuming they all play in the forward line) we can make up for that.

ANALYSIS:

Our playing group displayed great emotion when they put Franchise Two to the sword last week.

While the board, the football department and the players have perhaps moved on from the departure at the end of 2011 of $€U₤₤¥, a mercenary immoral character who not only jumped ship for the money, but also acted dishonestly and disrepectfully to the club in the way he and his connections dealt with his departure, he will never be let off the hook by us for what he did, and he'll face the music from us over and over again. As was the case in resounding fashion last week.

Like most of the franchise team, $€U₤₤¥ started well enough. He was collecting plenty of well-deserved boos with every possession in the game's first 25 minutes as they scored five of the game's first eight goals, but then the wheels swiftly fell off for them as we went in for the kill. By game's end, they were no longer Giants and more in the nature of short people in the presence of a superior opposition.

It was hard to believe that this was the same team that went to Geelong and stayed with the reigning premiers or was in with a chance late in the game last week against Richmond. For that matter, it's obscene and ridiculous that one of their number is cashing in to the tune of $2 million for this season alone.

From the 25-minute mark of the first term until the siren sounded to end the third quarter, we outscored the franchise by 15.8 to 1.1.

Money can't buy what that scoreline meant to those of us who collectively make up the Melbourne Football Club. It could only happen with emotion, with integrity, with hard work and with some healthy improvement in every facet of the club over recent weeks.

The hero of the early part of the game was Mitch, who was absolutely superb with four first goals before he came off with a foot injury and a knock to the head. At one stage, it would not have been unreasonable to expect him to finish with double figures. His departure allowed others to take over as forward targets, notably Riv and Garland who finished with four and three goals respectively (although the former was already in the goals by the time Mitch left the field).

Multiple goalkickers are often the heroes but it was another Demon who has stood up consistently as a beacon among his teammates, that being Jonah, who ran all day to pick up 34 disposals and who led the way all day. So too did the Russky in the ruck against Brogan and Giles.

Speaking of unsung heroes, Bater's been in no man's land for the past few years, but he was superb last week, amassing 27 touches, seven marks and a super goal.

Then there was the magnificent work of Watts, who was best on ground for the second time in three weeks, plus the strong performances put up by co-captains Grimey and Trenners, along with Chip Frawley, and Colin Sylvia had his best game in a long while too. All of them turned it on and showed their worth and the fact that they were deserving of their early draft slots.

Jordie McKenzie also deserves substantial credit for snuffing out $€U₤₤¥'s early start and putting him out of the game. Similarly, Tom McDonald took the other franchise number one pick. Jonathon Patton, to the cleaners in a true break-out performance in defence.

The game could well turn out to be a turning point for us and it was only fitting that former skipper James McDonald was on hand to watch his old club take its first steps towards future greatness.

Obviously it's been a while since the Demons had such a convincing victory but I suspect there will be many more against plastic franchised abominations built on dollars yet lacking in the emotional aspects of the game that money can't buy, a principle no better exemplified than by the emotionless robot who got paid more than anyone else on the day.

It's fitting that a test-tube obscenity - Franchise Two, that is - forced by the AFL on people who don't want it (just like Franchise One), should be thumped by the club who invented this sport.

It sends a strong message about the evil of franchising & the disastrous nature of both experiments. We don't want franchising, out-of-control salaries, free agency etc. We don't want our league Americanised.

Franchises such as GW$ and GC$ don't belong in this game, and they never will.

Statistical rundown:

Contested possession count - 179-142. Our size and experience saw us completely dominate in midfield, as expected. Jonah - of course - and Tom McDonald were the outstanding performers in this area, and Jordie, Dunn and Bate also did great work in winning plenty of ball in the contest themselves. Riv, Sylvia, Watts and Davey were just as good. Jack once again making the idiots who think he's somehow not good in contested situations look like... idiots.

Hitouts - 47-28. The Russky ruled the roost in this game against Brogan and Giles, having one of his best games of the year so far, with 35 hitouts, and he was very strong around the ground too. Intriguingly, Sylvia somehow managed 6 hitouts during this match as well :eek:

Clearances - 36, up from 33 last week. Obviously we weren't exactly up against a noteworthy opposition here, but we continue to improve our effort in this regard from week to week, and that upward trajectory carried on here.

Jonah led the way here too, followed closely by Jordie, and Moloney, Grimes and the Russky were the strongest contributors here otherwise.

Contested marks - 24-13. That's a new landmark achievement for us in this facet of the game. Best we've done yet. Mitch took two good ones before his agonisingly frustrating injury, but Riv shone out the most, with 4 quality efforts inside 50. And he slotted all four set shots from these. Jack was the best otherwise, showing plenty of strength on the day with his three, and Dunn, the Russky, Frawley and Garland also did great work here.

Disposal efficiency - 74% for us, 71% for them. Again, our ball-use continues to improve, and we did a good job of forcing errors from them as well. Turnovers were a worry during the first term, but after that we were as good with our disposal as we've been all year, by some margin. And our run and spread throughout the day was as good as it's been too, I would say.

Total possession count - 409-357. We've not dominated possession to this degree against any other team this year until now. And it was a product of that improving ball-use, together with our similarly improving run and pressure around the ground, which achieved it.

Inside 50s - 74-32. Again, a real landmark achievement here. Granted, this was, and it bears stating again, pretty mediocre opposition, but still a dramatic indication of how far we've come since the end of last year. When we played the other abominable franchise in Round 23 last season, we managed 55 inside 50s to their 51. And they're certainly no better a level of opponent than this team was.

Our service to our forwards was fantastic, we did a great job of getting the ball in there, and as a result we also took more marks inside 50 (17) than we have in any other game since Neeldy took over, as far as I'm aware. The franchise only managed 7 for the entire day.

Watts was brilliant again as a creator starting off our attacks out of the backline, and he also went up the ground at stages and did good work there, with 4 inside 50s directly from him.

But what's especially noteworthy here is the great work Tom McDonald, and Dunn, and Bate, were able to do together with Jack in rebounding the ball outside defensive 50. All four contributed equally in this regard. And if we can see that happening more regularly over the rest of the year, with all four using the ball so well out of the backline, this will bring the quality of our attack up to another level.

Sylvia was a real standout performer as far as his service in to the forward line goes. He managed 10 inside 50s in this match, the vast majority of which resulted in goals.

Bate was as good as he's been delivering the ball inside the arc too, achieving 7, followed closely by Jonah with 6, another strong contribution, as you'd expect from him at this point. Obviously the way we dominated this game, and particularly in this area of the game, means we had many noteworthy efforts from amongst the playing group here - Grimes and Moloney being the best of the rest, followed closely by Howe.

Tackle count - 65-66. Our intensity, workrate and pressure was strong all over the ground, and it showed. But obviously when you've got a substantial majority of the ball and using it substantially better than your opponents, they're going to find themselves having to tackle far more. The fact that even with the imbalance in possession, our tackle count was as high as this, reflects how hard we worked throughout the match.

Most noteworthy here was our forward pressure. 20 tackles inside the arc. Another real landmark effort.

Again, time constraints mean I can't do a full player rundown this time either, although it wouldn't tell us quite as much this week anyway, I think. I'm planning to bring this back next week though.

PREDICTION:

Losing Mitch hurts us going into this match, there's no way it wouldn't. But we have to remember that we won last week without him for the majority of the game, and we beat Essendon with only one goal from him that night.

With strong targets up forward like Garland, Stef Martin and Howe, we can make up for this, especially if we deliver the same intensity, workrate, and quality of ball-use that we did last week, and against the Bombers.

With Rockliff, Redden, and Rich alongside Simon Black, Brisbane have a good and improving midfield and like us, they'll have plenty of confidence after their win over the Bulldogs. On paper, it's obvious their midfield division looks significantly better than ours as it is right now, but as I say, we can close the gap with superior endeavour, just as we did against Essendon, and we were definitely up against a quality midfield there, that goes without saying.

Our defensive organisation and the one-on-one contests down back will be especially important in this game, with Frawley against Brown being the biggest of them.

Calling it for Brisbane by 12. But it could easily be very different.

About to head out and won't be back until some time after the game's over. Hopefully we'll have something to celebrate then!

For anyone from our crew who makes it to the game and maybe wants to track me down, I should be behind the goals near the cheer squad, with some big shakers with me, as long as I can get them through the gates at the Gabba unscathed. But even if I don't get those through, I'm pretty sure I'll stand out anyway, because I'm always the loudest one in that section ;)

Fixed it now :D

Yeah mate, comes from posting it through while I was waking up this morning. Used the template from last week's one to add the content into, but wasn't quite awake enough to remember to change that date
RuTaB.gif

NIIez.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was Blease even dropped?

I don't like the idea of Sellar starting forward, he's found a place down back.

I hope we give a 4 quarter performance, nothing is impossible.

Jones, Clark, Jamar and Davey all out from last weeks team

dear god.

If we win this it will be an unbelievable boost for the club. (Eagles in perth in 1998 anyone?)

Given that Spencer was an emergency from Thursday I'd say Jamar was always in doubt.

Jones, I don't know.

Just heard on SEN that both of them were in doubt since thursday but Jones was more likely to get up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back