Mental Illness - lets help smash the stigma

Remove this Banner Ad

There's really no men or women when it comes to this thing.
Once depression (an assumption re Tuck) takes hold, it's not an easy one to shake off.

A little bid sad tonight as every time one of these situations surfaces, it's a reminder of just how many others are in the same place. Too many.

Nothing we can say about Tuck here will make a difference, other than that he did place a stamp on life, even if only through a silly little sport.
Good on you Shane.
Especially men, it's FAR higher in them along with suicide.

Very sad news re Tuck, got to feel for the family, no parents should ever have to bury their child. Poor kids and wife also, heartbreaking

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Through all of it, you always need to remember that you are not alone. In this time in which we cannot go outside, to work, to the shops; we cannot get a coffee, we cannot socialize, we cannot do as we would normally do, it is now that it is at its most important.

You are not alone. We are all here, and even if you think it's stupid or silly or you don't want to talk, we're more than happy just to share the silence.

Through all of it, you always need to remember that you are not alone. In this time in which we cannot go outside, to work, to the shops; we cannot get a coffee, we cannot socialize, we cannot do as we would normally do, it is now that it is at its most important.

You are not alone. We are all here, and even if you think it's stupid or silly or you don't want to talk, we're more than happy just to share the silence.
Beautifully said.

I honestly believe it's up to Men to try open up their feelings and emotions, esp to their other best (male) friends.. For some reason, speaking as a middle aged (40 year old dude), there is a lot of things we feel more open and comfortable about talking than to our spouses, but for some reason, emotion and emotional vulnerability is not one of them, which seems a bit silly when you think about it

I can see why there is a campaign to get rid of toxic masculinity , but i wouldn't have phrased it in such inflammatory terms, more like Stubborn Masculine Insensitivity.

There has been a problem created with this concept of toxic masculinity. It tends to push the responsibility for the bad behaviour of some men onto the whole male population generally. There are men who are guilty of terrible behaviours, but there are many more who aren't. I'd hate to be a young male growing up in this environment. I've seen it causing a bit of mental anguish in some cases.

Even what you have described doesn't apply to everyone. There are insensitive males but there's also insensitive females, stubborness isn't a gender thing either, let's try addressing the problems that exist with badly behaved people in general rather than trying to lay the blame on one group or another.

Getting back to the Tuck situation though it really happens too much, men taking their lives like this and in a lot of cases nobody having a clue of what they're going through. You blame alpha males but I'd say it is them that are probably most prone to suffering this fate due to unrealistic expectations that they are trying to live up to (sometimes self-imposed), not wanting to appear 'weak' etc. Those who are more in tune with their feelings are more likely to talk about it and seek some help. They, IMO, are the 'stronger' ones. The ones who present the tough exterior are usually only papering over their own insecurities.

The thing is at the end of the day, all of us, male or female, need to look after each other, none of us has all the answers on our own. Someone willing to just listen, who won't judge or tell you how silly you are being can sometimes make all the difference in the world.

Last edited:
There has been a problem created with this concept of toxic masculinity. It tends to push the responsibility for the bad behaviour of some men onto the whole male population generally. There are men who are guilty of terrible behaviours, but there are many more who aren't. I'd hate to be a young male growing up in this environment. I've seen it causing a bit of mental anguish in some cases.

Even what you have described doesn't apply to everyone. There are insensitive males but there's also insensitive females, stubborness isn't a gender thing either, let's try addressing the problems that exist with badly behaved people in general rather than trying to lay the blame on one group or another.
100% myth. How far back in the conversation are you, gab?

100% myth. How far back in the conversation are you, gab?

I'm sorry Thy, what do you mean, how far back? I don't feel that's total myth either, I see it in some young males that I know, they struggle too. Anyway, that was only a small part of my post, it wasn't the main point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question? After Sunday?
What do you mean?
It's a serious question. So many AFL players are opening up about mental health struggles. There have been recent suicides among ex-players. If the AFL can theme rounds to focus on things like breast cancer then why not a men's mental health round. Open up the conversation.

Serious question
Why isn’t there a men’s mental health round?

Serious answer; Why gender specific?

This isn't a gender issue in the way breast cancer targets females or prostate cancer targets men.
Studies show that females suffer depression more than the male. One in all in. Let's be truly inclusive on these issues.

The AFL may have their hands full with plenty of other showcase rounds, but mental health wouldn't be the worse one to take up. May even be the best one.

This isn't a gender issue in the way breast cancer targets females or prostate cancer targets men.
Studies show that females suffer depression more than the male. One in all in. Let's be truly inclusive on these issues.

The AFL may have their hands full with plenty of other showcase rounds, but mental health wouldn't be the worse one to take up. May even be the best one.
Ok don’t genderise it then. I just want a mental health round.

what studies ?

serious question

Ok don’t genderise it then. I just want a mental health round.

If we were to add another to the repertoire, mental health should be seriously considered as it's something that may truly have impact.

what studies ?

serious question

I've known this to be the case for a long time. Not hard to look up

• Girls account for around 75% of reported self harm
  • Girls account or around 70% of reported suicidal thinking
From the study you showed up and we are talking about depression aren't we? I am.

"Women are nearly twice as likely as men to be diagnosed with depression. Depression can occur at any age."

Read this one.

Whichever way, it's a non-gender issue and should be dealt with as such.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back