Toast Michael Apeness

Remove this Banner Ad

To come back from so many injuries and do what he has the last few games is genuinely exciting and a massive credit to tye kid. Personally, I don't think we can play with him, Taberner, Cox and Sandi/Darcy in the same team. But it's a great problem to have for once

I don't want us to go too tall forward. Really hoping McCarthy finds his mojo.

Mundy midfield. Reduce his game time, play from the bench as a super sub.

McCarthy Taberner Matera
Walters Apeness Cox

Still too tall imo.

Agree, that seems one tall too many.

For me, McCarthy has to fight Cox for the 3rd tall spot. He's going to have to bide his time at Peel.

How do we fit in McCarthy, Tabs, Bennell, B Hill, AP and Walters? Not to mention Logue and Darcy.
Do we have to? Good competion for spot will improve our side. Nobody will stay in on average form then. And there will always be some injuries.

PS When all youngsters turn out the guns we hope for and stay fit and firing, we can't pay all of them anyway.

I can't see a spot for McCarthy if Apeness, Tabs and Cox are all fit. Things can change though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd laugh if it Taberner that has to work his way back into the side for a spot after injury, bricks will be flying.

I mean he was good but was he that good he just automatically gets a spot?

Knowing our luck someone will get injured so it wont be a problem anyway.

I think he will be straight in when fit, looked set to explode.

Apeness is clearly in front of Taberner or Cox as our forward/ruck, so assuming he maintains fitness he is a lock.

If injury allows I am not averse to giving a couple of games to an over-sized forward set up this year, but in the end I think the ideal components is; one of Taberner/Dixon, Apeness/Cox, McCarthy. Mundy is also a tall forward but because he has midfield ability he can fit into a best 22. Clearly there are variations within that, but for diversity that is how I see it.

Obviously McCarthy doesn't deserve a start at the moment. He struggles to make an impact, but once his role at AFL level becomes medium forward I think it is the right balance.

Apeness is clearly in front of Taberner or Cox as our forward/ruck, so assuming he maintains fitness he is a lock.

A lock? Wow. Apeness has exceeded expectations but is not even close to a lock imo. He is the worst forward of those three but clearly the best ruck. Given it is about an 80/20% fwd/ruck arrangement I prefer a good forward that is an ok ruck as opposed to a good ruck who is an ok forward.

McCarthy takes Mundy's high HF role in the next year or two.

He'll come into his own when he's allowed to roam around the 50 without the pressure of being our only key target.

If I have my way, Mundy ain’t going anywhere for at least another year.

300 here we come.

A lock? Wow. Apeness has exceeded expectations but is not even close to a lock imo. He is the worst forward of those three but clearly the best ruck. Given it is about an 80/20% fwd/ruck arrangement I prefer a good forward that is an ok ruck as opposed to a good ruck who is an ok forward.
I would still have Taberner in front of him on his form before he was injured . Although he has performed better than i expected .

I think the difficulty here is that many want to know exactly what our best 22 is and we can't balance having the currently in form Apeness, Sheridan and Kersten in when others who were also in good form (Taberner, Pearce) or talented up and comers (Logue, Dixon) come back.

In reality having multiple options is great for competition, driving standards and having contingency.

Personally going forward, I think his spot is the fwd/ruck where he will play 75% fwd. This means he would be competing with Tabs for a spot unless he can kick out Darcy from the primary ruck role. Cox is more mobile than Tabs and Ape and probably has the most talent as a fwd so I dont really think his spot is up for debate. While Ape and Cox do provide good fwd pressure for their size, a fwdline with Cox, Ape and Tabs is too slow for mine. Either way, exciting to finally have some depth going fwd

Remove this Banner Ad

Back