Michael Christian is having a shocking run, he and the AFL need to do better

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Yes I said chose because he chose to bump instead of tackle and got Macrae high, he wears the consequences.

"Obviously not enough force"? Subjective given there's no threshold for suffering a concussion, Jack Viney copped a flying knee straight to the face a couple of weeks ago and bounced right back up.

I find it staggering that this case outrages you so much seeing as they are pretty common and with the same result.

What’s he meant to do?
Long had no chance of pulling out.
The only option is to hit McRae with his open chest, which would stuff Long right up.

Plus medium impact? Spare me.

Cotchin got off for a head high hit and actually injured Shiel.
I don’t actually think Cotchin should’ve been suspended necessarily but if you line these two incidents up it is particularly disgraceful.

Sallmf

Rookie
Oct 3, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What’s he meant to do?
The only option is to hit McRae with his open chest, which would stuff Long right up.

I don’t actually think Cotchin should’ve been suspended necessarily but if you line these two incidents up it is particularly disgraceful.
Choose not to bump in the first place, it's that simple.

Why do you still not understand the rule? If you choose to bump and hit a player in the head, you're in trouble. Don't like it? Try expressing your displeasure to the many players suffering the long term effects of concussion from headaches to memory loss.

That's not to say Christian is off the hook. Of course, if it was someone like Shaun Burgoyne or your boy Dangerfield, no doubt little Mike would make a special exception.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

Why do you still not understand the rule? If you choose to bump and hit a player in the head, you're in trouble. Don't like it? Try expressing your displeasure to the many players suffering the long term effects of concussion from headaches to memory loss.

That's not to say Christian is off the hook. Of course, if it was someone like Shaun Burgoyne or your boy Dangerfield, no doubt little Mike would make a special exception.
From a broad perspective, I agree with you. He chose to bump when he didn't need to. By the AFL's criteria though, I don't see how this gets classified as medium impact. It is the exact same as the Marlion Pickett bump on Heeney. Christian stated himself that it was graded as low impact then because Heeney was fine and got up straight away.

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

You’re completely clueless with evidence being you think danger would get off.
It was not really a choice, it’s just a collision at high speed so he did very well to slow down quickly and not injure him.

You know Danger has been suspended for a tackle before costing him a chance at a Brownlow? So now I know you’re definitely a nuffy.

If you think that’s harsh by me to you than you probably shouldn’t make up rubbish.

Last edited:

Sallmf

Rookie
Oct 3, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
From a broad perspective, I agree with you. He chose to bump when he didn't need to. By the AFL's criteria though, I don't see how this gets classified as medium impact. It is the exact same as the Marlion Pickett bump on Heeney. Christian stated himself that it was graded as low impact then because Heeney was fine and got up straight away.
Impact is never going to be assessed consistently. Us bulldogs fans realized this with crozier earlier in the year.

It was not really a choice, it’s just a collision at high speed so he did very well to slow down quickly and not injure him.
Lol, are you really this dense?

He could've chosen not to start a high speed charge toward a player.
He could've chosen to tackle.
Alas, he very clearly had the intention to bump macrae when he began charging towards him, at which point, he risks suspension upon making head high contact. I know this might come as a shock to you, but this is indeed a choice he made.

It's not rocket science. Just because you're used to Dangerfield getting away with it doesn't mean other players can.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
What’s he meant to do?

He's meant to tackle, it's not a difficult question.

You can argue the medium impact but you run that gauntlet when you bump and get a player high rather than tackle.

Jun 9, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
So Long gets sighted and suspended but nothing comes of the Zak Butters headbutt Friday night? Is this because the game commentators decided Long should get a suspension and nothing become of butters? That’s what they said in both games’ coverage

The whole logic around impact went out the window when Shiel became the only player ever to cop a high impact rating from a bump that didn't cause an injury.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Will be hard to overturn, they'll justify the medium impact because it "had the potential for further harm" or some rubbish like that. Crozier similarly was reported earlier this year with medium impact when the player was fine like Macrae.

It's just typically inconsistent and they choose to apply what they want, when they want, rather than when they should.
Congratulations on being a supporter of the bloke who got bumped and not acting like a ******* moron about it. 👍
Mean that too, nothing more embarassing than when a side loses and their nuffy supporters flood the board begging for suspensions

Munga

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 2, 2003
AFL Club
St Kilda
What’s he meant to do?

Exactly my thoughts. If Long opens up to tackle, Macrae just ploughs through him... why on Earth would Long want that? Maybe they should be carrying witches hats instead, if the only option is to let players run free.

Jul 14, 2007
Melbourne, Victoria
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Ah here come the morons who've never played sport before
Yeah he should have jumped out of his way, you never wanna hurt someone ever 😥
You calling others morons is a pot meet kettle moment.

Long had the option to tackle but chose to bump, he got Macrae high. The impact can be argued but this is not some unique situation, these incidents happen regularly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pusswah

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
This is the classic bumping and catching the guy high.
You can't do it, and if the suspension doesn't get upheld it's a joke.
Dude not appearing to be hurt by it is just luck of the draw.
If he doesn't get suspended the AFL is condoning high hits.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco

The AFL has already condoned high hits with the likes of Fyfe, Cotchin and Ablett getting off head high striking charges.

Different rules for star players that are Brownlow chances though, Long isn't in that category so is seen as expendable and someone they can make an example of.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon it’s a poor decision. Long was also protecting himself in the split second he had IMHO. If Long doesn’t turn Macrae ploughed through him.

Stealth69

Debutant
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Reckon it’s a poor decision. Long was also protecting himself in the split second he had IMHO. If Long doesn’t turn Macrae ploughed through him.

Can see both sides of the argument here.

Force of impact was lineball... Think Long may be lucky McRae is one TOUGH customer, many others would have been rolling on the turf and pretty much sentenced Long

If it was me, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, after all it is finals just give the players that extra 10% leeway...

Let him play I say

Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Where have you been for the past 3-4 years??

Of course should go based in what you're saying - but thr issue is that what you're saying isn't actually the way the AFL have ever handled these things!

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So Long misses a final because it could've been a potential injury? A fanciful case by the AFL

Ridiculous how they get to randomly use ‘potential’
A lot more players should’ve been rubbed out in the past if you want to go down that line.
He wasn’t injured as Long did his best to pull up quickly and because of that was not injured.
If he had no care he would’ve knocked him out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back