Mitch Clark

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, it should never be forgotten how serious his mental health issues were at Melbourne, his doctor was very concerned for his well being playing footy at the highest level, until of course Geelong ponied up the green, after that he seemed to make a miraculous recovery.

Good for him

Ponied up the green? Bloke is on the minimum salary...

Who's been excellent for Collingwood and would be otherwise assisting you in winning a flag this year.

It was an atrocious trade by Geelong.

Varcoe had been poor for the best part of two seasons for us and more importantly freeing up his $400k salary meant we could target Dangerfield, Henderson, S. Selwood and Smith.

Don't think you'd find a single Geelong supporter who'd let any one of those recruits go to bring back Varcoe. And I was, and am, still a Varcoe fan.

Varcoe was also jaded with the club and needed a change. Was better for both that we traded him even if we did get Clark.

Geelong have not missed Varcoe one bit.

Him leaving has in part lead to Guthrie progressing into a very very good midfielder. As well as providing opportunity to other players such as Cockatoo and Mccarthy.

With Clark and Kersten departing, it allows Geelong to Draft a key forward, which they can develop for three years or so, and groom as a replacement for Hawkins.

Its geelong we are talking about, they know what they are doing. Its not Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what i understand i think it's real. Melbourne developed a plan for him to come back as a rookie and therefore no pressure to perform. It was a plan formed with input from his doctor and designed to help him not only with his football but his health.
But Geelong dangled the dollars and thought they could get a gun forward cheaply, they really failed him big time but he was seduced by money. He should never have been put under so much pressure to perform, absolutely disgraceful but that club.

Dangled the dollars and got him cheaply? I'm confused

So a bloke who has severe depression makes a bad decision, what a ******* surprise.

Perhaps Geelong should have worked with his doctor for more than 12 months before putting him out on the field.

Absolutely disgraceful and the results prove it
HTF do you know what Geelng did behind the scenes? I don't.

Funny how geelong supporters never miss any of their players that leave. Even gary ablett. Varcoe was a big miss and traded for peanuts. His last three weeks at geelong were very good. Turns out we traded him after he had finally recovered from his injuries. What fools we were on that trade.

Couldn't have missed him that much, didn't you say Geelong of dead certs for the flag this year.....?

Funny how geelong supporters never miss any of their players that leave. Even gary ablett. Varcoe was a big miss and traded for peanuts. His last three weeks at geelong were very good. Turns out we traded him after he had finally recovered from his injuries. What fools we were on that trade.

Listen I liked Varcoe more than any Cats supporter but after that absolutely woeful PF performance against the Hawks where he got 9 touches, 1 mark, laid 1 tackle and bottled the shot to tie the game, his career was done here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back