Mega Thread MLB 2019 season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So I've been looking at the Payroll tracker: https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/

The League Average is $134 million. There are thirteen teams above it.

There are three above $200 million: Red Sox at nearly $223 million, Cubs at $212 millon, and Yankees at $208.5 million.

Some teams have big payrolls that make sense: Dodgers just under $200 mill, Nationals at $161, Astros at $160 - all of those are contending or close to it. But some are just absurd. The fifth largest spender, at $179 mill, is San Francisco! The Cardies are at $162.

In the bargain basement side of things, most of the bottom teams financially are rebuilding teams: Pirates at $77, Orioles at $74, Marlins at $72. But the big surprise for me, was that the lowest expenditure in the entire competition are none other than my Rays, at an astonishing $60 million - AND, that includes $15 million, a quarter of their entire payroll, for Morton.

That means, just looking at the AL East, Boston are nearly spending more than the lower three AL East teams combined.

Last edited:

Really like the squad we have, the only disappointment for me is letting Marwin go.
Your thoughts on Morton's departure? Rays have him at $15mill pa - a quarter of their current payroll. Curious if you're sad to see him go? Think the Rays overpaid?

Is scoring up this season?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Braves bullpen blows, couldnt name one pitcher I feel confident in. 5-1 lead after 6, 5-6 down half an inning later. Putrid

Sounds like the Oakland Athletics starting pitcher group. So, so bad.

Gee, life's tough for the Yankees from here on: KC for four games, Angels for four, then Giants for three, then a snack on Arizona for two.

If they don't win at least 10 of those 13, NYY fans have every reason to be disappointed.

Gee, life's tough for the Yankees from here on: KC for four games, Angels for four, then Giants for three, then a snack on Arizona for two.

If they don't win at least 10 of those 13, NYY fans have every reason to be disappointed.
Betances
Severino
Stanton
Sanchez
Gregorius
Andujar
Bird
Tulowitzki
Hicks
Ellsbury

Could make a reasonable team out of that list.

I think beating Boston will lift them, Paxton pitching like he was expected too, just need to get some injured players back and should see them pumping out the W's

Betances
Severino
Stanton
Sanchez
Gregorius
Andujar
Bird
Tulowitzki
Hicks
Ellsbury

Could make a reasonable team out of that list.
I get that. But just for this series, one of my best mates is a KC fan, and he himself says they are seriously putrid this year - no bullpen to speak of, it's all developing in their farm. This series should be a sweep, whoever the Yankees field.

With Snell out for a bit with a freak broken toe accident, Rays are going into tomorrow's game against Boston with an opener - the third time in a row. If ever the Red Sox are going to win one, I reckon it's tomorrow. After that, Rays will play Morton and then Glasnow.

I get that. But just for this series, one of my best mates is a KC fan, and he himself says they are seriously putrid this year - no bullpen to speak of, it's all developing in their farm. This series should be a sweep, whoever the Yankees field.
Might’ve gone a bit early there! Yankees form has been patchy at best with so many outs, depending on players like LeMahieu and Frazier. Even the recent Sox 2 game sweep was against a horribly (enjoyably) out of form team and took a GS from Gardiner (but if you’re going to score one make it your 100th HR and do it at The Stadium against Bosox). The division could be interesting this year with the two usual dominant teams off to slow starts.

Might’ve gone a bit early there! Yankees form has been patchy at best with so many outs, depending on players like LeMahieu and Frazier. Even the recent Sox 2 game sweep was against a horribly (enjoyably) out of form team and took a GS from Gardiner (but if you’re going to score one make it your 100th HR and do it at The Stadium against Bosox). The division could be interesting this year with the two usual dominant teams off to slow starts.
Clearly went early! ;)

So, the Rays got a wake up call by the Red Sox over the weekend, that's for sure.

Of course, slumps are part of baseball, and keeping a .700 average across a season is unsustainable. It was an interesting four game slump, though: Against Baltimore, the Rays were behind but scored a tying run in the 9th, losing by one in the 11th; in the second game against Boston, the Rays were behind but scored the tying run in the 8th, losing by one in the 9th; in the third game against Boston, the Rays were behind AGAIN but scored the tying run AGAIN in the 9th, losing AGAIN in the 11th. So they have been able to get back from behind, but not bump ahead.

Also, I'm reminded of something MadTigerFan noted with Seattle - that eventually batters would figure out the Mariners' pitchers. I think his point also counts for Tampa Bay's closers: Castillo and Alverado had been suffocating for the first month, but it seemed like they lost some of their mystery against Boston.

So, two points from the Angels v Yankees game that just finished.
  1. You can put that loss down to Lucroy stuffing up a simple throw to first base after Bard had done all the hard work to strike out Torres. Torres scored the winning run.
  2. The Yankees fan they kept showing who was gloating at his Angels partner as the game turned his way - let's just say, I don't like his chances of scoring home tonight...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back