Mega Thread MLB season 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The season officially gets underway on 20 March 2024 with a two game series between the Dodgers and Padres in Seoul, which is marketed as the "Seoul Series". ESPN are carrying both games. Obviously, it's the first time we see Shohei Ohtani as a Dodger, after spending six years as a member of the Los Angeles Angels. Game 1 will feature starting pitchers RHP Yu Darvish for the Padres going against RHP Tyler Glasnow. Ohtani will bat second in the first game as the DH, a position he will occupy for the season after he underwent a version of Tommy John surgery at the end of 2023.

The Los Angeles Dodgers have fired Ippei Mizuhara, the interpreter for Shohei Ohtani, after Ohtani’s representatives accused Mizuhara of engaging in a “massive theft,” using the player’s money to place bets with an allegedly illegal bookmaker under federal investigation.

“In the course of responding to recent media inquiries, we discovered that Shohei has been the victim of a massive theft, and we are turning the matter over to the authorities,” Berk Brettler LLP, the firm representing Ohtani, said in a statement.

Definitely smells of Ippei being thrown under the bus to save Ohtani's career. Especially given how the story changed multiple times.

Hope I'm wrong because if Ohtani is found to have gambled on baseball there is only one outcome based on the Pete Rose precedence.
38 states can you gamble , california is not one of them

Probably a cover up for something but surely not because Ohtani was betting on games.
Victim of a massive theft yet ESPN reports they cannot find one law enforcement agency that has been asked to investigate. This guy builds millions in debt and he’s on $85k a year! Ohtani out of his concern for his mate opens his pc and decides to make 8-9 half million payments over months to some shonky bookie! Really?

Unknown as yet if he’s bet on baseball but this is very smelly.

Victim of a massive theft yet ESPN reports they cannot find one law enforcement agency that has been asked to investigate. This guy builds millions in debt and he’s on $85k a year! Ohtani out of his concern for his mate opens his pc and decides to make 8-9 half million payments over months to some shonky bookie! Really?

Unknown as yet if he’s bet on baseball but this is very smelly.

More believable if its thousands and not millions, You would think Ohtani might have asked a few questions before wiring across 4-5 millions worth to a guy he has (supposedly) never met. Can only think maybe the interpreter thought his life was in danger.

I just don't see the connection yet that it obviously means he had been betting on games like Pete Rose.

Guess it's one way to get people interested in baseball again.

Read somewhere that he is talking to the media for the first time today.

I look forward to more details!

Ohtani read from a prepared statement and took no questions from the media. Asserted that Ippei stole money from his account and told lies. He's saddened and shocked that someone whom he trusted has done this. Asserted that he's never bet on baseball or any other sports, nor has he asked anyone else to place bets on his behalf.

Ohtani read from a prepared statement and took no questions from the media. Asserted that Ippei stole money from his account and told lies. He's saddened and shocked that someone whom he trusted has done this. Asserted that he's never bet on baseball or any other sports, nor has he asked anyone else to place bets on his behalf.
Weird conference. Ohtani reading from a prepared statement written in Japanese. The interpreter next to him scribbles on his own pad as Ohtani speaks and then reads back in English. Why not just translate from Ohtani's statement? Anyway theft it is and would expect police charges to be laid soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird conference. Ohtani reading from a prepared statement written in Japanese. The interpreter next to him scribbles on his own pad as Ohtani speaks and then reads back in English. Why not just translate from Ohtani's statement? Anyway theft it is and would expect police charges to be laid soon
1. He didn't read a prepared statement. He spoke from a set of notes. All japanese speakers undertsand it was clealry not a prepared statement.

2. The translator therefore had to make notes to capture the actual spoken language.

But, yes, he clearly used the word theft a number of times and that the authorities would deal with it

Last edited:
1. He didn't read a prepared statement. He spoke from a set of notes. All japanese speakers undertsand it was clealry not a prepared statement.

2. The translator therefore had to make notes to capture the actual spoken language.

But, yes, he clearly used the word theft a number of times and that the authorities would deal with it
ESPN reported that he read from a prepared statement. I didn’t make that up. As for the theft …his people still refuse to say exactly which enforcement agency they’ve asked to investigate the theft.

ESPN reported that he read from a prepared statement. I didn’t make that up. As for the theft …his people still refuse to say exactly which enforcement agency they’ve asked to investigate the theft.
Yeah, I know they reported it as such, but he didn't. I was just clarifying that for you. And that expalins why the interpreter needed to take notes as he wanted to capture Shohei in his own words

Can I just say the jerseys look absolutely disgusting both quality and image wise.
Normally don’t see sweating on baseball jerseys, but the Yankees’ especially is a disaster. What a joke for a multi billion dollar league.

Don’t agree with Ohtani. There’s so much more to this, and MLB are desperate to shut this down and blame just one person.
Billions at stake. That’s all they care about

How is it Braves batters can constantly hit in regular season year after year but choke in playoffs? Playing Phillies in Philadelphia last playoffs they scored 3 runs in 2 games, yet first 2 games of this season 20 runs.....other than the pitching being different why are the batters such chokers?

How is it Braves batters can constantly hit in regular season year after year but choke in playoffs? Playing Phillies in Philadelphia last playoffs they scored 3 runs in 2 games, yet first 2 games of this season 20 runs.....other than the pitching being different why are the batters such chokers?
As a Braves fan, yes it is getting frustrating to be a WS favorite basically every season but yet falling apart in the playoffs. Yes won a WS not so long ago but should have had at least one more since then. Great start to this season so far and hopefully can complete the sweep tomorrow.

Excited also as I am headed down to Atlanta in a couple of weeks to watch their series against the Mets. Try to get down there to watch at least 2 series a season.

As a Braves fan, yes it is getting frustrating to be a WS favorite basically every season but yet falling apart in the playoffs. Yes won a WS not so long ago but should have had at least one more since then. Great start to this season so far and hopefully can complete the sweep tomorrow.

Excited also as I am headed down to Atlanta in a couple of weeks to watch their series against the Mets. Try to get down there to watch at least 2 series a season.
That doesn't explain why it is happening though? How can it happen that all batters choke at the same time?

That doesn't explain why it is happening though? How can it happen that all batters choke at the same time?
I don't know. Not like its a conspiracy to all stink at the same time haha, it just happens. The pitchers they faced were very very good and they should have changed their lineup a bit, thats on their manager Snitker.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back