More racist abuse for JC

Remove this Banner Ad

The racism needs to be called out

Those directly responsible for it probably won’t change their behaviour but by highlighting the comments it brings a broader understanding of how insidious it is and an idea of what indigenous players have to deal with

The club(s) calling it out lets the players know they don’t have to deal with it themselves and that they are supported

I don't believe that, unless they filter for certain words and delete any post that contains them which leads to a whole new set of problems.
A certain cheese brand for example might not like having any post which mentions them automatically deleted.
IP banning people from a social media network is another alternative that’s already entirely possible. Not the easiest thing to work around either without the person being banned having to fork out $$$ for a VPN or new device.

IP banning people from a social media network is another alternative that’s already entirely possible. Not the easiest thing to work around either without the person being banned having to fork out $$$ for a VPN or new device.

IP banning is pretty easy to get around. If you disconnect your phone from your WiFi you'll get a different IP every time usually.

Not really, most home connections use dynamically assigned addresses. Working around a single banned IP address is usually as easy as the user rebooting their router. It can also have the knock on affect of another user obtaining that address, and thus being banned from a service for no fault of their own.

For those reasons IP address bans are usually only temporary, or aimed an identified block of address space which has been identified as generally being malicious (usually called bogon filtering).

Most service bans are done by recognised pre-set cookies, email addresses, and other simple identifiers.

The racism needs to be called out

Those directly responsible for it probably won’t change their behaviour but by highlighting the comments it brings a broader understanding of how insidious it is and an idea of what indigenous players have to deal with
I agree with this but I don't think the current trend of reactive actions is the way to do it. This method hands the attention seekers what they want, they've made several entities do something.

What could be done instead it make it common - put it front and centre on AFL broadcasts, club websites, media release. The message becomes seen and normal, and it becomes unnecessary to have reactive reinforcement every time some clownshoes decides to abuse a human.

The club(s) calling it out lets the players know they don’t have to deal with it themselves and that they are supported
If the message is normalised, the clubs and the AFL don't need to do this publicly. If I were in the same spot I'd probably prefer a few of the club officials to call or message me saying they've got my back and this is what's happening, rather than a massive media release. Imagine if your workplace sent out a company wide email stating you've been abused in some manner and all the heavy language stating it wob't be tolerated. Epsecially if at that point the perpatrator hasn't been dealt with.

That said it's all moot if this this the player's decision.

IP banning is pretty easy to get around. If you disconnect your phone from your WiFi you'll get a different IP every time usually.
Not really, most home connections use dynamically assigned addresses. Working around a single banned IP address is usually as easy as the user rebooting their router. It can also have the knock on affect of another user obtaining that address, and thus being banned from a service for no fault of their own.

For those reasons IP address bans are usually only temporary, or aimed an identified block of address space which has been identified as generally being malicious (usually called bogon filtering).

Most service bans are done by recognised pre-set cookies, email addresses, and other simple identifiers.

I was under the impression that each device has its own fixed IP address seperate to the one it gets assigned by the network, maybe I’m confusing it with something else, it’s been a while since I studied anything to do with networking.

I was under the impression that each device has its own fixed IP address seperate to the one it gets assigned by the network, maybe I’m confusing it with something else, it’s been a while since I studied anything to do with networking.
Sort of, but that's generally not visible across an internetwork, and also changeable (but more difficult that simply restarting your router).

Depends on your ISP. When I was with IInet I used to get a different IP address every time I disconnected/connected etc. You can pay extra to keep a static IP. My current ISP just allocates me a static IP so it never changes.
Anyways even if it did change it's easy enough for an ISP to cross check who had what IP at what time (unless they're using a 3rd party VPN). And since each ISP has their own IP range it'd be easy to figure which ISP an IP address belongs to.

Neural networks are getting quite good at solving problems that computer algorithms have been traditionally really bad at. So it's about a squillion times more complicated than word filtering.

Pretty soon it'll be like having a human read and evaluate every post as it's written. I'm sure things will still regularly get cocked up, but people tend to agree the stuff we're talking about in this thread is racist, so it should be easy enough to start there.

If that certain brand of cheese changed it's name, I don't think the world would end either ;)
It's a slippery slope though, a word in itself isn't necessarily racist until you provide context to it.

It's a slippery slope though, a word in itself isn't necessarily racist until you provide context to it.

The tech I'm talking about understands the context as well as a human does, which is why it's so much more involved than word filtering. Social media companies would roll out versions of this tomorrow if they were made responsible for the content posted on their sites. It'll happen sooner or later.

I'm sure abusers will still find ways to be abusive, but it'll cut out the overt crap pretty quickly.

The tech I'm talking about understands the context as well as a human does, which is why it's so much more involved than word filtering. Social media companies would roll out versions of this tomorrow if they were made responsible for the content posted on their sites. It'll happen sooner or later.

I'm sure abusers will still find ways to be abusive, but it'll cut out the overt crap pretty quickly.
It'll be interesting to see how well it works if it ever does get implemented

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back