Morrison ready for Tiger challenge (afl.com.au)

Remove this Banner Ad

CJH

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 20, 2000
Belgrave
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Morrison ready for Tiger challenge
Saturday 22 November 2003
Barry Levinson
New Tiger Shane Morrison is looking forward to the challenge of cementing a position in the Richmond forward line, after being secured with the 64th selection in the National AFL Draft.

Morrison could only crack it for five senior games in four years with triple premiers Brisbane, after joining the club through the 1999 draft.

The powerfully built Morrison was behind Alastair Lynch, Jonathon Brown and Daniel Bradshaw for a spot in the Lions’ forward line and after Richmond expressed an interest, decided to try his luck in the draft.

“I was reasonably confident that I’d end up somewhere,” Morrison told afl.com.au.

“Richmond had been having a little bit of a chat to me, but not a whole lot.

“I just threw myself in the draft a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to get an opportunity to play some senior footy.

“I spoke to the Tigers a little bit late in the year, then spoke to Brisbane and Leigh Matthews. They said because I’d been here four years and only notched up a couple of games, if I was looking for opportunities elsewhere, I should go for it.

“They backed my decision and it was good that we parted on good terms.”

Morrison, who has spent his whole life in Queensland, is looking forward to making the move down to Melbourne, despite his slight apprehension over the change in weather.

“It’s a big decision to move interstate, because the whole time I’ve lived in Queensland,” he said.

“I came from Cairns then moved to Brisbane and my whole family is here. So it’s going to be a big move to Melbourne with the weather and a different lifestyle.

“But it’s another challenge that lies ahead of me, which I’m looking forward to.”

Morrison was prepared to play anywhere in his search for greater opportunities, but is delighted to be heading to Punt Road.

The Tigers have secured a player that Brisbane hard-man Brad Scott previously described as very similar to Jonathon Brown, in the way he attacks the ball.

“Richmond wasn’t the only club that was interested in me, but I was lucky enough to get there,” Morrison said.

“That was my first priority. I always wanted to go to them because there are a few positions vacant that I hopefully can fill for them next year.

“Up forward is where I’d like to play. When I first started with Brisbane I was used as a defender, but then I turned myself into a forward. I’m happy to play at either end of the ground, but my number one preference is to play as a forward.”

Richmond football director Greg Miller and coach Danny Frawley were on the phone an hour after the draft, welcoming Morrison to Tigerland.

He expects to be in Melbourne by early in the week.

“Hopefully I’ll be down there in the next couple of days. I’ll just grab all my clothes and my footy boots and I’ll be down there as soon as possible.”

If he was "as good as some people say" he wouldn't have lasted until pick 64, nor would he have only managed 5 games in 4 years, even if it was Brisbane.

He won't be as good as Benny, but he still could be servicable and add to our depth. I hope he proves me wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back