Most advantaged and disadvantaged clubs

Who is the most advantaged team in the league?

• Adelaide

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Collingwood

Votes: 310 44.2%
  • Carlton

Votes: 20 2.8%
  • Richmond

Votes: 77 11.0%
  • Westcoast

Votes: 113 16.1%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • Geelong

Votes: 184 26.2%
  • Gold Coast

Votes: 10 1.4%
  • Bulldogs

Votes: 23 3.3%
  • North Melbourne

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Sydney

Votes: 74 10.5%
  • Giants

Votes: 45 6.4%
  • Brisbane

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 31 4.4%
  • Saints

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • Freo

Votes: 5 0.7%
  • Melbourne

Votes: 9 1.3%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 42 6.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong does fine but I’d suggest that our advantage is exaggerated and that the discussion needs to be more nuanced than it is. And again- if we are at an advantage at K.Park, then we are at a disadvantage when we aren’t there.
That in itself is flawed reasoning. If they hosted an interstate side at the G (like they have in finals) then that’s not a disadvantage. All of these things are relative to your opponent.

And that happens 13 times. ( 11 if you say Carlton and Essendon are on similar mcg access to us). It’s still more games at a disad than anyone else.
This is the point though. It’s not 11 games at the level of Adel-v-Carl disadvantage, it’s 5 or 6. The rest you don’t have to deal with the same factors of a hostile crowd and a foreign ground—in fact you get the same ground on repeat.
Pies and tigers have 14/15 games at the g. 6 of them are against interstate or non-tenanted teams.
Pies play 5 interstate, and host interstate teams 4 or 5 times—often one of those at Marvel which reduces our advantage (such as WC this year, which I could make a fair case cost us 4 points).

Generally we play Marvel tenants 2 at home and 2 away.

Pies and tigers, and dees etc then get 8/9 games that are 50-50. If you are in a 50-50 situation then you are not as disadvantaged as a more away game.
Correct.

Then they play finals on their home ground, so I’d be arguing that if Geelong is advantaged, so are they-probably more so.
Finals is a bit of a separate issue, and yes I completely agree this is the one area where Geelong comes out the poorest (along with the Marvel clubs). The thing is I don’t see a solution when you have a 100k stadium just up the road. Though they could probably start by allocating the tickets 60-40 to the home team rather than 50-50 to try to build a bit of an advantage to the side that finished higher.

I’m not sure if you’d consider a team that plays 15 times at a ground is then in a 50-50 with a team that plays 5. Seems a bit unbalanced to me.
I’d suggest—and I don’t have data on this—that there’s definitely a point where the returns diminish. Nobody is going to argue with a straight face that Haw v Rich is an advantage to Richmond because the Hawks sell games to Tassie. They are more than comfortable enough at the MCG to call that a neutral game.

Lots of people hate Geelong and fair enough-we keep performing year after year. Geelong are good, it’s not as simple as just ‘advantaged’. But that means the discussion about our perceived advantages is often compromised.
That’s a very fair point. People will always try to cut down the successful teams, it’s an unfortunate outcome of sport. Just look at how every year’s flag “doesn’t count” for one reason or another according to the experts on here.

Anyway people throw tantrums about the fixture every year, in reality it isn’t that big a deal. Everyone has pros and cons to theirs, which tend to even out over time for the most part.

That in itself is flawed reasoning. If they hosted an interstate side at the G (like they have in finals) then that’s not a disadvantage. All of these things are relative to your opponent.

This is the point though. It’s not 11 games at the level of Adel-v-Carl disadvantage, it’s 5 or 6. The rest you don’t have to deal with the same factors of a hostile crowd and a foreign ground—in fact you get the same ground on repeat.

Pies play 5 interstate, and host interstate teams 4 or 5 times—often one of those at Marvel which reduces our advantage (such as WC this year, which I could make a fair case cost us 4 points).

Generally we play Marvel tenants 2 at home and 2 away.

Correct.

Finals is a bit of a separate issue, and yes I completely agree this is the one area where Geelong comes out the poorest (along with the Marvel clubs). The thing is I don’t see a solution when you have a 100k stadium just up the road. Though they could probably start by allocating the tickets 60-40 to the home team rather than 50-50 to try to build a bit of an advantage to the side that finished higher.

I’d suggest—and I don’t have data on this—that there’s definitely a point where the returns diminish. Nobody is going to argue with a straight face that Haw v Rich is an advantage to Richmond because the Hawks sell games to Tassie. They are more than comfortable enough at the MCG to call that a neutral game.

That’s a very fair point. People will always try to cut down the successful teams, it’s an unfortunate outcome of sport. Just look at how every year’s flag “doesn’t count” for one reason or another according to the experts on here.

Anyway people throw tantrums about the fixture every year, in reality it isn’t that big a deal. Everyone has pros and cons to theirs, which tend to even out over time for the most part.
The finals are a different kettle of fish and other factors affect things then. In h&a, if we play away from Geelong, I’ll continue to suggest we are disadvantaged in more games than other clubs, but yes, I agree there are differing degrees of ad/disadvantage also, but happy to move on now.
As a Geelong supporter, I accept we don’t have much to complain about.
Anyway thanks for the sensible and thoughtful discussion.

Geelong have the biggest advantage over the rest of the comp.
They have a cultural advantage.
They have a whole regional city to draw from. A city whose population are 98% Geelong supporters.
How could any player or club not be be stimulated by that environment?
But who wants to live in a city that is full of meth heads

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Recently, now and future the Dogs are advantaged by the NGA and father son, but that's only by chance, not because of the draw or where they play.

The biggest advantage is the same teams having “marquee” fixtures every year which generate the most interest, revenue and exposure which also lends itself to more media coverage of the same few clus. What other professional comp in the world gifts the best fixtures possible to the same few teams regardless of how they are performing? This is a flow on effect of not having set fixtures but a “draw.” I know those clubs had the foresight to invest in promoting these games and making them traditions, but the fact that the best the Saints can hope for is like 5 Friday night games is just a sad reality that has become accepted. And I also know that it makes no financial sense at this current stage to have Saint Kilda vs North as the Anzac Day game lol.
American sporting leagues do this

Dallas Cowboys always have the Thanksgiving game.

NBA always has big clashes on Xmas day, with Lakers etc getting a gig.

Back