Most important Carlton forward - Poll

Who is Carlton's most important forward?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Most important person for Carlton's forward line is Shane Watson if he can put together a group the can hit the scoreboard effectively and can play defensively. LeBois and Pickett are missing from the poll and both could be majorly important to our forward line. We need to get as much development as we can in Curnow, Silvagni and McKay. I would also like to see what Kerr and Macreadie can do. I'm also hopeful that Jaksch can so something and casboult can get his kicking right.

In the one taste we got of Curnow, SOS and Mackay in the same day during that game which should not be mentioned at PP in the preseason - Harry looked the most impressive. Mind you, I never watched the replay to double check that memory but take my word for it.

I haven't really participated in these threads much recently, but this needs be said.

Our most important forward, right now, is Dennis Arnfield.

Not because he's the best player down there, or because his position is structurally significant. Not because he's a tearaway player who is capable of kicking goals in burst, or because he's quick or anything like that. Dennis is the most important player in our forward line because he genuinely cares about his teammates and his side. He hates to lose; he is the first one around a young player, to celebrate their first goal, or to pull him up when he's been struck by a hard tackle. He's the person who functions both as the barometer and the example for the young players in our forward line.

Sure, Levi is more structurally significant. Harry McKay is - hopefully - a genuine long term key forward. But Harry will need time, and he will need positivity around him on the field, and Levi spends as much of his time frustrated as any other emotion. Down back, we have Kade, we have Doc, and Weitering. In the middle, we have our captain, we have Kruez, and we have Cripps.

But down forward, all we have is the smiling man, Dennis Arnfield.

Remember when Levi took 11 marks, kicked 3 goals, and generally just tore the Wobbles' defence a new one?

We all should, it was less than a year ago.

sigh...
Consistency is his issue. Until this becomes normal, he will continue to be remembered for the missed shots rather than what he does bring to the side.

Remember when Levi took 11 marks, kicked 3 goals, and generally just tore the Wobbles' defence a new one?

We all should, it was less than a year ago.

sigh...
He was really coming into form and I think many of us quietly hoped 'this is it' - then he did the knee injury the next week from memory. Aaaaaaaand it's gone.

Levi aint getting any better and his best is not good enough.. Harry is still 12 months away from having any significant impact, just look at Tom Boyd.. IMO Jack Silvagni could have a big impact this year and if he can average 1.5 goals a game he will win our goal kicking and be well on his way to being a key player in our team.

I haven't really participated in these threads much recently, but this needs be said.

Not because he's the best player down there, or because his position is structurally significant. Not because he's a tearaway player who is capable of kicking goals in burst, or because he's quick or anything like that. Dennis is the most important player in our forward line because he genuinely cares about his teammates and his side. He hates to lose; he is the first one around a young player, to celebrate their first goal, or to pull him up when he's been struck by a hard tackle. He's the person who functions both as the barometer and the example for the young players in our forward line.

Sure, Levi is more structurally significant. Harry McKay is - hopefully - a genuine long term key forward. But Harry will need time, and he will need positivity around him on the field, and Levi spends as much of his time frustrated as any other emotion. Down back, we have Kade, we have Doc, and Weitering. In the middle, we have our captain, we have Kruez, and we have Cripps.

I feel bad for picking Harry after reading this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Levi won us the game against Collingwood - and I enjoyed listening to the commentators constantly harping on about how Colliongwood were coming back from two 6 day games and were obviously tired. that game capped off Levi's purple patch of form starting later in 2015 - during which time the general concensus was that he was the best contested mark in the competition and if he could kick straight would command 700K pa - from any team in teh competition.

Knee injury the follwoing week - miraculous recovery ( along with Kreuzer) statement from Bolton that players needed dto learn to play through pain....but his season (and Kreuzer's) was never again as good as it had been. Levi lost not only his marking ability but also any semblance of run ( remember a few of his famous chased downs from past?) he became an easy rebound off target for defences and spent too much time being sad and sorry about his lack of impact. Leads me to ask teh question - how fit was he really and how much confidence and ability was lost because he wasn't?

The Club has put it on Levi to show what he can do - he obvioulsy has no suitors out there willing to pay more than what we put on the table- rumoured to be in the 300's for one season- sometimes being shown what the door will look like is what is required - he knows teh new Carlton will not accept mediocrity much longer.

IF his knee is 100% and if he gets his head screwed on right regarding kicking ( which was looking very good prior to injury) THEN he becomes an unexpected bonus and not just an immobile devoid of confidence veritable witches hat who misses from in front of goals and sucks the life out of the side.

Big ask - but stranger and more delightful things have happened - see BoyOhBoyd in GF as an example.

I hope he makes it - by which I mean - he kicks 35 + goals this season and creates opportunity for a much improved bunch of small guys who will be running around crumbing off the big boy - Levi is teh kind of bloke everyone wants to see do well.

Levi's football IQ doesn't exist, and it will always hold him back. Cannot put him in the conversation because of this. Rookie draft pick for a reason.

I suspect we'll be amazed what a group of 6 players can create, thinking the game at a high level, with constant movement in the forward zone.

On exposed AFL form, it's a tough call between Silvagni and Curnow.

Levi's football IQ doesn't exist, and it will always hold him back. Cannot put him in the conversation because of this. Rookie draft pick for a reason.

I suspect we'll be amazed what a group of 6 players can create, thinking the game at a high level, with constant movement in the forward zone.

On exposed AFL form, it's a tough call between Silvagni and Curnow.

Tend to agree. His kicking is not his only major flaw. He simply does not get his hands on the pill enough, averages 10 poss a game, doubt there is any key fwds avg less.

Tend to agree. His kicking is not his only major flaw. He simply does not get his hands on the pill enough, averages 10 poss a game, doubt there is any key fwds avg less.
Just for argument's sake. Using all players that kicked 17 goals or more (one less than Levi's output) and anyone with one disposal more per game than Levi.
Levi = 9.6 disposals
Patton = 10.2
Bruce = 10.6
McGovern = 10
Vickery = 8.3
Moore = 9.1
Josh Walker = 9.4
Redpath = 10.6
Mason Cox = 7.5

Was it last season against Geelong he kicked those 3 goals? That was my highlight of last season, great memory!

Just for argument's sake. Using all players that kicked 17 goals or more (one less than Levi's output) and anyone with one disposal more per game than Levi.
Levi = 9.6 disposals
Patton = 10.2
Bruce = 10.6
McGovern = 10
Vickery = 8.3
Moore = 9.1
Josh Walker = 9.4
Redpath = 10.6
Mason Cox = 7.5

Great post. Once again dispels some of the comments made without any basis or fact.

Levi won us the game against Collingwood - and I enjoyed listening to the commentators constantly harping on about how Colliongwood were coming back from two 6 day games and were obviously tired. that game capped off Levi's purple patch of form starting later in 2015 - during which time the general concensus was that he was the best contested mark in the competition and if he could kick straight would command 700K pa - from any team in teh competition.

Whilst I agree with your comments the key is that 2014/15 was under the Malthouse game plan. Play wide and then bomb it long to the top of the square. That suited Levi perfectly and played to his strengths. Last year Bolton really had the forward line open, pushing up the ground, creating space and moving in all directions. He looked lost and really struggled, especially defensively. Reminds me a lot of a an old style 2nd ruck from the 60s & 70s. Would have been a handy player in that period.

Levi = 9.6 disposals
Patton = 10.2
Bruce = 10.6
McGovern = 10
Vickery = 8.3
Moore = 9.1
Josh Walker = 9.4
Redpath = 10.6
Mason Cox = 7.5

Point taken, but you have hardly listed an elite group there.

It really shows how horrid our forwards are when a kid who hasn't played a game is being voted as the most important

True but I look at the kids on that list. McKay Macreadie Charlie Kerr Silvagni LeBois Pickett Sumner maybe Weitering or Marchbank plus our young runners. Very exciting. At the stage of a rebuild having a 28-30 yo dominant key forward wouldn't mean much. Having a number of talented kids coming through does. I'm really looking forward to this season and beyond

Back