Strategy Moving on from three recent premierships, how does RFC grow from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just win another flag then we get even more powerful and thus take a huge piss on the dreams of the AFL

The club will grow so long as it can capture new fans. This is nothing groundbreaking.

Good thing for us we have always had a huge following and even better that we have had recent success and all the young kids want to barrack for Richmond. Contrast with Hawthorn (success but s**t colours) or Carey-era North (success but no critical mass to build membership).

The only Victorian clubs that can really grow are the big 4. Of these, Essendon are ****ed, especially if they appoint Turd, and Carlton keep letting their fans down. That leaves us vs the pies, which is to be expected. They are our only rivals. All the rest got no chance.

It was a wise move to align with the Indian community and attempt to grab a share of the immigrants, as that will drive growth. Only problem is findians don't tend to integrate and don't like their kids playing contact sports. But it should bear fruit well well down the track. A free hit for us.

I am not a fan of the redevelopment in its proposed form (I think we can do better) but redevelopment is what must come next to set us up for the future. The main thing is to keep hubris at bay lest we do a Carlton with the legends stand. I would personally * off the women's to another location but we have to deal with it as so much funding is tied up with it.

Team-wise, well the draft is designed to * us up; we have to deal with this. That means the best recruitment team and best recruitment strategy we can find. I'm actually pretty happy with where we are at with the exception of KPF. I hope the club has had a multi-year strategy for this rather than going "best available" with all our picks and this being the result.

I'm very happy with our coaching staff, we have a strong team around Dimma, especially with Rutten coming back. I have no fears for the succession plan, whenever that may be.

As always, we have to nail the key appointments, so Peggy's successor will need to be a star studded appointment, as will the medical/rehab staff.

I think we are in a good place and very excited about next year.

If we get Hopper and Taranto playing for us next year - fine by me - we are going to be a very good team next year.

Very happy with where we are at.

Last edited:

Close losses. Collingwood handled the pressure of close games we didn't. I think back at the final. The custerf@@@allowing Danihers goal; Balta not positioning himself well vs Hipwood early in the game; goals from 50s against Baker and Cumberland. All meant that we couldn't put Brisbane away. Build a bigger lead. Maybe the sum total of carrying Gibcus, Edwards and unfit Dusty was just too much. Playing a lot of kids was great but they didn't play well in the final~ but at hopefully some learnings. The Prestia injury was just too much. Hopper and/or Tarranto will be huge. Maybe we'll start putting oppo teams away and don't allow conebacks.
Our coaches didn't master STAND, then they didn't master DISSENT. The free kicks don't cost wins per se, but 50m penalties cost us. Rutten back at the club is good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back