Moving overseas for a year

Remove this Banner Ad

King_Neptune

Senior List
Mar 27, 2005
Here and There
Just wondering if anyone here has done this. I'm first year out of school and looking to have a working holiday overseas somehwhere next year. I have some small qualifications in the hospitality industry so that should help me find employment. Canada looks ok with work on ski resorts.

Where should I be looking at going? Anyone done something similar? Discuss

The world is your crustacean.

Depends on your interests, current savings and linguistic skills.

You could do worse than spend six months in India living on the cheap and then slum it in the uk.

Or, if you're into skiing, Whistler is certainly a great option.

If you have another language, skip blighty, and experience a real change in life.

http://www.owh.com.au/

A good site that offers some different locations where you'll be with similar people, woking mainly in hospitality and exploring the surroundings. Good thing about this is it sets you up with a job and accomodation before you leave. However there is an initial financial outlay.

I did the whole bum around England, work in a pub, travel every other weekend and pick up essex girls thing. I'm about to start it up once again, only this time I'm getting a real job...:( It was the best thing I've ever done.

I have mates that did 6 months in Denmark/Sweden on a uni exchange. They loved it but it was a little too expensive.

I've also got a mate that did the canadian ski resort thing. He then spent a year and a half working his way around the US. He's now in Scotland.

You've got to be a independant person to survive in another country (especially if your not an experienced traveller). I saw quite alot of aussies brake in home sickness (even I was homesick - it rained for a whole month....:thumbsdown:).

Just try to embrace all the different cultures, accents and weirdos you meet along the way and drink heaps of beer!

King_Neptune said:
Just wondering if anyone here has done this. I'm first year out of school and looking to have a working holiday overseas somehwhere next year. I have some small qualifications in the hospitality industry so that should help me find employment. Canada looks ok with work on ski resorts.

Where should I be looking at going? Anyone done something similar? Discuss
I have lived in Canada for almost six months and Kazakhstan for almost four. I think you should choose somewhere that interests you, and then work out how feasible it is. Working holiday programs are great and I've heard good things about the Rocky Mountains, so that would be a safe bet... though I've also heard Banff or Jasper (or somewhere around there) is the AIDS capital of the world. If you have enough dollars then I'd recommend Europe... :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back