Omegaville

Club Legend
May 8, 2010
Croydon
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg FC, Melb Vixens, Renegades
Yesterday I switched over to Channel 31 by chance (12:00noon Saturday) and a local footy show was on. While pottering around the house, preparing to head out, I just glanced at the TV and an interview with Russell Jacgung and Doug Dyall, MPNFL historians, had begun - with a whole series of footy jumpers.

I fired up the iPhone camera and began snapping away, because I thought a few of you guys would like to see these jumpers. Russell and Doug had the jumpers made up by Lyon Sportswear, that's the "L" you'll see on the tags.

Note that these clubs no longer play in the MPNFL, they are either defunct, merged, or in another league in some form.

Langwarrin Guards (with Doug holding the guernsey)
LangwarrinGuards.jpg

Somerville Stars
SomervilleStars.jpg

Moorooduc (C31 got the caption wrong)
Moorooduc.jpg

Baxter
Baxter.jpg

(A better look at the monogram)
Baxter_0205.jpg

Frankston High School (and yes, they did win a premiership!)
FrankstonHS.jpg

Balnarring (One of the earliest clubs to adopt a nickname - known as the Kangaroos since about WW1)
Balnarring.jpg

Army Signals
ArmySignals.jpg

Flinders
Flinders.jpg

Army Apprentices - a unique team that only played in 3rd division
ArmyApprentices.jpg

Balcombe
Balcombe.jpg

(NB: This appears to be exactly the same as the Army Signals jumper)

Bruce Park (with Russell)
BrucePark_0218.jpg

Frankston Rovers
FrankstonRovers.jpg

The team began as Bruce Park, the name of their venue, but renamed to Frankston Rovers after a couple of seasons. They have since merged with Frankston Bombers (Dermott Brereton's old team).

Morning Star
MorningStar.jpg

Navy
Navy_0224.jpg

Carrum
Carrum.jpg

Carrum Downs - formed in 2002 (hence the very modern design)
CarrumDowns.jpg

Rythdale Cardinia
RythdaleCardinia.jpg

Officer
Officer.jpg

Both teams play as one now - R.O.C. (Rythdale Officer Cardinia)

A couple of general shots, including a few jumpers which weren't noted in the interviews:

zzz_0230.jpg

zzzz_0235.jpg

One you can't really make out as it's cut off, it's a Footscray-style jumper with red collar and cuffs.
Vaguely recall that Bonbeach is the royal blue Demons jumper. Dunno what the dealie with the yellow cuffs is.

Yeah I like those ones too! Officer is old-school Fitzroy, while Navy and Apprentices just look so simple yet effective.
I also like Frankston HS - not just for the colours :)
Morning Star is an interesting one too.

Really cool.

Army Apprentices is like no other footy jumper. Love the green and gold hoops, very elegant and screams of 20th century footy. The rugby-style jumper improves the whole jumper as well.

I like Moorooduc, Baxter, Frankston High, Army, Carrum Downs jumper. Army is my favourite.

Some interesting designs in there.

Favourites would be Army Apprentices, Mooroduc and Carrum.

Yeah Bruce Park is different eh... gold with a brown pointy yoke.

Army Apprentices also had a jumper with an AAFC monogram:

ArmyApprentices_0215.jpg

Come from the Peninsula, was pretty interesting to read this. Anyone else familiar with the area. Would Balcombe have played at Mace Oval in Mt Martha, that's the only oval I can think of actually in Balcombe. Also Frankston Rovers are a junior side now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come from the Peninsula, was pretty interesting to read this. Anyone else familiar with the area. Would Balcombe have played at Mace Oval in Mt Martha, that's the only oval I can think of actually in Balcombe.

I'm familiar with most of Melbourne due to visiting places, going on random drives or just looking in the Melway :thumbsu:
Not 100% on where Balcombe played, they did mention Mt Martha... it's possible as all sorts of venues have been used in years gone by.

Do Lyon Sportswear make custom woolen jumpers?
Could do all, aren't interested in most.
They will make 'one base colour' jumpers, like Carlton, South, Essendon & Richmond.
(Where they add the monogram, sash or vee over the top in anothe rcolour)
They won't do stripes, panels or bands like the other AFL/VFL teams.
This is because they already have some material, but they're not buying any more in.
They have stocks of Navy, Black & White from years gone by though.
These are affordable, but not cheap.
Two and Three base colour jumpers need the knitting machine to operate, and that costs big money to set-up, operate and machine.
These have to be special to pay for them; and they were talking something like $200 - $250 each for one offs.
Obviously they've done them here, but when I've asked, Hugh has not been interested in the idea of these types of jumpers.
If was something that promoted their business, like the TV show, they might be more interested in doing them cheap.

These have to be special to pay for them; and they were talking something like $200 - $250 each for one offs.
Obviously they've done them here, but when I've asked, Hugh has not been interested in the idea of these types of jumpers.
If was something that promoted their business, like the TV show, they might be more interested in doing them cheap.

*nods*
Doug and Russell said on the show they were going to frame all the jumpers for display in a "MPNFL Museum" - so for something like that, the high price tag is justified. :thumbsu:

Fantastic stuff!
Come from the Peninsula, was pretty interesting to read this. Anyone else familiar with the area. Would Balcombe have played at Mace Oval in Mt Martha, that's the only oval I can think of actually in Balcombe. Also Frankston Rovers are a junior side now.

I assume Balcombe would be referring to what is now South Mornington at Citation Oval (Juniors, amateurs and womens) They have the exact same jumper today still, and is a part of what used to be the suburb of Balcombe - North of the creek to about Craigie road approximately.I think Mace has only ever been used for military purposes - no club rooms in sight!

The Army Apprentices School was located at Balcombe from 1948 through to 1983 (then moved to the Albury area).
The Apprentices ranged in age from 15 through to 18. Over the years they played in various leagues, mostly on the Peninsula
They wore a Green Jumper with a Yellow V
They played their home games at their base at Balcombe and used their oval known as Citation Oval

Rugby and Soccer (also Army Apprentice Teams) used Mace Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back