Game Day NAB Cup Round 1 - Hawthorn v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
8 hours past and still no Game Day Thread? #sackthemods

It's finally here! The first game of the year for the young cubs, with more senior players returning next week. I'll be watching all the way from USA, going to be a good experience for the boys.

Keeping a close eye on Aish, Robertson and Close. These guys have been impressive in the pre-season and it looks like they're ready to take the next step.

I'll be ecstatic if it's as close as last night's game, but as long as it doesn't get too ugly and the boys are putting in 110% effort, I'll be beaming the next day. NAB premiers v AFL premiers tonight, going to be a good spectacle and it'll be interesting to see Leppa's game plan and how he wants it to play out. :thumbsu:

GO LIONS!

It will be interesting to see how Hawthorn try and tackle the reigning premiers tonight ;)

Really looking forward to seeing all these young guys. I'm much more interested than I would be if we played mostly senior players in the pre-season. We'll undoubtedly get a good look at how we set up without the ball.
GO LION CUBS!

does anyone know when they will be finalizing the line-up ... and will they announce the three to miss out.

all I want from tonight is 100% effort, if that means at the end of the day we were not good enough to win so be it, i want to walk away from tonight's game proud of the effort the boys put in, win or lose or draw.

I cleared the story I was reading to my 7 year old last night in a marathon effort and have told the kids and Mrs Davemonkey "Lions playing on radio - won't talk to anyone!"
If I didn't think my son would just use it to watch Minecraft videos on Youtube in bed I'd smuggle him his iPod to listen to the game.

Will be watching it on my tablet now that I dont have Foxtel. Hopefully will be a cracker. Excited to see how Zorko goes after his pre-season to, as well as all the cubs.
Sold! I've not needed it until now (getting the Lions on Brisbane TV, but 2 weekly passes might just be the ticket.
Having said that I know a mate used it and thought the experience (picture quality in particularly) was pretty ordinary. What has been other's experience watching games on the app?

Sold! I've not needed it until now (getting the Lions on Brisbane TV, but 2 weekly passes might just be the ticket.
Having said that I know a mate used it and thought the experience (picture quality in particularly) was pretty ordinary. What has been other's experience watching games on the app?

I watched the Collingwood/Geelong game last night on my 7" Asus Transformer tablet I bought a few years ago and it was perfectly fine to watch. Not pixellated at all, it freezed for a few secs only once in the first quarter but didnt require a reset. I had it on Wifi, but its about the same speed as what the 3G is Ill have at work so Im pretty confident it'll work.

The only thing Im not 100% confident on is using my phone to Wifi to my tablet and still having the meter less usage. I suspect it wont work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

srs so no Rockliff either? Leppa really putting the pressure on these young boys then.
given those outs i've tried to put a team together. Personally I would be looking to put as much experience on the park at the start but have held Bewick and Crisp back to still have some experience when the first round of interchanges happen.

B: Harwood, Maguire, Polkinghorne
HB: Golby, Clarke, Wearden
C: Robertson, O'Brien, Aish
HF: Mayes, Close, Paparone
F: Green, Lisle, Zorko
Foll: West, Lester, Raines

Int: Crisp, Cutler, Hayes, Bourke, Bewick, Michael Sub: Freeman, McStay

I went with two talls as the subs mainly because if we don't we're going in very very tall, even with 6 interchange players. I would be bringing off Maguire and Lisle as the subs and putting on Freeman and McStay later in the game. I thought about putting Zorko in the guts to start however still wanted some experience after our first set of rotations. I would imagine that Green and Zorko will get a fair bit of midfield time with Hayes and Bewick both coming on in the forward line at some stage. Michael and Lisle to share the backup ruck duties, Bourke and Wearden to be a bit interchangeable in the backline on the 3rd tall.

Geez when you put a team down you realise how inexperienced we really are, especially in the mids.

Gotta say I've been pumped about watching Aish all pre-season more than anyone. But after training in Melb yesterday I finally got my first look at the side in ages. Bloody excited about Big Close now. He's a fair bit bigger then I thought. Solid too.

Counting down the hours.

Still daylight savings time below the border? So 6.10 Brisbane time for bounce? Cripes the kids will still be eating dinner! Gather around the iPad children, it's footy time. Cleaning teeth and tuck ins for small children at quarter time.

Gee your squad is young and inexperienced! Was hoping for a more senior side so our younger/fringe players are up against a quality AFL hardened side.

However this must be exciting for you guys to see so many younger and fringe players having a crack and making their case to be picked early in the season.

On paper it looks like we should win easy but who knows as it's the pre season. I just hope there's no injuries to either side and it's played at a reasonable intensity like last night's game.

Good luck guys and hopefully we both see some younger players show great signs for the future.

Btw excited to see Aish (steal at 7) and Mayes (think he could become a star).

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

West with Sam Michael as back up ruck option I guess. Good chance with Rocky out for the youngsters to put their hand up. This is simply a chance for the young players to get a game, put new things into practise and for Leppa to get a look at a few players.

Gotta say I've been pumped about watching Aish all pre-season more than anyone. But after training in Melb yesterday I finally got my first look at the side in ages. Bloody excited about Big Close now. He's a fair bit bigger then I thought. Solid too.

Counting down the hours.

Very happy to see the likes of Aish and Robbo, but Close is one ill be watching too. He is a big lump of a lad, good chance for him after he had a slow start to the year last year. I think he has good aggression, and could be a good marking option up forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back