Discussion NAFL 2020 Premiership Season Hub

Remove this Banner Ad

Even though there are less games, there’s just something special about this shorter season. The extended finals series will be interesting to see as there’s so many variables with the randomisation of everything. But I much prefer the 7 game regular season over a 20-something game regular season. Interest is always high and it doesn’t get stale. Fingers crossed we can have similarly high entries and engagement next season.

Just about the finals, where it says "highest placed team gets home advantage", does that mean it's home v away?

Because if it does, it looks to me like a lot of strong teams that finish second in their group are going to be very harshly treated. The majority would have to play two out of three single-leg finals in their away (assuming L-W-L for most) and end up playing only four out of a total of 10 matches in their home. Wouldn't these finals be fairer as home v home?

Last edited:
Even though there are less games, there’s just something special about this shorter season. The extended finals series will be interesting to see as there’s so many variables with the randomisation of everything. But I much prefer the 7 game regular season over a 20-something game regular season. Interest is always high and it doesn’t get stale. Fingers crossed we can have similarly high entries and engagement next season.

Thanks for the kind feedback - obviously a big gamble changing up the long standing system of this board's biggest competition but so far, I feel like it's paid off. Yes, a lot of variables with the extended finals and the randomisation, but I’m excited to see how it pans out. Probably 10-20 entries this season that would be considered premiership contenders based off the form of the past 2 or 3 seasons.

Just about the finals, where it says "highest placed team gets home advantage", does that mean it's home v away?

Because if it does, it looks to me like a lot of strong teams that finish second in their group are going to be very harshly treated. The majority would have to play two out of three single-leg finals in their away (assuming L-W-L for most) and end up playing only four out of a total of 10 matches in their home. Wouldn't these finals be fairer as home v home?

Yes, that means home vs. away.

Nothing stopping teams from putting out an equally strong away entry - this is something that’s been at the forefront of my mind for most competitions over the last five years. We’ve seen it in seasons past with Brunswick, Alice Springs and Canberra where they’ve had one of the strongest home guernseys in the competition, but have lost because of the away guernsey.

Is there an argument for home vs home? Sure, but if that’s the path we went down, we might as well just have home vs home for the whole competition. The away guernsey becomes null and void, as opposed to the heart of the competition which is based on creating an entire identity for a football club.

Only match that will be home vs home is the Grand Final.

While this is unfortunate, it's been a long held adage in NAFL that you can't win a flag with a weak away kit.

A few years ago Andonis had the best home kit in the league with the Canberra Parliament, with a beautiful pseudo prison bars design based off of parliament house. But his away was just average, he lost to the better teams with it, and eventually got forced into his clash in a final against another navy based side and lost.

The bigger issue is more recently, FT and E92 before him have been forced into line ball decisions about where clash guernseys are used that have ultimately decided results, because people have submitted afterthought clash kits. That's an unfair burden on the competition runner to feel pressured into ignoring the clash rules to make a game fairer.

If we're going to have away kits in the league, they need to be used consistently throughout the regular season and finals and the current setup is the fairest way of doing it. That means that a strong away kit is vital, and it's been like that for many seasons. People who fancy themselves as a chance to win this comp should be designing away kits assuming they're going to be away to Freight Train in a prelim in that kit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’ve seen it in seasons past with Brunswick, Alice Springs and Canberra where they’ve had one of the strongest home guernseys in the competition, but have lost because of the away guernsey.
A few years ago Andonis had the best home kit in the league with the Canberra Parliament, with a beautiful pseudo prison bars design based off of parliament house. But his away was just average, he lost to the better teams with it, and eventually got forced into his clash in a final against another navy based side and lost.
You'd think I'd be mad at this stage with how many times this has been brought up but... I do enjoy the attention. So thanks.

I agree with just about all of that. Emphasising aways is great, two-legged finals are great, home v home is great, I'd really like to see a few away v away games thrown in too.

Just imagine you're a second-placer going through the current finals system. Yikes.

Just imagine you're a second-placer going through the current finals system. Yikes.

Previous seasons have only had eight finalists, whereas you’ll have eight first placers, eight second placers etc.

If you finish 2nd, you’re still in a better spot than 3rd, 4th and 5th, and it’s not as if anyone is being forced into having a weaker away guernsey than their home variant. You’re not at a disadvantage unless you put yourself at one by submitting a weaker away design.

I was tossing up which guernseys to make my homes and aways for my teams, and went with the better guernseys as the away for this reason. If I am going up against a higher ranked opponent, I want my best guernsey to take them on with.

I was tossing up which guernseys to make my homes and aways for my teams, and went with the better guernseys as the away for this reason. If I am going up against a higher ranked opponent, I want my best guernsey to take them on with.
Same thing for Ringwood as it was the first design I came up with for the team and based everything from there. Hence why the Rockets logo reflects the "away" design more so than it does the home kit, as well as why Ringwood's away has black shorts :)

Yep, same. I ended up doing a bit of a double home kit for Waikato. Right up until the start of the comp I was still undecided on whether I wanted the red or black based kit as my home, and ultimately part of the reason I went with black is because most people use a dark based kit as their home and I wanted to force those teams into away kits if it ever came up.

I feel like i had all these grand ideas for the comp. Hand drew a lot of stuff then transferred onto the pc and did the stuff. I didn't really hit the mark i wanted and i ended up rushing designs. I did spend a fair bit of time making the griffin though, which i had a lot of fun making and really like the end result.
grindelwald_griffins.png griffins_export.png

I feel like i had all these grand ideas for the comp. Hand drew a lot of stuff then transferred onto the pc and did the stuff. I didn't really hit the mark i wanted and i ended up rushing designs. I did spend a fair bit of time making the griffin though, which i had a lot of fun making and really like the end result.
View attachment 966779View attachment 966780

Plenty to work with for next season, so much potential for the identity of this team. The big thing really is making something identifiable as a footy jumper, which is a fine line when trying to push the limits of what makes a footy jumper. It's not easy but I'm excited to see what you come up in the future as well. :)

Great tactics here.

And at the end of the day, being the away team is often a disadvantage in real life footy, so it's sort of cool that NAFL has reflected that for so long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back