National Draft Pick #17 - Michael Apeness

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheers for the insight, do you know how he goes outside of his marking? Any good field kicking, under his knees etc?

Apart from his marking, he was the equal best kick for goal in the draft combine. A (seriously) underrated skill in a key forward.

Lloyd was on ABC sportstalk today and said that they had mail that McCarthy wouldn't slip to Freo and that they were more concerned that Apeness would also be gone before our pick. Said Apeness was a natural forward, strong contested mark, great endurance, very competitive, very good tackler, can pinch hit in the ruck and is a bit 'nasty' (in a good way)

I'm liking that he has some mongrel. I think that's what Taberner doesn't have, simply because of his personality, and it's the main negative I see with him. But having a key forward who can have that arrogance and bite will be a good thing for Freo.

I'm liking that he has some mongrel. I think that's what Taberner doesn't have, simply because of his personality, and it's the main negative I see with him. But having a key forward who can have that arrogance and bite will be a good thing for Freo.

We could then potentially rename Balla mini me. He's got the arrogance and the bite, just not the size;)

You need to make the trip over west to a few Peel games. He attacks the ball hard.

More concerned about his decision-making (at times) and kicking than his aggression. Although to be fair to you, he hasn't really shown his full wares at AFL level yet. He attacks the ball aggressively and leads up all day. A different kind of aggression I guess.

Unless you know him personally how can you be sure Taberner lacks mongrel? I think all the supporters will be pleasantly surprised by how much he contributes this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tabs was upgraded, Lyon wouldn't do that for no reason but I don't think he showed much on the Tele.

It's actually a massive tick that he would get upgraded, because it means a draft pick downgrade of about a hundred. Instead of using a national draft pick of about 70 for the spot on the senior list, we replace Taberner on the rookie list with our last rookie draft pick.

Tabs was upgraded, Lyon wouldn't do that for no reason but I don't think he showed much on the Tele.
If I remember correctly, Tom Hawkins was deemed to be a spud in his first couple of seasons. Many Geelong supporters were questioning why he was getting games. Now he's recognized as one of the better key forwards. Don't be too quick to judge Tabs. He's a kid who played a few senior games. The pace, running patterns, defensive pressure requirements etc... are all way above what he would have experienced before. Not to mention he would have been out muscled in a marking contest 9 out of 10 times. He might come good, he might not, but give the guy another season (or 2) at least before making any assumptions on his ability.

Didn't he also pick up glandular fever at the start if the season?
Yeah. I think he's gonna be a big improver this year. Although, I think he's still going to play the majority of the year at Peel (captain obvious I know). I'm tipping 2015 to be his breakout year.

Neither Pavlich or Gumbleton are likely to play anything like every game this year so there's probably at least 5 or 6 games up for grabs if those two stay healthy enough and half a season or more if there's a few injuries so its going to be really interesting to see the pecking order develop as the year goes on. If there's something like Apeness, Bradley and Taberner fighting for a forward spot,maybe even with crozier (different player but I know but if his form is good enough) that's some depth.

Silvagni and Smith rotating through the backline, Hannath, Griffen in ruck and we could probably scrap together a replacement midfielder or two if we needed them.

Definitely going to be a good year to support the wafl and get down to a few Peel games as well :)

Neither Pavlich or Gumbleton are likely to play anything like every game this year

Why do you keep thinking Gumbleton is going to be injured? He's 25 and has been injury free for 2 years. He passed our medical exams.

Even without a major injury any player is likely to miss a few games from 'niggles', resting or just experimenting with a different set up so I was just saying that if we take Pavlich and Gumbleton as our first choice forwards even a really good year they are, combined, going to miss at least 5 or so games, add in a 4 or 5 week injury to either and there could easily be half a season of first class games to whoever is pushing hardest for selection.

I'll be stoked if all those games are partnering either Pavlich or Gumbleton.

Even without a major injury any player is likely to miss a few games from 'niggles', resting or just experimenting with a different set up so I was just say that if we take Pavlich and Gumbleton as our first choice forwards even a really good year they are, combined, going to miss at least 5 or so games, add in a 4 or 5 week injury to either and there could easily be half a season of first class games to whoever is pushing hardest for selection.

I'll be stoked if all those games are partnering either Pavlich or Gumbleton.

Yeh I agree, I think it would do the world of good for Pav and Gumbleton to miss two away trips each.

Yeh I agree, I think it would do the world of good for Pav and Gumbleton to miss two away trips each.

I agree. Would be great to see Apeness and Tabs (and Smith) get a run in a few games for a few reasons. Take some heat off the incumbents, get some experience for themselves, develop into realistic selection options from 2015 onwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back