NBN - Good or Bad

dwwaino

Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
BVB, MVFC
My cable connection is getting switched off in two months with the cut off to organise migration by that date in less than one. So after much delay I'm finally booked in for NBN at the end of the month. Glad I didn't go when the initial roll out happened as plenty of water has gone under the bridge since then and I'm getting Telstra's 100 unlimited for exactly what I'm paying now. Fingers crossed the issues have been ironed out and it's as reliable as my current connection.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blackshadow

Premium Gold
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Team WADA
My cable connection is getting switched off in two months with the cut off to organise migration by that date in less than one. So after much delay I'm finally booked in for NBN at the end of the month. Glad I didn't go when the initial roll out happened as plenty of water has gone under the bridge since then and I'm getting Telstra's 100 unlimited for exactly what I'm paying now. Fingers crossed the issues have been ironed out and it's as reliable as my current connection.
Went HFC when I moved house in July it's been flawless since.

Can highly recommend Superloop for performance and price.

dwwaino

Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
BVB, MVFC
Went HFC when I moved house in July it's been flawless since.

Can highly recommend Superloop for performance and price.
What sort of speeds are you getting? Telstra uncapped my cable for a while earlier in the year and I was hitting around 85/5 during peak. Of course won't know until it's up and running but I imagine it will be similar as it's on the same infrastructure. They must be pretty confident though as they're guaranteeing 80/35 minimum during peak and if not they'll discount it further. It's probably all subjective but i've had 0 dramas with Telstra in the 8 years I've been with them.

blackshadow

Premium Gold
Sep 24, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Team WADA
What sort of speeds are you getting? Telstra uncapped my cable for a while earlier in the year and I was hitting around 85/5 during peak. Of course won't know until it's up and running but I imagine it will be similar as it's on the same infrastructure. They must be pretty confident though as they're guaranteeing 80/35 minimum during peak and if not they'll discount it further. It's probably all subjective but i've had 0 dramas with Telstra in the 8 years I've been with them.
I'm on 50/20 and get rock solid 46/17 + speeds whenever I've checked. Superloop has a reputation for excellent ping times too. Look up the thread on whirlpool for far more detail and real world speed tests.

dwwaino

Jun 25, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
BVB, MVFC
I'm on 50/20 and get rock solid 46/17 + speeds whenever I've checked. Superloop has a reputation for excellent ping times too. Look up the thread on whirlpool for far more detail and real world speed tests.
I had a bit of a look yesterday but it's about as useful as asking how long is a piece of string. Before and after is more informative due to congestion and the part from the premises to the node being the most important. I should be ok. I'm in an estate that was only built when we moved in so we're probably on our own node and patch of network going by my previous cable speeds over the lifetime.

TradeDraft

Premium Gold
Oct 18, 2009
Mornington Peninsula
AFL Club
Collingwood
Your Speed depends how close you are to the Node. Need to be within around 300 meters to get Full Speed. I am around 400-450 away I get.

Speed Speedtest.JPG

I am also on the 100mbps Package

Last edited:

drd23

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
I had a bit of a look yesterday but it's about as useful as asking how long is a piece of string. Before and after is more informative due to congestion and the part from the premises to the node being the most important. I should be ok. I'm in an estate that was only built when we moved in so we're probably on our own node and patch of network going by my previous cable speeds over the lifetime.
Are you getting FTTN or FTTC?

Deliverance

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not sure I'll need it. I'm on 4G and 4 of us can game, stream and surf simultaneously with no issues. What are people doing that actually needs speeds of 50-100mbos?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dumb

i shit blue
Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
i get about half the speed promised. however after some reading, that could maybe improve if the cabling in the house were fixed up - that is at least, removing the wiring used in one of the extra old phone sockets which seem to slow the NBN down.

biggiemediums

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 20, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chelsea, Storm, Heart.
Bentleigh here - gone from an average of 3mbps to 40mbps with NBN. Pretty stoked - sucks that some are having issues, I finally have first world internet :)

Top Bottom