News NEAFL to merge with VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Uni are skint this year. It's great they're not lowering standards in education and selling their souls for Chinese money this year, but they won't be putting more money into sports.

Sydney Uni are skint this year. It's great they're not lowering standards in education and selling their souls for Chinese money this year, but they won't be putting more money into sports.
Sadly that may well be the case. However, they had worked hard to solidify their place in NEAFL and can’t imagine they’d now want to pass up the opportunity of a spot in the more prestigious VFL if they can possibly help it.

In addition, if they don’t participate Sydney will likely have no non-AFL representation in the top Eastern Seaboard competition, which will significantly impact on development pathways for Sydney based players.

Sadly that may well be the case. However, they had worked hard to solidify their place in NEAFL and can’t imagine they’d now want to pass up the opportunity of a spot in the more prestigious VFL if they can possibly help it.

In addition, if they don’t participate Sydney will likely have no non-AFL representation in the top Eastern Seaboard competition, which will significantly impact on development pathways for Sydney based players.
Usyd has invested heavily in their AFL team of late. I'd be surprised if they pulled out now

It makes sense but there’s a lot of tradition tied up in the “VFL” name and I’d be surprised if the Vics give that up without a fight.
but I like the Harley quote from the SMH article
Swans chief executive Tom Harley is also eager to see the competition given a more geographically appropriate name.
"The VFL is an iconic and storied competition," Harley said.
"I think it is important that the heritage of that competition is retained, however with the inevitable inclusion of teams outside Victoria playing in a newly formatted competition, the name should rightly reflect that - very similar to what occurred when the AFL was formed."

It makes sense but there’s a lot of tradition tied up in the “VFL” name and I’d be surprised if the Vics give that up without a fight.
VEAFL

Very Eastern Australian Football League

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, speaking as a former member of staff at the university and knowing what pain they would be going through right now, it is just not possible for me to imagine that spending money on the football team to boost them up to the VFL is something that could realistically be doing right now.

Yes, speaking as a former member of staff at the university and knowing what pain they would be going through right now, it is just not possible for me to imagine that spending money on the football team to boost them up to the VFL is something that could realistically be doing right now.
I wonder how much more it would actually cost to move into the VFL though?

I wonder how much more it would actually cost to move into the VFL though?
I think the NEAFL salary cap was around $200k while the VFL salary cap was up around $400k, but will be getting lowered. Still, it is a big step up in terms of player quality and wages.

I think the NEAFL salary cap was around $200k while the VFL salary cap was up around $400k, but will be getting lowered. Still, it is a big step up in terms of player quality and wages.
Will depend on sponsorship I guess.
The CCP and linked building companies can sponsor 500k and change the name of the team and the uni to 'Glorious Future Make Benefit Middle Kingdom Tigers' They can then surround the oval with a bespoke Hong Kong Style development of 20 towers each 88 floors high and move the University into the bottom 2 floors. At least the students from Sydney Boys/Girls High will feel at home.
Both the ALP and LNP will strongly support the proposal as they'll get 50k in donations and a consultancy post Parliament.
Footy's future in NSW is thus secured. What a win for Australia !

You’re close to the Port club aren’t you Beds? What do you think their view on this is?
I think it's a bit early to say . In my opinion the AFL will go back to a ressies comp and the stand alone club will be deserted. There is already salary cap cut backs at suburban and country leagues. All up in the air atm.

This really does not make any sense.
1. The VFL clubs will smash the non-AFL NEAFL clubs;
2. If the AFL is paying the airfares, there is no saving;
3. The non-AFL NEAFL clubs will need to find significant extra player payments to compete and they may not be able to do so;
4. If the AFL subsidises the non-AFL NEAFL clubs for extra player payments the AFL's costs will increase;
5. Canberra is out. If Sydney Uni cannot compete it means that there is no pathway or higher competition in NSW or the ACT. That's a population of over 8 million, and that can't be good for the expansion of the game.

Edit: forgot the Riverina, where footy is strong. But the point remains - no non-AFL pathway in Sydney, Canberra and the bulk of NSW.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back