New A-League Finals Format.

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Couldn't find any other posts on this so...

This coming season the A-League finals system will change to a complete knock-out one with no second chances.

Basically in the first week, 1 and 2 have byes whilst 3v6 and 4v5.

1 and 2 each play one of the first week's winners in a semi. Semi winners go through to the Final.

What are people's thoughts on this? At first I disliked the idea of 1 and 2 losing the second chance, they still get a decent advantage with this system. I also think will make it more interesting as 3-6 need one less win to get through to the Final. It also eliminates the potentially boring second leg of the Major Semi.

It is essentialy the same as the AFL system from its (the AFL's) second week onward.

Any thoughts?

I like it, keeps the allure between 1st and 2nd all the way to the Grand Final (assuming both make it) rather than having them play too much and take a bit of the charm away. Think Geelong Vs St Kilda 2009, it's the Grand Final everyone wanted to see and they had to wait to see the matchup.

The only thing negative could be that you don't see the good teams until week 2 of the finals, but that's fine as the 1 and 2 teams earn that break, but the main positive thing is that it cleans up the protracted messy affair that was the old format and keeps it nice and simple.

I like it. The old system suits football but in 2011 it was boring to see us play the same team three times. And in 2012 I was glad when Perth won the prelim so we wouldn't have to play the same team three times again.

The thing is that the preliminary final has never really been embraced by A-League fans, and there were too many repeat finals, you often had a situation where 1st and 2nd played each other 3 times during a finals series, it was often a case of, oh god, not them again.

The new finals systems addresses all those issues - every final will be important.

The thing is that the preliminary final has never really been embraced by A-League fans, and there were too many repeat finals, you often had a situation where 1st and 2nd played each other 3 times during a finals series, it was often a case of, oh god, not them again.

The new finals systems addresses all those issues - every final will be important.

This.

Each final becomes important.
Teams can only meet once in the finals, unlike the old format.
Sudden death all the way.
Teams 3-6 have a more realistic, albeit still dificult, chance, of winning the championship.

I like it.

I like it, I am not huge on teams losing to another team but potentially going further then that side in the same finals series.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back