Opinion New AFC HQ: We're on like Donkey Kong!

What should we do?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting listening to the Emma Dawes interview. A few of my take aways:
  • Fears funding will be diverted from the road upgrade to the facilitate funding for redevelopment
  • Port Adelaide only have 1 oval
  • Adelaide's Gasworks proposal only included 1 oval
  • Will Port Adelaide be given funding to match any given to Adelaide?
  • Community access to the entire park
  • Maintained that at the end of the road project, there would be a 180m strip of land adjacent to South Road that the club could build (within their means, whatever they want)
  • Maintains that the SANFL could remove the fencing around the current Thebarton Oval now
In regard to funding diversion. She stated that there's around $200M from the state ear marked for improvements along the corridor. Green spaces and other. She's concerned that budget funding for these improvements will be diverted to the clubs development.

Port Adelaide have or are planning to build a soccer pitch (from memory) in the park adjacent to Alberton (wasn't mentioned). I imagine if the park adjacent to Alberton was big enough, Port would've built a second oval.

States that Adelaide is looking for $56M from the state to assist funding for the project. She believes Adelaide should fund the entire project on their own. If the club cannot afford to fund the project by themselves, the project should be scaled back.

She wants 100% community access to the park. Mentioned $9M had been earmarked for upgrades of the park and facilities. From memory the park area would be available to the community 80% of the time if the club were to utilise the Kings Park land.

It's simply not practical to remove the fencing around the current oval, not limited to security and vandalism concerns.

As a side note, trees and tree canopy were barely mentioned.

To be clear, Port were used as a comparison only to support a few points of her argument.

What has funding for Port got to do with this? Sounds like a very odd thing to bring up as an issue.
It does doesn’t it? Hence you can see the annoyance from us elitists to their objections.

Want 100% usage of Kings Reserve not 80% even though they’ll have better facilities and use of Thebby oval at times too.

Complaining about tax payer funds, if we all had a say on where our taxes went then fair enough, given we don’t, shut the **** up.

She keeps referring it to a corporation as if it’s BHP operating for profits only. This is a sporting club which a large percentage of the population support and will benefit from.

Bunch of whingers.

There’s a change.org petition supporting the development. Let’s get this up to 10,000+ signatures to counter the NIMBY’s

When I was signing the petition I saw Will Goodings' name pop up as having shared the petition so this might actually get some legs!!!

What has funding for Port got to do with this? Sounds like a very odd thing to bring up as an issue.
Have no idea what sort of funding Port got from the AFL, or the state and federal governments. Off of the top of my head I think they were given the same amounts though for their redevelopment from the AFL and the federal.

She seemed to think that if Adelaide were $X, then Port must or would be given the same.

Her argument seemed to be centred around the use of public funding going to what she considers as these large corporate behemoths.

It wasn't an Adelaide vs Port thing per se.

Have no idea what sort of funding Port got from the AFL, or the state and federal governments. Off of the top of my head I think they were given the same amounts though for their redevelopment from the AFL and the federal.

She seemed to think that if Adelaide were $X, then Port must or would be given the same.

Her argument seemed to be centred around the use of public funding going to what she considers as these large corporate behemoths.

Large corporate behemoths which are the biggest member organisations in the state?

Which underpinned the gather round festival which brought millions of economic benefits to the state?

Large corporate behemoths which are the biggest member organisations in the state?

Which underpinned the gather round festival which brought millions of economic benefits to the state?
Of course, there was no discussion in the interview of the community benefits the clubs provide.

Sounds like the project is currently in the hands and at the whims of the state government now.

How much state money were Port given for their China adventures????

Yeah.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

• Fears funding will be diverted from the road upgrade to the facilitate funding for redevelopment
  • Maintained that at the end of the road project, there would be a 180m strip of land adjacent to South Road that the club could build (within their means, whatever they want)
  • Maintains that the SANFL could remove the fencing around the current Thebarton Oval now
In regard to funding diversion. She stated that there's around $200M from the state ear marked for improvements along the corridor. Green spaces and other. She's concerned that budget funding for these improvements will be diverted to the clubs development.

Port Adelaide have or are planning to build a soccer pitch (from memory) in the park adjacent to Alberton (wasn't mentioned). I imagine if the park adjacent to Alberton was big enough, Port would've built a second oval.

States that Adelaide is looking for $56M from the state to assist funding for the project. She believes Adelaide should fund the entire project on their own. If the club cannot afford to fund the project by themselves, the project should be scaled back.

She wants 100% community access to the park. Mentioned $9M had been earmarked for upgrades of the park and facilities. From memory the park area would be available to the community 80% of the time if the club were to utilise the Kings Park land.

It's simply not practical to remove the fencing around the current oval, not limited to security and vandalism concerns.

To be clear, Port were used as a comparison only to support a few points of her argument.
Who is Emma Dawes?

So the argument is not about trees? It's about funding. Is that right? And then they want to compare to Port - I'd be more than happy for that to be a basis, as long as we consider ALL government funding Port have received.
Sounds to be like they have decided to throw as many issues as possible and hope something sticks. It's not about the use of the area, it's not about residents, it's not about trees. It's purely about having something to complain about.
Just a bunch of whingers with nothing better to do.

So the argument is not about trees? It's about funding. Is that right? And then they want to compare to Port - I'd be more than happy for that to be a basis, as long as we consider ALL government funding Port have received.
Sounds to be like they have decided to throw as many issues as possible and hope something sticks. It's not about the use of the area, it's not about residents, it's not about trees. It's purely about having something to complain about.
Just a bunch of whingers with nothing better to do.
This is because they are now targeting the state government funding in the lead up to the budget

They know the state government won’t care about trees or traffic

North Melbourne only have one oval therefore Collingwood shouldn't be allowed to have 2?

Two clubs should not mean everything has to be 50/50.

If there was more than enough land where Port are they would have two ovals without a second thought to what we have.

We had a new playground built in my council area, just down from the old tired looking out of date one, for two years, "we don't need it", then work started, "save the old one too", "the new one isn't for the same audience", "it won't be safe", "what about the parking", "it just won't work", "Won't somebody think of the children!".

Protests, petitions, online outrage, threats...

New one opens, frequently packed, old one, still open, pretty much dead but we'll probably end up stuck with it (maintenance, repairs, safety compliance).

Nobody who was for development ever says anything, nobody who really doesn't care either way ever says anything, but a handful of people can lie, spread fear and work up hundreds more people.

In the Thebarton case, what's it really about? Trees? Traffic? Change? Stopping the big bad corporate Crows? Sometimes I think it's just because they want something to do.

Last edited:
It does doesn’t it? Hence you can see the annoyance from us elitists to their objections.

Want 100% usage of Kings Reserve not 80% even though they’ll have better facilities and use of Thebby oval at times too.

Complaining about tax payer funds, if we all had a say on where our taxes went then fair enough, given we don’t, shut the * up.

She keeps referring it to a corporation as if it’s BHP operating for profits only. This is a sporting club which a large percentage of the population support and will benefit from.

Bunch of whingers.
Arguing over 20% usage, which will be occurring when the majority of residents are at work/school is just cutting off your nose to spite your face stuff.

Who's got time to rally these causes?

Don't people have jobs, families, friends? Things to do?

If they build a sewerage treatment plant across the road from my house I'd probably just have to go along with it.

Sure, I spend about 5 hours a day on here but I'm a busy man

Arguing over 20% usage, which will be occurring when the majority of residents are at work/school is just cutting off your nose to spite your face stuff.
i urge people to sign the petition that is going around to get this project moving.

Enough obfuscation. Lets get some people people power going here and help the club out.

Back