Opinion New player roles - 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

My main one is Boekhorst to the half back line, he offers speed and rebound, also needs to be fed the ball as he struggles to find it himself.

I would like to see Docherty as part of the midfield rotations like in 2015.

Murphy as our small forward.

The internet doesn't convey tone.

So true...

"I didn't say you stole my money"

Emphasising a different word in the sentence upon each reading, gives the sentence seven different meanings...

( I ) didn't say you stole my money
(I didn't say it, someone else said it)

I (didn't) say you stole my money
(Didn't happen, denial)

I didn't (say) you stole my money
(I thought it, I wrote it down, but I didn't speak the words)

I didn't say (you) stole my money
(I said Someone stole my money, not you)

I didn't say you (stole) my money
(I said you borrowed it, or lost it. But not stole it)

I didn't say you stole (my) money
(I said you stole someone's money, but not mine)

I didn't say you stole my (money)
(I said you stole my keys and wallet, not my money)

So true...

"I didn't say you stole my money"

Emphasising a different word in the sentence upon each reading, gives the sentence seven different meanings...

( I ) didn't say you stole my money
(I didn't say it, someone else said it)

I (didn't) say you stole my money
(Didn't happen, denial)

I didn't (say) you stole my money
(I thought it, I wrote it down, but I didn't speak the words)

I didn't say (you) stole my money
(I said Someone stole my money, not you)

I didn't say you (stole) my money
(I said you borrowed it, or lost it. But not stole it)

I didn't say you stole (my) money
(I said you stole someone's money, but not mine)

I didn't say you stole my (money)
(I said you stole my keys and wallet, not my money)

Can I have my money back now, Coach?

My main one is Boekhorst to the half back line, he offers speed and rebound, also needs to be fed the ball as he struggles to find it himself.

I would like to see Docherty as part of the midfield rotations like in 2015.

Murphy as our small forward.
Interesting one re: BB. I was about to suggest you need to be tougher than him to play down back but on thinking about it Hoops wasn't tough, neither was Yazz nor come to think of it Skinny Lappin. Courageous maybe and great endurance but not tough. So, yeah - as the players say.

Interesting one re: BB. I was about to suggest you need to be tougher than him to play down back but on thinking about it Hoops wasn't tough, neither was Yazz nor come to think of it Skinny Lappin. Courageous maybe and great endurance but not tough. So, yeah - as the players say.
Fair point thy, but Hoops was elite by foot. Yazz, at his best was a special footballer, and Lappin, as you've pointed out, was as courageous as any player I've seen. Plus, he could take a big grab...

I'm not against BB playing there, but other than pure speed, what else does he offer in that position?

Fair point thy, but Hoops was elite by foot. Yazz, at his best was a special footballer, and Lappin, as you've pointed out, was as courageous as any player I've seen. Plus, he could take a big grab...

I'm not against BB playing there, but other than pure speed, what else does he offer in that position?
He can take a hanger

The idea has some merit but I think we have other options and I am no way convinced about Boekhurst. If he can step up and be the player people hope wing is his best role. A linkman in the hill or isaac smith type would be my hope, but I'm not that hopeful

MacReadie - CHF. Can take a grab but don't rate him defending against 25yo men.
Sheehan . HFF - has a decent hoof.
Silvagni - full back. Just makes sense.
Kreuzer - wingman. Don't rate him against Gawn in the michaeltuck.
Thomas - tagger. Wasted in the back pocket.

The idea has some merit but I think we have other options and I am no way convinced about Boekhurst. If he can step up and be the player people hope wing is his best role. A linkman in the hill or isaac smith type would be my hope, but I'm not that hopeful
I'd be surprised (pleasantly, to be fair, as it would mean he's produced some form of note) if Boekhorst was on our list this time next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be surprised (pleasantly, to be fair, as it would mean he's produced some form of note) if Boekhorst was on our list this time next year.

Totally agree but if just 1 or 2 of Boekhurst Casboult Jaksch Gorringe Graham Jones Lamb Buckely can stand up and become very good players like some hope our list all of a sudden looks a lot stronger. Big IF though

I'm guessing Silvagni to full back is part tongue in cheek, part footy romance...
I'm sure you have included Thomas just to annoy me...

But I really like the rest, Azul....

Sumner to play as a lock down small defender. The reason why is because he has a lot of good footballing qualities but he has shown very little to no goal sense, so he is not good enough to be played forward and he also really struggles to find the ball so that rules the midfield out.
We also don't really have a good lock down small defender besides Doc but he is far too good of a player to play that role. Players like Simpson and Buckley will get taken to the cleaners trying to play on really dangerous forwards.

You think Kruezer on a wing is a good move Coach? for his speed or ball use?
I love Matty, but he can't be our first ruck anymore. The "new breed" of ruckmen has gone significantly past him...

Now, obviously he won't be Robbie Flower, and as a "traditional wingman" I agree with you, it wouldn't be ideal.

But wingmen are mids now, I think he could fill that role nicely. It wouldn't be the obvious move, but not without some merit...

No thanks

Sumner to play as a lock down small defender. The reason why is because he has a lot of good footballing qualities but he has shown very little to no goal sense, so he is not good enough to be played forward and he also really struggles to find the ball so that rules the midfield out.
We also don't really have a good lock down small defender besides Doc but he is far too good of a player to play that role. Players like Simpson and Buckley will get taken to the cleaners trying to play on really dangerous forwards.

I can see this happening.

A lot may depend on who starts kicking the goals for us and whilst Wright is there, there's only room for another one or two at the most, small / medium forwards. No point just being good defensively as you have to kick goals in the forward line.

I like Sumner but it wouldn't take much for Pickett, LeBois or Polson to have more impact forward.

I love Matty, but he can't be our first ruck anymore. The "new breed" of ruckmen has gone significantly past him...

Now, obviously he won't be Robbie Flower, and as a "traditional wingman" I agree with you, it wouldn't be ideal.

But wingmen are mids now, I think he could fill that role nicely. It wouldn't be the obvious move, but not without some merit...

Sorry Coach can't see it. He's a Ruck or nothing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back