Next Assistant in line for a Head Coaching Position

Remove this Banner Ad

smashbox gill

Premiership Player
Jun 25, 2008
Donnie
AFL Club
Carlton
With the possibility of a few coaches getting the sack in 2015 (ie. Malthouse & Hardwick) which Assistants do you think are next in line for a Senior Coaching Position.

Who are the best Assistants at your club?

In my opinion Leigh Tudor is next in line. Has been involved with St Kilda, Geelong, and Sydney during Premiership Windows learning from Ross Lyon, Bomber Thompson and John Longmire. Now at North Melbourne and said to be doing a fantastic job.

Stewy Dew is the other one. Sounded out by Paul Roos to take over the Melbourne gig only to be refused by the Swans. Is said to have a fantastic football brain.

Smokie would be Nathan Basset. Did amazing things with Norwood in the SANFL taking them from basketcase to premiers. Now at Essendon. Has he done enough as an AFL assistant to warrant a Senior gig?

In his lived history as coach he was average. Though maybe he moved to essendon as the imminent sacking of hird is close.
Was a joke mate when he was interviewed on TV around the time the freo job was vacant they asked what he was looking for and he said a head job meaning senior coaching position

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bolton has been learning under Clarko. I reckon he can move in straight away.

Doesn't hurt have an extra year apprenticeship as his not taking over the Hawks, his taking over a team in a rebuild so will be a lot different to what his accustomed to

Leigh Tudor
Brendan Bolton
Brett Ratten
Stewie Dew
Mark Williams - Richmond only.
Peter Sumich
Brendan McCartney
Nathan Bassett
Mark Harvey - Essendon only.

All potential cadidates.

Tudor has that vibe of Hinkley/Richardson having been an assistant for so long and having been passed over on a few senior gigs before.

My vote for the 'next best' though - Brett Kirk. Very smart player, has been under Roos, Longmire and Lyon who all have very much the same values but go about implementing things on field in a very diferent way.

Doesn't hurt have an extra year apprenticeship as his not taking over the Hawks, his taking over a team in a rebuild so will be a lot different to what his accustomed to
His not going to be there forever, needs to develop another coach to take over

Try "he's" next time, or if in doubt, use "he is"...

Robert Harvey for me. Reckon he would be almost champing at the bit.

Carlton, St Kilda and Collingwood have all seen their midfields regress under his coaching. There is a big reason the Saints passed him over in favour of both Watters and Richardson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back