List Mgmt. Next Generation Academy List

Remove this Banner Ad

He’d be eligible as a hawthorn f/s?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Correct
Shocked he didn't head to the hawks NGA system, guessing Mark loves living out West

IIRC the silliness all tracks back to the AFL making the dodgy decision to establish academies for the expansion clubs (NSW and Qld) who were awarded exclusive geographical zones in addition to all the other leg-ups they got from the AFL.

Then some clubs complained the expansion clubs would have too big an advantage with this. Instead of ending the whole system they contrived the NGA system which addressed a couple of other problems they were grappling with. Fine in theory but it too was always going to be susceptible to uneven outcomes.

Eventually the odd high profile case (Jamarra) gave rise to screams of "unfair!" so they tinkered with it again. By this time the AFL was starting to lose sight of its original objectives.

If it wants the clubs to run the academies on the principle that self-interest will get the best results then clubs have to see there's a reward for them in it that doesn't suddenly disappear if they do too good a job of developing the player. If they develop a Jamarra-like talent but lose him because he's a first rounder, or under pick 40 or whatever the threshold is, then they should get some sort compensation in terms of drafting. There are lots of ways to do that (eg you could be awarded 75% of the draft points for the pick# that the player was drafted at). The problem with going down this path is it just adds further complexity to the whole convoluted system and will no doubt throw up new complaints (eg from clubs who object to getting pushed down the first round draft order as a result of an NGA player going in the top 5). So then another fix is applied ... and so it goes on.

One alternative would be for the AFL to run the NGA and the development academies in NSW and Qld. Not sure what that would look like or whether it would even work but it'd take the partisan squabbling out of it which might help them re-focus on player development.
Every time the AFL pokes their nose into the game [rules etc.], they f#ck up mightily. They then have to add a new rule, or layer of complexity to 'fix' the problem/s they themselves just created. Then they have to try and fix that mess, and so it seems to go on ad infinitum. Virtually every problem the game seems to have, rests fair and square at the door of AFL House.

Every time the AFL pokes their nose into the game [rules etc.], they f#ck up mightily. They then have to add a new rule, or layer of complexity to 'fix' the problem/s they themselves just created. Then they have to try and fix that mess, and so it seems to go on ad infinitum. Virtually every problem the game seems to have, rests fair and square at the door of AFL House.
Absolutely and now we are left with clubs either developing players for other clubs or hiding/under developing players to try and slip them through the draft.

Two potential names to look for are Deacon and Seth Fawcett (Indigenous)
Both will be playing for GWV Rebels this season though haven't been a connection to them in our academy yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really like our push into the Western region of Vic, not just the Western suburbs - I think we really need to push this further over the next decade. The team for the whole of the West - hell Id even rebrand to Greater Western Bulldogs, in line with our brothers up North (this is a joke pls don’t ban, and/or find my family and kill them).

This is the path to entrenching ourselves in the glut of Melbourne teams and standing out from the pack & really building ourselves up to the top. I know traditionalists would hate it, we’re Footscray - I guess I don’t have the same connection to the name as I didn’t grow up with it, but let’s face it a good chunk of our supporter base would barely know we were ever Footscray - the good old days are gone, now we either adapt, grow or die (ie slap around irrelevantly for another century)

Now I’m not saying we should abandon our history; quite the opposite actually. We’ll always be the FFC, home base at Whitten Oval, the VFL team named Footscray is a nice touch. I think we should celebrate our roots even more to be honest, why don’t we have an annual Footscray round where we’re rebranded as Footscray for the week (see Naaarm), wear an old jumper, sell a *load of merch etc - the AFL won’t give us a special event so build our own, a massive opportunity to celebrate our history to the fans that don’t know it. Beg the AFL to give us just one high drawing team at Docklands a year who along with our push to make it an event to our supporters will ensure a sell out year after year.

Who knows maybe one day it could even be played at WO.

Anyway I’m getting off topic, getting stuck into the beers a bit early - happy new years y’all

I thought tsia was an Essendon nga player so was searching for him online but stumbled across this thread. I was excited because i saw him in the future Vic metro v Queensland u17 game.

Anyway I think you guys will like him and I'm sure he looks AFL quality, lightning quick and a good goal sense.

Top 20 isn't a stretch if he continues his progression this season. Nice to see another South Warrnambool lad in the mix though, similar area to Marra.
I can’t get over how s**t this system is, I feel we put a lot into our academies compared to other clubs - which is probably why it seems to bring through good players regularly.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great these pathways are there for these kids but ffs they should be resourced and staffed by the AFL if they don’t want clubs to benefit - putting the onus on the clubs to develop players for other clubs is just so ridiculous I can’t comprehend that even the AFL could be this stupid? Just inviting corruption for the sake of it.

It’s so simple just make clubs pay close to market rate, although they should get some type of discount for paying to bring these kids through from 12yo to be the best players they can be and grow the game and improve the league.

I can’t get over how s**t this system is, I feel we put a lot into our academies compared to other clubs - which is probably why it seems to bring through good players regularly.

Don’t get me wrong it’s great these pathways are there for these kids but ffs they should be resourced and staffed by the AFL if they don’t want clubs to benefit - putting the onus on the clubs to develop players for other clubs is just so ridiculous I can’t comprehend that even the AFL could be this stupid? Just inviting corruption for the sake of it.

It’s so simple just make clubs pay close to market rate, although they should get some type of discount for paying to bring these kids through from 12yo to be the best players they can be and grow the game and improve the league.
AFL loves to destroy the NGA system when the Father-Son has been the biggest rot

Remove this Banner Ad

Back