News NGA changes for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Quaynor also made the all australian team so I don't think top 20 is a stretch.

It's the same effect. If you know a player before going into a game you're looking for them, you notice their contributions.

The best thing a young player can do to lift their profile before the draft is to get in front of a camera or on a newspaper, it will have the self perpetuating AFL media repeating each other's opinions as fact, validating each other with the repeat of the same opinions. Seriously, there is a media figure who doesn't watch the majority of players at all in any live sense and is considered an expert on the draft, purely from collating reports of others.

The only metric with which to grade the players is the actual draft. Where someone actually has some skin in the game.

It's the same effect. If you know a player before going into a game you're looking for them, you notice their contributions.

The best thing a young player can do to lift their profile before the draft is to get in front of a camera or on a newspaper, it will have the self perpetuating AFL media repeating each other's opinions as fact, validating each other with the repeat of the same opinions. Seriously, there is a media figure who doesn't watch the majority of players at all in any live sense and is considered an expert on the draft, purely from collating reports of others.

The only metric with which to grade the players is the actual draft. Where someone actually has some skin in the game.

So there's no need to get so fired up about Blakey going to Sydney then because until he's drafted we have no idea what his value is?

You have a real Donald Trump/ Putin/ Fox News way of arguing.

So we have no idea how good Blakey or Thomas or Walsh or Rankine or Lukosuis are being the media or All Australian selection panel don't rate them on merit?

So there's no need to get so fired up about Blakey going to Sydney then because until he's drafted we have no idea what his value is?

You have a real Donald Trump/ Putin/ Fox News way of arguing.

So we have no idea how good Blakey or Thomas or Walsh or Rankine or Lukosuis are being the media or All Australian selection panel don't rate them on merit?
I wouldn't begin to criticise someone else's style when your own is to take what you believe they have said to a ridiculous extreme and pass it off as their own words.

Blakey going to Sydney is a bigger problem for North Melbourne than it is the rest of the competition, they are the ones who should be most aggrieved, the rest of us weren't ever getting a chance at him anyway.

The collective "we" has no idea about the ranking of the next draft of players. Most people read opinions of those who may or may not know what they are talking about, they read the same opinion repeated by someone else and now in their mind it is validated as truth.

You need only look at the AFL AA selection process to see how flawed they can be. Reputation going in hugely impacts the result, with rhetorical backwards justifications for selection like "who do you leave out for them to get in?" even if statistically they out perform nearly all.

Did you remember Matt Priddis wining a best and fairest of the AFL and not being good enough to make the AA team?

It is a known psychological circumstance. If you know something going into judgement of it against unknown others you will favour that which you know. That's why terrible pop music is repeated over and over on the radio until you start to think you might like it.

I wouldn't begin to criticise someone else's style when your own is to take what you believe they have said to a ridiculous extreme and pass it off as their own words.

Blakey going to Sydney is a bigger problem for North Melbourne than it is the rest of the competition, they are the ones who should be most aggrieved, the rest of us weren't ever getting a chance at him anyway.

The collective "we" has no idea about the ranking of the next draft of players. Most people read opinions of those who may or may not know what they are talking about, they read the same opinion repeated by someone else and now in their mind it is validated as truth.

You need only look at the AFL AA selection process to see how flawed they can be. Reputation going in hugely impacts the result, with rhetorical backwards justifications for selection like "who do you leave out for them to get in?" even if statistically they out perform nearly all.

Did you remember Matt Priddis wining a best and fairest of the AFL and not being good enough to make the AA team?

It is a known psychological circumstance. If you know something going into judgement of it against unknown others you will favour that which you know. That's why terrible pop music is repeated over and over on the radio until you start to think you might like it.

Doesn't suit my argument. Fake News. Sad.

Suns. As well as father son at Geelong and North I think. Not in Twomeys top 20.

But it looks like Collingwood and North after this year will have as many first round academy selections as Brisbane and the Suns.

I didn’t realize the draft had already been.

How about you name Sydney and GWS’ academy selections?

But using Northern teams logic, if we turn those indigenous kids into AFL players it means that it increases the talent pool for everyone. Hey, we cant draft all these kids we will be producing....

You grow, you get first dibs on them. Fine by me. End of the day even this needs a pick to be used to get the kid in question, so rest of the club's picks will move up by one. I don't understand the issue.

From what I have been told, from 2019, the national U15 All Nations and Kickstart comps will be scraped in favour of states developing their own systems. Players will still be eligible for the World 18 and Flying Boomerangs which will still be apart of the National U16 tournament.

Unless he misspoke I find the recent comments from West Coasts list manager a little worrying. On the road to the draft he commented about how they had largely left Jarrod Cameron to his own this year with his WAFL team. Now it may just be a figure of speech but if true it certainly questions what level of input into a persons career entitles you to have first access to them at a discount. I remember GWS having to prove to the AFL a few years back that their level of involvement with some of the Riverina boys was sufficient to grant them access.

Its interesting that it took 4 years for the first of the academies to produce a first round talent (Heeney for the swans, hipwood for the lions) yet here we are in the second year of the NGA academies and we're already looking at possible multiple first round players, both of whom were well entrenched in football backgrounds pre the NGA academies, with Thomas taking home the u16 div 2 medal and Quaynor being offered an afl scholarship for highschool. Perhaps there should have been a bit of an exclusion for players who were already in higher systems for the first few years until there had been some development factor added.

Yes i'm aware of the fact that brisbane have an academy, however the northern academies were implemented with an entirely different agenda. They were there to increase draftee and participation rates (and especially conversion rates from auskick to senior football) from two states with a hugely disproportionate lack of afl players on a population basis.

NGA academies were established for the below

A key objective of the NGA's is to increase the talent pool of Indigenous and Multicultural players. These groups are significantly under-represented in the AFL comparative to the population, and therefore AFL Clubs are incentivised through draft concessions for their role in growing this talent pool. However, the primary function of the NGA's is to provide a Club based talent program to all kids, using the AFL Clubs' profile and expertise to raise awareness and interest in the programs.

The two goals there are very interesting. Firstly the statement about indigenous australians being significantly under represented is completely false. We're talking 3.3% of the population making up about 10% of the AFL system. As for the multicultural figures in 2016 49% of the country were either born overseas or had at least one parent born overseas. beyond that its hard to gleen out the statistics, it would have been nice for the AFL to supply them to back up their reasoning behind them.

Still overall i don't think the concept of these academies, both northern or NGA are a bad thing TBH and the AFL have clearly implemented the latter to help fight a generational battle for talent with Soccer as well as to improve community outcomes for indigenous communities, neither of which I disagree with. I think with both academies the issue is the bidding system. What I think most people have issue with is the ability to trade out first and second round picks and then still grab first and second round talent, with particular focus on the first. Its something they definitely need to look at, and not buy stopping players being taken in the first round as academy selections, all academies need good stories and heroes to point to to keep attracting players to them, and therefore the game of Australian Rules Football. However I think that if a team wants a first or second round talent from an academy, then they have to give up at minimum a pick in that corresponding round, either this years or nexts. Sure it limits how they can trade away picks, but thats just how it goes. The pickup of a top 20 selection with a myriad of lower picks is the issue, you shouldn't have your cake and eat it too.

How it works in practice would be an bit of an issue and it would force clubs to be a bit more conservative in trading away their future first round picks, but so be it. Perhaps if you didn't have a current first round pick, and a first round bid comes in you lose the points of your next years pick, taking it back to wherever it lands. If you don't have a next years first round pick then bad luck, you don't get the option to match.

I think thats a better outcome IMO than the scrapping of the academies altogether.

Unless he misspoke I find the recent comments from West Coasts list manager a little worrying. On the road to the draft he commented about how they had largely left Jarrod Cameron to his own this year with his WAFL team. Now it may just be a figure of speech but if true it certainly questions what level of input into a persons career entitles you to have first access to them at a discount. I remember GWS having to prove to the AFL a few years back that their level of involvement with some of the Riverina boys was sufficient to grant them access.

Its interesting that it took 4 years for the first of the academies to produce a first round talent (Heeney for the swans, hipwood for the lions) yet here we are in the second year of the NGA academies and we're already looking at possible multiple first round players, both of whom were well entrenched in football backgrounds pre the NGA academies, with Thomas taking home the u16 div 2 medal and Quaynor being offered an afl scholarship for highschool. Perhaps there should have been a bit of an exclusion for players who were already in higher systems for the first few years until there had been some development factor added.

Yes i'm aware of the fact that brisbane have an academy, however the northern academies were implemented with an entirely different agenda. They were there to increase draftee and participation rates (and especially conversion rates from auskick to senior football) from two states with a hugely disproportionate lack of afl players on a population basis.

NGA academies were established for the below

The two goals there are very interesting. Firstly the statement about indigenous australians being significantly under represented is completely false. We're talking 3.3% of the population making up about 10% of the AFL system. As for the multicultural figures in 2016 49% of the country were either born overseas or had at least one parent born overseas. beyond that its hard to gleen out the statistics, it would have been nice for the AFL to supply them to back up their reasoning behind them.

Still overall i don't think the concept of these academies, both northern or NGA are a bad thing TBH and the AFL have clearly implemented the latter to help fight a generational battle for talent with Soccer as well as to improve community outcomes for indigenous communities, neither of which I disagree with. I think with both academies the issue is the bidding system. What I think most people have issue with is the ability to trade out first and second round picks and then still grab first and second round talent, with particular focus on the first. Its something they definitely need to look at, and not buy stopping players being taken in the first round as academy selections, all academies need good stories and heroes to point to to keep attracting players to them, and therefore the game of Australian Rules Football. However I think that if a team wants a first or second round talent from an academy, then they have to give up at minimum a pick in that corresponding round, either this years or nexts. Sure it limits how they can trade away picks, but thats just how it goes. The pickup of a top 20 selection with a myriad of lower picks is the issue, you shouldn't have your cake and eat it too.

How it works in practice would be an bit of an issue and it would force clubs to be a bit more conservative in trading away their future first round picks, but so be it. Perhaps if you didn't have a current first round pick, and a first round bid comes in you lose the points of your next years pick, taking it back to wherever it lands. If you don't have a next years first round pick then bad luck, you don't get the option to match.

I think thats a better outcome IMO than the scrapping of the academies altogether.

Jarrod Cameron regularly trained with the club through out the year.
Also watch the recent channel 7 interview with Jarrod Cameron he speaks about the work he has done with wce and the players he bonded
with
And how at AFL level they talk a total, different language about football

Also Rohan O'Brien is based on the east coast of the country not in WA

Last edited:
So this NGA stuff is targeting those from indigenous and “multicultural” backgrounds. Anyone know how they define multicultural?

A friend’s son has been invited. He’s Australian born, Australian Mum, Northern European (not British) Dad. Surfs, plays footy, tennis, cricket etc.. I’m surprised that he qualifies for NGA.

What about those born to British parents? Or born in Britain themselves?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this NGA stuff is targeting those from indigenous and “multicultural” backgrounds. Anyone know how they define multicultural?

A friend’s son has been invited. He’s Australian born, Australian Mum, Northern European (not British) Dad. Surfs, plays footy, tennis, cricket etc.. I’m surprised that he qualifies for NGA.

https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/AFL/Files/AFL Rules_2018.pdf
Rule 15.2 covers it.
Based on what you said, doesn't look eligible to me, (unless I missed something).

This article in today's age explains the multicultural element this way

But Collingwood didn’t find Quaynor from obscurity and develop him into a player worthy of being selected in the first round. The Magpies simply discovered that Quaynor – who had played footy most of his life and hailed from Paul Roos’ old club, Beverly Hills – qualified because his father had an African background. NGA players must have African, Asian or Indigenous heritage.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ext-generation-academies-20181121-p50hhx.html

Isn't it a bit presumptuous of you to think you have a full understanding of your friends family heritage? There would be no reason for him to be invited if he didn't qualify.

Also lol at listing that he "Surfs, plays footy, tennis, cricket" as reason you think he might not qualify.:drunk:

But Collingwood didn’t find Quaynor from obscurity and develop him into a player worthy of being selected in the first round. The Magpies simply discovered that Quaynor – who had played footy most of his life and hailed from Paul Roos’ old club, Beverly Hills – qualified because his father had an African background. NGA players must have African, Asian or Indigenous heritage.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ext-generation-academies-20181121-p50hhx.html

Isn't it a bit presumptuous of you to think you have a full understanding of your friends family heritage? There would be no reason for him to be invited if he didn't qualify.
That bolded bit is confusing to me - bloke I sit next to at work told me verbatim yesterday his son is in St Kilda's NGA, "because I was born in the Ukraine".

That bolded bit is confusing to me - bloke I sit next to at work told me verbatim yesterday his son is in St Kilda's NGA, "because I was born in the Ukraine".

Maybe this then?

As well as residing in a certain club's region, to be eligible the player must be born or have one parent born in Asia or Africa; be of Indigenous background residing in a remote region; or have both parents born in a non-English speaking country (not Asia or Africa).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-27/academy-rules-tweaked-to-give-overlooked-talent-another-chance

Are you sure the kids mum was born in Australia?

Why don't the AFL set up it's own academies in SA and WA for the excluded regions? Then let any club nominate any player it likes from these academies. If more than one club nominates then the player decides his preferred club.

Also lol at listing that he "Surfs, plays footy, tennis, cricket" as reason you think he might not qualify.:drunk:

Isn’t it a bit presumptious of you to assume i don’t know his heritage?

I listed those interests not as if qualifying criteria, merely as indicators this kid is fully integrated in Australian society and has been since birth. My understanding of the intention behind this stuff was that it was to encourage under-privileged or in some way disadvantaged kids to get an AFL career, not to give clubs a free kick with kids already well established in the AFL pathway.

This kid’s spent all of his school life at one of the best private schools. It just seems that these rules are going to be open to be expanded beyond thr original purpose.

Last edited:
For those interested, in regards to the annual All Nations competition, Fremantle and West Coast were planning on playing 2 games this year but both were cancelled due to weather and conflicting schedules. Instead they'll host a couple of training sessions before mutually deciding on who will form the WA All Nations Squad. The squad will then train and play a couple of fixtures amongst themselves before determining who gets to represent the World squad later this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back