Player Watch Nick Daicos

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought he was one of our best again tonight. His work rate is just incredible, such a good runner already.

His vision and kicking is obviously special but I'm also just so impressed at his ability to just take the game on ... When we have gone flat offensively he'll make an aggressive play that forces us to get back to playing attacking footy and start taking chances again. He has it all - talent, work ethic and confidence.

He was hurting after that tackle.

A few mins later they showed him on the bench grimacing and favoring his ribs. The camera goes back to the action and then back to Nick like 5 seconds later and he's chomping at the bit to get back on.

F***in' love this kid!

He was really hurting. I stopped watching the game and concentrated on the bench after he came off. Was very concerned for him, and very relieved to see him standing back at the interchange.

In the frenzy of our games this season, and the weekly emotional roller coaster (Footy Gods - can we please have a break and win big for once?) Naicos is still not getting as much recognition as he deserves. The fact that a first year player is behind so much of our most creative football is extraordinary.

My only criticism of him is the constant, (almost incessant) calling for the ball.
Specifically the ones in the back pocket.
Where he gets hemmed in and forced to rush his disposal.
Other than that, heā€™s not a bad player šŸ˜‰

My only criticism of him is the constant, (almost incessant) calling for the ball.
Your joking right the more we have the ball in his hands the better

Generally I agree.
I was talking about specific instances only.
Each to their own šŸ‘šŸ»
Actually he's not quite good enough physically yet to absorb the physical punishment coming his way for the rest of this season and the next AND continue to produce elite plays constantly.

Let's not forget he's AFL physicality is 2 years behind his calendar age due to Covid.

Happy for us to use other avenues sometimes for the present.

Generally I agree.
I was talking about specific instances only.
Each to their own šŸ‘šŸ»
Love that he demands it but all this trying to create can catch him out at times. My son is 9 was going for the Eagles and nick is changing him to the pies so even can't do no wrong in my eyesšŸ¤£

Fantastic game again from Nick. I thought he was very stiff not to get 50m when Fritsch hit him from the side. Must have been touch and go whether Fritsch was in the protected zone before the ump called play on.
Was similar to the Lions defender (Gardiner?) who marked then got mugged by the bloke on the mark in the final seconds against Richmond last weekend.

Other than that, heā€™s not a bad player

I see that incessant calling for the ball as a positive. He wants the ball in his hands and does something with it. I can see how it can be a criticism.

How often have we seen him in tight spaces or positions where he creates. Hawthorn kick to Jaicos for goal. Tonightā€™s handball with two players on him to jaicos for goal.

Thatā€™s why he wants the ball. He will take the heat of the contest and create for others.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fantastic game again from Nick. I thought he was very stiff not to get 50m when Fritsch hit him from the side. Must have been touch and go whether Fritsch was in the protected zone before the ump called play on.
Was similar to the Lions defender (Gardiner?) who marked then got mugged by the bloke on the mark in the final seconds against Richmond last weekend.
We were pretty stiff with the 50m penalties last night.
Howe kicked the ball after a free was paid, 50 (rightfully so). It happened about 3 times aftwards with Melbourne players disposing of the ball after a free, nothing.

Why not give it to him as he uses it s well?

Can this God be nominated again?

31 disposals
5 tackles
10 intercept possessions
10 contested possessions for the haters who say he canā€™t get a hardball

Ps that holding the ball decision which left him injured was disgusting.
And he was top 6 on the ground for pressure acts in one of the highest pressure games of the year.

Not that we would ever do it. But what would Nick be worth in a trade? I can't think of a single player in the league that I would him trade for.

Not that we would ever do it. But what would Nick be worth in a trade? I can't think of a single player in the league that I would him trade for.
He's in that class of strictly untouchable. Similar level to Max King and Sam Walsh - a player you build around, not move.

He is a once in a lifetime player you can build a team around him much like Gretsky was in ice hockey we just need a few hard nuts to look after him while he is young he will have every bit as much attention as Jack does now they are starting to realise how much he contributes already. I do not want him at the coalface he is far to valuable for that absolute game changer.

PS watch slapshot those goons are we need for nick.

Youā€™d use the Judd trade as a baseline, so two top 3 picks and a second rounder, or the equivalent of that.

If anyone wants to review. 18:25 left in the fourth is the tackle on Daics. Fritsch was inside the protected zone and had applied the tackle before the umpire had called play on. It should have been 50 despite what that tool says on Twitter (referring of course to the page @hasumpstuffedup)

If anyone wants to review. 18:25 left in the fourth is the tackle on Daics. Fritsch was inside the protected zone and had applied the tackle before the umpire had called play on. It should have been 50 despite what that tool says on Twitter (referring of course to the page @hasumpstuffedup)

Yeah my take was that he took the mark and then advanced and was off. I was not surprised in the least when he was tackled and thought the decision made was correct and obvious.

There were many other occasions I thought Melbourne players ā€œwrapped upā€ our boys after a mark where they werenā€™t involved in the contest, and should have been slapped with a 50m for delaying the game.

Yeah my take was that he took the mark and then advanced and was off. I was not surprised in the least when he was tackled and thought the decision made was correct and obvious.

There were many other occasions I thought Melbourne players ā€œwrapped upā€ our boys after a mark where they werenā€™t involved in the contest, and should have been slapped with a 50m for delaying the game.
It's something that has wormed it's way into the game because the AFL has - as usual - allowed interpretation to undermine the rule.

You don't get that in Soccer or Rugby or Gridiron the rules are simple clear cut and iron clad.

Thanks for posting that. I was hoping to see a replay and see if my eyes had deceived me at the ground.

Now with a proper review they didnā€™t! He was clearly tackled before the umpire had called play on and a 50m penalty was what should have been called. Why didnā€™t the commentators jump straight on it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back