MRP / Trib. NicNat Watch. Tribunal Edition

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
This thread is for dedicated NicNat discussion for the remainder of 2019. Where his injury is at, any skerricks of info coming out of the club, opinion on whether he can come back into the team if he doesn’t play against the Hawks or if he does come back, how will he be used, etc.

I’ll start off.

I remain optimistic that he can overcome his injury in time for finals. However, as of now, Simmo has stated that he won’t be back during the H&A rounds. If we take him at his word, this will mean it is a qualifying final or bust. [UNLESS, we lose the QF, maybe he could be squeezed back in for a semi-final. Maybe.] Heading into a QF, I’d be happy to give Nic 50% game time, knowing he will have an impact on our clearance rate.

Thoughts?

Eagleboy68

Cancelled
Jun 11, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Sadly I don't think he will be back this year.

Doubts about his injury prone leg issues for his career imo.
I'd hate it to be true but it's been 3 years since he did the first knee.

Long term I think he needs to lose some bulk off his frame.

Sep 10, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
The knee doc that they sent him to in the US was perfectly happy with Nic at his current size. The doc’s experience with NFL and NBA players of Nic’s size and bigger coming back well was his rationale.

If someone wants to do a link search to corroborate, feel free.

woosha24

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes, "strides" is what Simmo called it. Refer to his press conference on Thursday or Friday. He didn't out and out call it "running" but I think it's what he was alluding to. He reeled off a step by step list of the boxes Nic had to tick.

WTF? "Strides"? What am I supposed to do with that?

Media: "So Simmo, has NicNat progressed to running yet?"

Simmo: "Nic is undergoing a very structured rehab program right now. The club physios inform me that Nic has progressed into what is medically known as "Doing The Mario" phase, and we will work up from there".

Media: "Doing the Mario?"

Simmo: "Yeah, like the song. Swing your arms from side-to-side, c'mon its time to go, Do The Mario! Take one step, and then again, lets Do the Mario, all together now".

Media: "...….that just sounds like walking"

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I don't think his genetic make up will allow him to lose too much weight.
He probably works his butt off just to be the weight he is.
I am sure he will be back this year but def won't be rushed back even though it would be good to give him a run before finals.
If he did play the Hawks game with limited minutes at least he would get the bye week for a rest.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
If he is fit enough to contest 20-30 stoppages then he should be rushed back (includes the GF if we get that far). Turns our most obvious weakness into dominance. Yesterday was a perfect illustration. Adelaide constantly winning field position out of stoppages buying time enough to roll a couple of extra defenders back, also three quick goals scored directly from the centre clearances after we had kicked a goal. If we had lost that is the reason right there.

Last edited:

Bestbird

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts
I love that we're debating what a "stride" is.

He can either run, or he cant. If he cant, put him on ice for next year.

Could either be

1. Walk with long, decisive steps in a specified direction

2. A step or stage in progress towards an aim

3. He has taking up a knew hobby "Denoting or relating to a rhythmic style of jazz piano playing in which the left hand alternately plays single bass notes on the downbeat and chords an octave higher on the upbeat"

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
Nah - you never, ever take injured/doubtful players into a Grand Final.

Just ask Jeremy McGovern :)

Be an interesting few weeks ahead of us. Almost like waiting on news of the 'royal birth' - Said in JEST - OOOOOKKKKKAAAAAAAYYYY

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Play him with Jabs to get through if needed. Absolutely the type of player we should be rushing in and taking the risk on. If he can run over the next week or so and can handle the pain if there’s any, then he’s gotta play. Maybe train him until our second final, whenever that happens to be.
Yep and in the meantime we should be smashing the poor bastard with heaps of cardio

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think his genetic make up will allow him to lose too much weight.
He probably works his butt off just to be the weight he is.
I am sure he will be back this year but def won't be rushed back even though it would be good to give him a run before finals.
If he did play the Hawks game with limited minutes at least he would get the bye week for a rest.
I also blame genetics

00e713fa61253e75a09f9c9fea1c8dbb.gif

Back