News NMFC AFLW 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

When a person's membership is tied directly to the club's having a women's team or not, something is wrong.

Are membership costs going to go up to accommodate women's footy?

Surely being on every NAB ad means you're the best player from the best team in the comp?

Nah it does mean if North try to recruit this person Puma will tip in s**t loads to take them off the market.

Rules be damned.

Surely being on every NAB ad means you're the best player from the best team in the comp?
She's a spud. Been a total bust at this level.

She's a spud. Been a total bust at this level.
She actually played some decent games this season as the Pies made their late charge (off the bottom of the table). Well short of expectations, but then expectations were ludicrous. I suspect she is one of a number of players for whom AFLW arrived a bit late.

Be interesting to see how that club approaches next season - if they go for a high-performing marquee (like Erin Phillips, as rumoured), Mo may well be looking for a new home.

It would be great to see a few more Melbourne Uni players in our side - already at home at Arden St and with Laura Kane, and a few have already pulled on the jumper in preseason 2017.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Btw if anyone is wondering still about the value of participating, I heard the other day that AFL surveys of AFLW crowds indicate a large proportion of fans are NOT existing AFL club members and supporters - this is an opportunity for genuine growth.

She has an excellent "Yep im a well rounded person in general but once
The club sent me an email about this.

Am I supposed to get excited?

You should mate, if you care about the club's financial health and long term future, which I know you do deeply.

You should mate, if you care about the club's financial health and long term future, which I know you do deeply.

Short term for the political payoff is okay, but in the long run it will end up draining more than it returns.

As a spectacle, it's a joke.

Short term for the political payoff is okay, but in the long run it will end up draining more than it returns.

The great thing is the club will continue on the path it is, becoming more wealthy and relevant in the community it is based in and won't be taking notes from self-obsessed chauvinists that wouldn't know how to run a lemonade stall.

Depends what you want to get out of footy. I recall you saying in preseason that you'd be likely get more enjoyment out of the VFL than AFL this year, so you're not an 'only the elite level is worth watching' type. For my part, I'll happily watch whatever level I happen to be walking past. I enjoy the VFL when I can get to it, go out of my way to watch Fitzroy ammos a couple of times a year, I expect I'll seek out some APS footy this year, I go to a couple of International Cup games when they come around, I've caught OAFL games in Toronto. IMO the women's game has a bit to offer as a spectacle. They crack in and the AFLW level produces some genuine highlights.

Kearney's a great get. Penetrating kick by women's standards and knows how to find it. Nice thing about that highlights vid is that unlike the pre-draft ones it's already against the best.

Hopefully as she says it will make it an easier call for some others. Jess Wuetschner and Britney Gibson are Tasmanians playing for the Lions, Kait Ashmore up there is from MUFC and apparently in Boomer's "spark" gang. Would expect at least 1 and hopefully 2 of those 3. Any AFLW connected people know who else would be on the radar?

Are membership costs going to go up to accommodate women's footy?

When the women's team are bringing in dollars will you complain?

Mate, are you complaining about the recent upgrade for Arden Street, that gives our men's side at both levels far better facilities, and directly benefits the men's senior side by allowing for the stand alone VFL team to train and play together?

Coz I can tell you 100 per cent, take it to the bank, the word of God, that it wouldn't have happened without the women's side.

I honestly don't see why someone who is committed to the club as you has a problem with the opportunity of MASSIVELY growing our revenue and reach.

If this were something like the English Premier League women's comp which isn't a big crowd or revenue generator compared to the men's, I'd agree that a club of limited resources like ours needs to be careful.

But the crowds are there for AFLW, the league is chucking money at it, GOVERNMENT is chucking money at it.

If you're not interested in it, or don't want to go, no drama, nobody is forcing you.

But to deny it is a massive financial opportunity for the club - and one that has already shown a massive benefit with the upgrade - is just wrong.

Personally, all I want someone - anyone - wearing a North jumper to do is put their head over the ball and go when it is their turn.

And it looks like Emma Kearney does that in spades.

It will get better pretty quickly as more players come in who have been playing for a longer time, and since they were kids.

It will also get better as the game professionalises.

I reckon the first great AFLW team will be the one that is fittest, and the fittest team will be that which can devote the most time to the game.

My own view is that an AFLW team that just runs and runs its opponents off its feet, and uses handball more than long kicks to minimize skill deficiencies, will win most of the games it plays.

As someone who loves footy, I'm finding the evolution of the sport itself in a different setting as it were fascinating.

Put it this way, I'd much rather watch the North girls play than the blokes AFLX crap.

And this, this will be proven wrong in bucketloads.

It will bring tens of millions into the club that we didn't have before, and had no hope of accessing without it.

Put it this way, I'd much rather watch the North girls play than the blokes AFLX crap.

I'd rather watch paint dry and I don't know a single person that has bothered to go and watch the stuff.

Some North supporters will latch on because its North, women's football has got an enormous free piggy back ride by utilising the AFL's exposure. If the same girls were back playing in the traditional women's comps no one would have muttered a word about this stuff. It wouldn't exist.

And this, this will be proven wrong in bucketloads.

It will bring tens of millions into the club that we didn't have before, and had no hope of accessing without it.

Tens of millions in what will probably be a single political grant, then I highly suspect the feminazi faction will swing in to top gear and the women will put their hands out and demand money they aren't generating.

They better not jack up our memberships to fund this stuff. Separate AFLW memberships thanks. No more piggybacks.

It will get better pretty quickly as more players come in who have been playing for a longer time, and since they were kids.
I think we already saw that starting to happen this year. The high draft picks were instant impact players. Molloy, Conti, Toogood, Randall, Jones were all important players for their teams, not just "good first year".

I'd rather watch paint dry and I don't know a single person that has bothered to go and watch the stuff.

You do seem pretty engaged for someone who cares so little mate - smartarse winky smiley facey thing

I'll be going to as many games as possible. Only reason I haven't gone to an AFLW game so far is North don't have a team.

I wouldn't turn up and watch Carlton vs Melbourne in the blokes either ffs

Some North supporters will latch on because it women's football has got an enormous free piggy back ride by utilising the AFL's exposure. If the same girls were back playing in the traditional women's comps no one would have muttered a word about this stuff.

Tens of millions in what will probably be a single political grant, then I highly suspect the feminazi faction will swing in to top gear and the women will put their hands out and demand money they aren't generating.

The better not jack up our memberships to fund this stuff. Separate AFLW memberships thanks. No more piggybacks.

No, then tens of millions will come in year on year growth.

Though I do agree there should be separate memberships, albeit a leg up period at the start (which will be funded by the AFL and govt). But after say three years, yep, separate memberships. They are different seasons after all.

If you want to go to the women's, get a membership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back