Oppo Camp Non-Essendon AFLW Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I Understand the Overton window round here can be a circle quote difficult to stretch but let me just ask, would a bloke who's an accused stalker and meth head be allowed to coach young athletes in this day and age?

Why would it make it ok that said person now identifies as female?

Wce seriously considering Laidley as their AFLw coach seems more PR stunt than wise decision. Sure you can say if she has the best cv why count her out? I'd suggest previous indiscretions in this case count for lots when mentoring a team of young women.

I Understand the Overton window round here can be a circle quote difficult to stretch but let me just ask, would a bloke who's an accused stalker and meth head be allowed to coach young athletes in this day and age?

Why would it make it ok that said person now identifies as female?

Wce seriously considering Laidley as their AFLw coach seems more PR stunt than wise decision. Sure you can say if she has the best cv why count her out? I'd suggest previous indiscretions in this case count for lots when mentoring a team of young women.
You would hope that gender is a non-factor, should be the best applicant for the job (insofar as they're willing to accept the salary, which is probably meagre).

You would hope that gender is a non-factor, should be the best applicant for the job (insofar as they're willing to accept the salary, which is probably meagre).
Not talking gender, talking mistermeanors, how many ppl are allowed back in the industry after such crimes?

Carey comes to mind but only media, What's cousins up to?

Not sure many would be closely mentoring young people after what she was accused of less than 3 years ago

Not talking gender, talking mistermeanors, how many ppl are allowed back in the industry after such crimes?

Carey comes to mind but only media, What's cousins up to?

Not sure many would be closely mentoring young people after what she was accused of less than 3 years ago
That's what I mean. You said it seems like a PR stunt, I inferred that her gender identity was the reason it would resonate with PR people and agree that it shouldn't be a defining factor of her application for the job.

If the PR is that important, I'm sure there are plenty of suitably qualified coaches from under-represented groups that they could consider who aren't accused of those misdemeanours.

But even then, the PR should come after the appointment, not before it. Dog wagging the tail, etc.

Didn't prior refuse the rainbow jumper or something? It would be a full pr pendulum swing that's for sure
That's what I mean. You said it seems like a PR stunt, I inferred that her gender identity was the reason it would resonate with PR people and agree that it shouldn't be a defining factor of her application for the job.

If the PR is that important, I'm sure there are plenty of suitably qualified coaches from under-represented groups that they could consider who aren't accused of those misdemeanours.

But even then, the PR should come after the appointment, not before it. Dog wagging the tail, etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I am a fan of playing someone behind the ball in AFLW just yet. The game is not advanced enough at this stage. It was a good game but it could have been so much more.

didn't we offer her our job before she'd even done those things?
yep.

They made a big song and dance about needing a Level 4 coaching qual for AFL, I think AFLW is Level 3. Seems odd that there isn't some sort of practical component required as well.

Surely we're not saying leading an AFLW program is equivalent to an assistant gig at an AFL team, where the only experience you need is being a former player and perhaps some sort of development coaching with a state side? heck the pay is probably better as an AFL assistant... but surely the actual job requires more skill leading an entire program.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back