Workshop Non-Footy Designs - A No-Guernsey Area

Remove this Banner Ad

Been away for a while, got some new stuff here...
crosstownwhitesox.png

crosstowncubs.png

Since interleague play started in '97, the Cubs and White Sox had played two series every year, one on either side of Chicago. A couple years ago though, this was tweaked into one four-game series, two in Wrigley and two on the Southside. Anyway, these two sets aren't meant to replace the normal unis, just the crosstown series. White, light blue and red are the colors of Chicago's flag, which somewhat oddly only one Chicago team I can think of has worn as their permanent colors, the Red Stars of women's soccer (the Sox wore powder blue road uniforms with red lettering in the early 70s, the closest either baseball team has come, as the Cubs normally wear a rather dark royal blue).
Admittedly, the use of two different blues was arbitrary on my part, but I ended up liking the final result, so I went with it. For the occasion, I modified the White Sox sock to overlap a star, and the Cubs C to include a star within the dead space. The standing cub, aka the bear and bat, is at the same time my own creation yet not, as I basically broke the existing walking cub into a few pieces and rebuilt it so that it looked like a modernization of a much older emblem the Cubs wore off and on from 1908 to 1936. Yes, I know the spacing of the stars on that C is rather off, I meant to fix it but never got around to it.

Sauntering over to hockey, I'd ask everybody to ignore the litte stop signs on the jersey backs, but it'd be futile, and that's only because I recently found out that Junior C level hockey, at least in Canada, no longer requires them (they're there in the first place to warn young players against bodychecking into opponents' backs). Anyway, the Paris (Ontario) Mounties
parismountiesman.png

Much like the AFL, the teams in the Mounties' league commonly wear sponsors on their backs. Unlike footy, as it's generally small local outfits buying the ad space, it's common for most, of not all team members to wear different sponsors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May as well revive this thread...again...so I give you some more baseball, in particular New York's battle for diamond supremacy, the Subway Series
subwayseriesyankees.png

Given late May's generally warm enough for em, and I've thought they could pull them off, I gave the Yankees sleeveless jerseys for both home and away here. Given the Yanks have won the most World Series out of everybody, the addition of gold to the home whites, on the cap NY, trim on the jersey NY and back numbers, and pinstripes, is meant to assert their historic dominance. The grays, also vests, use navy pinstripes and a script Yankees over their longstanding hat and bat, something I'd used a few years ago and still liked enough to recycle.

subwayseriesmets.png

For the Mets, meanwhile, I took inspiration from the Dodgers and Giants, whose departure from NYC necessitated the Mets' founding (hell, so do they: the Mets came right out and said they took blue from the Dodgers, and orange from the Giants). The home white's checkerboard pattern is taken from the 1915 Brooklyn Dodgers, and the solid blue placket with METS over it vertically is taken from the 1910 Dodgers. The big N Y on the chest, meanwhile, is taken from various NY Giants jerseys worn during the 1900s. The road grays, unusually for baseball, use a completely different color scheme than the whites: black and violet, which the Giants had worn in 1916 along with the plaid pattern used here. Since I needed to throw in a nod to the Dodgers, I used a script New York on the front, which the Mets had worn for one season in the 80s. If the violet reminds you of the old Brisbane Bears' cerise, I meant for it to be a darker violet but never got around to changing it.

I'm gonna split my next contribution to the non-guernsey area in two separate posts, as I got a couple more baseball rivalries. Here goes the Freeway Series, between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Los Angeles Angels (yeh, the latter actually plays in Anaheim, which is kinda like how St. Kilda hasn't actually based itself in St. Kilda for a while now, except the traffic is probably worse :D)

Anyway, the Angels usually wear red with some navy blue, but for the home set, I elected to go with a temporary color change to orange, as Anaheim is located in Orange County. An orangish cream is also used instead of pure white. The traveling grays use shoulder stripes, which are rather rare in baseball, something I adapted from the Angels' namesakes, the Pacific Coast League's Los Angeles Angels (who did actually play in LA, and were displaced by the Dodgers in the late 50s...the two Angels are best distinguished by their differing pet names; the originals were often called the Seraphs, while the modern Angels are often called the Halos), but as pictures of that particular jersey proved hard to find, I decided to wing it, and get as close as I could to the script that jersey had, and added the modern Angels' trademark halo to the A.
freewayangels.png

Before I say anything about the Dodgers' set...have any cricketers ever played in shorts? Just asking cause the White Sox did so once in the late 70s. A few decades before them, though, the Hollywood Stars trotted out in pinstriped shorts and t-shirts. Yes, I'm serious. That was the inspiration behind the home set, shorts and all. An earlier Hollywood uniform is the basis behind the road uniform's look, more traditional in that pants are worn, but with distinctive sleeve stripes that I've honestly only ever seen on that old Stars uniform. The logo, I basically took the existing LA and integrated it with a star outline.
freewaydodgers.png

Hunter Pence eats popcorn with a fork. With that said, I give you the second half of my contribution, the Bay Bridge Series between the Oakland A's and San Francisco Giants.

Much like the Dodgers and Angels took inspiration from the two teams the former displaced, the A's rivalry set takes almost all of its inspiration from their predecessors, the Oakland Oaks, who were often represented by an acorn. So temporarily, the A's usual trademarks, a blackletter A and an elephant, sit things out in favor of an Old English O and acorns. The caps, despite their designations, are interchangeable.
athleticsrivalry.png

Hunter Pence wears white after Labor Day. With that said, here goes the Giants' set, which I unashamedly based on the greatest uniform to ever grace a basketball court, the San Francisco (now Golden State) Warriors' one of a kind "The City" uniforms, which featured the front number over the Golden Gate bridge, and the back number over a trolley car.
giantsrivalry.png

BONUS: LA Dodgers (vs Giants)...LA has a rather distinctive city flag, as I was originally going to do a Dodgers-Giants rivalry set before I took a suggestion to do A's-Giants instead. In retrospect, using the flag's colors on the home whites was not exactly a MENSA level decision, though it is one of those trainwrecks my approach is capable of producing. I'm happier with the road uni, to be honest.
dodgersrivalry.png

Last edited:
Klim tracing an existing logo as practice and posting it here is fine

Stating that you made it from scratch is really, really not on, especially when someone has specifically asked you if you traced it.

Discrim you continue to be one of the more creative contributors here. I love your work on the sportslogos forums as well. I'd love to see you get involved in some of the competitions here.

Klim tracing an existing logo as practice and posting it here is fine

Stating that you made it from scratch is really, really not on, especially when someone has specifically asked you if you traced it.

Discrim you continue to be one of the more creative contributors here. I love your work on the sportslogos forums as well. I'd love to see you get involved in some of the competitions here.
Well your early to the party. That was over a month ago. I've copped it and I've moved on.

Well your early to the party. That was over a month ago. I've copped it and I've moved on.
Yeah second that, he's hopefully learnt his lesson.

ah, I read 24th and assumed it was today.

good.
It's ok, everyone makes mistakes, even I rarely make one :hearts:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back