Oppo Camp Non Geelong football (AFL) discussion 2024, Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Ablett Jr was possibly the best player of the last 20 years.
Daicos is an excellent player and I like him but he has a long way to go to reach the dizzying heights of GAJ and unless he stops flopping every time he senses contact, he will never get there. It’s a massive blight on his game
Agreed.
ND however is excellent at such a young age, and already achieved so much.
A rare talent.
GAJ was super, but really set that standard from 07 onwards until about 2014. That level he reached was truly epic, but those years from 2001 to 2006, were not at that level, whereas Daicos has been near the # 1 player in the comp from his first year.

Agreed, but GAJ in his first 3 seasons was nowhere near this level.

Gaz in his first 3 seasons didn't play in a team who were perennially finals teams too, not to mention being played out of position. It was only when he went permanently into the midfield that he became the Gaz we now fondly remember.

Agreed.
ND however is excellent at such a young age, and already achieved so much.
A rare talent.
GAJ was super, but really set that standard from 07 onwards until about 2014. That level he reached was truly epic, but those years from 2001 to 2006, were not at that level, whereas Daicos has been near the # 1 player in the comp from his first year.
Daicos has been great very quickly.

But don’t buy into the Collingwood hype machine about him being the best player in the comp from his first year.

He is playing more midfield this year which I respect, but floating around at half back is about the easiest role in the league. Collingwood have managed him well and set him up to succeed, and he has done the job asked of him well, but the true elite mids and difference making forwards will always be more valuable than a high possession half back who doesn’t defend.

Daicos is brilliant and I love watching him play.
But do they really need to show his father EVERY time he kicks a goal? He’s his own player, they don’t need to be doing that.
Up until the last few games dad has been pretty buttoned up and almost consciously trying to stay under the radar. I kind of felt bad for him every time they showed him in the tv.

Last night he went full Tay-tay on the chiefs mode. Full corporate box, dry humping the misses after every goal, “get that up ya” salutes to the crowd. Look out Daics, the backlash is coming soon.

Up until the last few games dad has been pretty buttoned up and almost consciously trying to stay under the radar. I kind of felt bad for him every time they showed him in the tv.

Last night he went full Tay-tay on the chiefs mode. Full corporate box, dry humping the misses after every goal, “get that up ya” salutes to the crowd. Look out Daics, the backlash is coming soon.
I thought just on this occasion that it was hilarious. Backlash be damned.

It doesn’t matter who is the coach. That list has major holes.

If you look hard enough on all team they'll have a hole somewhere.

Their rucks and KPD are mediocre but at least fill the structural hole.
Dixon never plays a full season.

But pretty much everything else should be good enough to go deep in finals.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter who is the coach. That list has major holes.
This

port fans are rabid about not winning a flag and ignoring the realities of their list…and they are also delusional about the club’s previous “success” they have won one flag and that was a long long time ago. They keep talking about the 35 flags in the SANFL but that was a different club they didn’t even want to join the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaz in his first 3 seasons didn't play in a team who were perennially finals teams too, not to mention being played out of position. It was only when he went permanently into the midfield that he became the Gaz we now fondly remember.
and he was challenged by the team for being a bit lazy, was told he should be our Juddy, and the rest is history.

and he was challenged by the team for being a bit lazy, was told he should be our Juddy, and the rest is history.
Moreso regarding training. Ablett was still a very dynamic, electric small forward who would pop in the guts and offer great bursts. But wasn't handed the midfield keys until 2007. His next 8 years he was the best in the comp alongside Buddy in an era of stars. 5 League MVP's, 3 coaches association awards, 2 Brownlows (probably should've been 4 or 5) etc. Daicos is an absolute beauty already but will need to put together a similar near-decade run of absolute greatness to be in contention. Year 2 wasn't quite at that level (still top 10 in the comp which is ridiculous for a youngster) but was getting there.

Moreso regarding training. Ablett was still a very dynamic, electric small forward who would pop in the guts and offer great bursts. But wasn't handed the midfield keys until 2007. His next 8 years he was the best in the comp alongside Buddy in an era of stars. 5 League MVP's, 3 coaches association awards, 2 Brownlows (probably should've been 4 or 5) etc. Daicos is an absolute beauty already but will need to put together a similar near-decade run of absolute greatness to be in contention. Year 2 wasn't quite at that level (still top 10 in the comp which is ridiculous for a youngster) but was getting there.
Don't get me wrong, I loved GAJ as a player and person, best mid I've ever seen. Just think Nick Daicos has set an incredibly high standard so early in his career, and I think the comparisons are justified.

Don't get me wrong, I loved GAJ as a player and person, best mid I've ever seen. Just think Nick Daicos has set an incredibly high standard so early in his career, and I think the comparisons are justified.
True but careers don't just work in linear ways. So the whole extrapolation from year 3 is problematic. All we need to say is right now Daicos is already a great player and can worry about comparisons to other greats probably from when he's 25 or 26yo onwards at the very least.

If you look hard enough on all team they'll have a hole somewhere.

Their rucks and KPD are mediocre but at least fill the structural hole.
Dixon never plays a full season.

But pretty much everything else should be good enough to go deep in finals.
Their key defenders are nowhere near good enough. Their strength is the midfield but they don’t run both ways.

A decent coach could get them near contention, but it would take the best coach in the league (ie. Chris Scott) 3 years to have them all working in the perfect synch that would be necessary for them to become true contenders.

Funnily enough, they have been near contention for a couple of years now. Does that make Kenny a decent coach? I would argue yes.

There is only one Chris Scott.

Their key defenders are nowhere near good enough. Their strength is the midfield but they don’t run both ways.

A decent coach could get them near contention, but it would take the best coach in the league (ie. Chris Scott) 3 years to have them all working in the perfect synch that would be necessary for them to become true contenders.

Funnily enough, they have been near contention for a couple of years now. Does that make Kenny a decent coach? I would argue yes.

There is only one Chris Scott.

Because they wanted to compete now while they still have Dixon, in the last offseason they made a few bad recruitment calls to bring in the type players they needed, but because the best available was of poor quality it hasn't solved their problems. While burning some cap space

Their midfield core is quite young, they don't need to spend big in that area for the next 4-5 years. They have Marshall and Georgiades who are both solid talls and again in a similar age bracket.

When you have weaknesses you have to narrow your style of play to avoid them. last nights game was a great example of what not to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back